PDA

View Full Version : Turn rate on EFIS displays

Check Airman
20th Aug 2011, 05:37
I'm embarrassed to ask, but where is rate of turn indicated on modern EFIS displays? On Boeing/Airbus models, the ball is replaced by an indication under the roll index, but how do you know if you're turning at standard rate?

I assume if the AP is on, it will make standard rate turns if the TAS will allow, but how do you know if you're hand flying?

Denti
20th Aug 2011, 06:00
Standard turn rate is only applicable until around 180kts. Minimum clean speed is always higher than that on the boeings i fly, therefore standard turn rate is of no concern.

Check Airman
20th Aug 2011, 06:05
Why is standard rate only applicable below 180kt?

nitpicker330
20th Aug 2011, 06:13
Because you cannot achieve a RATE 1 turn inside 30deg AOB above 180 KIAS. Usually limited to 30 deg AOB at most levels ( it can be less depending on the situation and a/c type ) and at our speeds it's not possible achieve rate 1.
So we never use/refer to rate of turn or have a display of it.

Bank angle is more of a concern with reference to maneuver margins above stall.

On a Boeing there is a slip/skid indicator under the sky pointer at all times.
On a Airbus it is also a Beta target on t/o with an Engine out.

Nothing magical here.

Tmbstory
20th Aug 2011, 06:47
Not talking about the glass screen aircraft but as a guide for all aircraft, take the first two digits of the indicated airspeed, add seven, this gives you the angle of bank required for a standard rate of turn of three degrees per second,

Tmb

Check Airman
20th Aug 2011, 06:51
So once you're above say 2000ft, you'd be too fast to make a standard rate turn. Thanks.

compressor stall
20th Aug 2011, 13:29
And in the Airbus (can't speak for the Boeing), you'll get a different AoB at altitude depending on whether you're managed or selected laterally (i.e. DIRTO or Pull HDG). This will affect your Rate of Turn.

Bus Driver Man
20th Aug 2011, 16:23
So once you're above say 2000ft, you'd be too fast to make a standard rate turn. Thanks.
One of the reasons you often find a different outbound radial for Cat. C and D aircraft when flying a procedure turn for an approach.

Standard 25° bank (30° max), but at higher speeds this will be less than rate 1 and thus giving a bigger turning radius.