PDA

View Full Version : Aeroflot Fleet Upgrade

xchox
17th Aug 2011, 03:20
Aeroflot orderd 50 787's and 50 350's which I personally think is not the best thing to do.

Also ordering MS-21's when they are not compatible with the current A320 family currently in operation?

An-148's I have heard have also been orderd. But they orderd SU100's already.

Now I know politics come into play but this is horrible.

There will be no aircraft commonality.
Cost of crew training goes up.
Cost of maintainence goes up.

and so forth.

Anyone else find this strange?

jdcg
17th Aug 2011, 07:57
Politics, innit!

WHBM
17th Aug 2011, 08:59
If you had one aircraft of each type, the additional costs would indeed be a very substantial percentage compared to having both of the same type.

However if you have 50 of each type that additional percentage cost diminishes to a very minor amount of the overall costs.

As well as extra costs, there are also savings that accrue when you have more than one source of supply. These are not very noticeable, if at all, when you have just one of each type, but increase when you get to large numbers. It is a general business principle, known as "Dual Sourcing".

An alternative name for Single Sourcing is "the supplier's got us by the throat".

Wessex Boy
26th Aug 2011, 09:58
An alternative name for Single Sourcing is "the supplier's got us by the throat".

Which is what Boeing thought of Easyjet until Airbus came up with a complete solution price that included support during the fleet-change period.

My Grandfather was Technical Director of Channel Airways from the '50s until it went bust in '73.

One of the things that did for channel was its vastly diverse fleet, bascially Jack Jones bought whatever was cheap at the time which gave my Grandfather a huge head-ache in terms of spares, skils and interchangability.

The inability to lengthen the runway at Southend in the late '60s to take the Comets and Tridents meant that they had to create a costly new maintenance base at Stansted which was also a large factor when the oil crisis hit