PDA

View Full Version : FastJets over Edinburgh?

Vortex5
17th Aug 2011, 16:22
Hey,

Recently there has been more fastjet activity over Edinburgh than usual, just now it sounded like 2 Typhoons flew over.. Is there a certain flight path back to Leuchars that consists of them flying over Edinburgh?

Just curious :)

overstress
17th Aug 2011, 16:35
The sky over Edinburgh is indeed connected to the sky over Leuchars. :hmm:

The type of airspace may be found by consulting the appropriate charts, which, as a picture paints a thousand words, I won't describe for you.

Such charts may be purchased from all good aviation suppliers.

PS: "Excuse me" is politer than "hey".

Monde
17th Aug 2011, 17:21
they are possibly connected with this months military tattoo. At least that's what the Notam says!.

hjn100
17th Aug 2011, 17:34
Vortex5 - not sure, probably a coincidence.
I never post on here, but I felt compelled to do so as a result of the idiotic reply from 'overstress' - not sure who rattled his cage, but suffice to say I would expect nothing else from a large amount of the people who post on here. If you are not in the service then I apologise on behalf of those of us who are and are not morons , if you are then I guess you understand where I am coming from.
Hope you find out the answer to your question.

FODPlod
17th Aug 2011, 18:28
Vortex5 - Welcome to the mess, er, site. While I have not been here that long myself, I've found most regular posters polite and accommodating (except towards those who genuinely deserve a flea in their ear).

hjn100 - Welcome to you, too. Like you, I hope Vortex5's perfectly reasonable question receives the civil answer it deserves (like Monde's) without any undue sarcasm.

handleturning
17th Aug 2011, 19:26
Was in Edinburgh couple of nights ago. There has been a regular flypast at 2100 by a Typhoon for the tattoo.

Unlike overstress we're not all morons

Vortex5
17th Aug 2011, 20:03
Cheers for the replies guys :)

handleturning - You are correct, A Typhoon just flew past at 2100hrs

A A Gruntpuddock
17th Aug 2011, 20:25
Heard them in Fife and wondered what was up. Bit boring after hearing the Vulcans and Lightnings yesteryear though.

matkat
18th Aug 2011, 07:30
AA ah so true.

overstress
18th Aug 2011, 21:36
I can assure you I'm not a moron or an idiot.

The OP's posting came over to me as a mundane spotter's question about flightpaths which I took literally ("is there a certain flightpath"), the answer to which is of course found on an airways chart.

If the question was "why are there a load of Typhoons around" I wouldn't have replied, as I don't know.

So I hope you aren't offended Vortex5, I'm glad you got the answer and could we all keep the personal insults out of this forum? :ok:

bingofuel
18th Aug 2011, 22:07
Vortex 5

If it helps, there is no specific airway connecting Edinburgh and Leuchars.

Edinburgh has a10nm radius control zone which is below the terminal manouvering area. The airways from down south link onto the TMA and descend into the control zone which have more restrictive rules as they are busier airspace.

Leuchars has a 5nm radius military air traffic zone around it but outside this zone is open airspace available to all.

Hope this answers your question in simplistic form

Cabbage_Crate
19th Aug 2011, 06:10
I know you Overstress!

XV277
21st Aug 2011, 21:07
To reply to the OP, there were two Typhoons over Edinburgh at that time last Wednesday, not sure why, bit early for the Tattoo that day.

10W
21st Aug 2011, 21:57
The airways from down south link onto the TMA and descend into the control zone which have more restrictive rules as they are busier airspace.

Not really. The TMA and Edinburgh Control Area/Zone are Class D airspace. The Airways from the South are either Class A (or Class C above FL195) and are therefore more restrictive.

Leuchars has a 5nm radius military air traffic zone around it but outside this zone is open airspace available to all.

The MATZ is also open to civil pilots without restriction, although anyone doing so would IMHO be showing poor airmanship. The airfield also has an Aerodrome Traffic Zone lying within the MATZ, 2.5NM radius centred on the longest runway and extending from the surface to 2000' above aerodrome level. Civil pilots need permission to enter this part of the airspace and, in the case of Leuchars, the notified period of establishment of this zone is H24.