PDA

View Full Version : What radio station do you listern to on the NDB,ADF

trolleydollylover
12th Apr 2001, 01:07
Well,

We have had how old are you,
Where are you from,
What Airfield do you fly from

So if you can recieve local radio stations on your Nav Kit, who do you listern to?

PS Hands up if you Like Ronchommer

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 01:15
1. Atlantic 252, but it sounds $hite anyway, so I don't actually listen to it at all. I prefer the music of my Lycoming engine. (Lets me know I'm still alive :))

2. Hands down.

Pie

Patsy 001
12th Apr 2001, 02:01
Who or what the hell is Ronchonner and why has he/she became so infamous?

BJF
12th Apr 2001, 02:23
Elstree has no Nav-Aids but Capital Gold is about three mile final for 26 and directly in line with the runway.So we tune the ADF to 1548 and away we go. Tony Blackburn can really put you on edge at the best of times but can you imagine him on a hairy approach,
Frightening!!!!!

rolling circle
12th Apr 2001, 02:31
Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, Ronchonner is a sad little wannabee with a massive chip on his shoulder. He has yet to pass an exam or a flight test at the first attempt, it took him four tries to get the FAA private and he's currently on his third attempt at the commercial. His current instructor, who I spoke to last week, reports that there is little danger that he will ever pass as he has extreme difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time.

He tries to boost his, already over-inflated ego by coming up with all manner of unbelievable stories about what he flies and where but, of course, he just cannot get his head around the fact that everyone else in the world is better at flying that he is. He pretends to be french but can't even get that right, it's all a bit of a sad joke really.

He at least realises that he could never cope with the work required to gain a JAA licence - this irritates the hell out of him and results in the rambling anti-JAA rants that we have come to expect.

All-in-all, a twisted little under-achiever who will never make it as a pilot, deserves our pity rather than our contempt and should probably seek professional psychiatric help.

Any questions?

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 02:36
Serious face now, Rolling Circle:

Do you actually know Roncho in real life?

Pie

BJF
12th Apr 2001, 12:36
Rolling Circle.

If this is true then very well done for exposing the ****, but something tells me that we have not heard the last of Ronnie and that he is not going to crawl away and hide.

I am no fan of Ronchonner but I guess it has to be said that if someone keeps going back after failing as many times as he has, than he is one determined individual and must really want to fly pretty badly. Either that or he is completely stupid, which is probably more to the point.
NO OFFENCE OK
BJF

Capt Wannabee
12th Apr 2001, 12:46
I am personally a fan of the Ronch. I find his threads very amusing and they liven up my boring days at work. I would miss his ranting and raving and the abuse that gets hurled at him if he ever leaves to start a real full time flying job.

So Ronch on Ronchonner!

P.S I am starting a fan club if anyone wants to join.

------------------
Is that supposed to happen....??

[This message has been edited by Capt Wannabee (edited 12 April 2001).]

VFE
12th Apr 2001, 14:46
My guess is that Ronchonner is the same person who posts as henri.
"IP Logged" over to the bottom right should no doubt reveal the truth.

Can't wait for the outcome of the "PPRuNe Controversial Poster of The Next Millenium" contest at the Bash in June!
Suspense is killing me! ;)

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 12 April 2001).]

Rusty Cessna
12th Apr 2001, 15:16
Well back to the thread!

I have to admit once when learning ADF tracking I listened to some Devonshire crap, to make sure it was working, it was so bad I turned it off!

Is there any legality to listening to a Radio station through NAV kit?

Just wondered,
Rusty

Noggin
12th Apr 2001, 17:19
I think you will find thats what they were designed for.

Flypuppy
12th Apr 2001, 17:37
1215 - Virgin Radio
693/909 - BBC Radio 5 live
828 - Arrow Classic Rock (Dutch but the music is ok)
252 - Atlantic

If you want a list of AM radio stations go here : http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/8585/am1.html

Pontius
12th Apr 2001, 21:53
Well, I have to agree with Pielander that it ain't great, but Atlantic 252 is about the only thing you can get when at 40 West and on the way home. It's a tad scratchy (gets better the closer you get to its Irish home) but it does help to break the tedium (sorry, lack of stimulation) at 0400 and feeling like Longhaul really isn't the way ahead.

I remember years ago being able to get various stations in the South of England in my little Cessna, but I think FM put paid to that lot. Well, it's all better than HF anyway.

Toodle pip,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

airtaxi
15th Apr 2001, 15:56
Hello folks,

Personally, you can't beat the good old BBC World Service (648 MW). It's perfect for those long night flights to Spain or Poland etc. Also on a more serious note you can check the time with the pips (or use your shiny GPS!).

Happy flying

Squawk 8888
15th Apr 2001, 22:50
Here on the good side of the pond there's a new station on 740 in Toronto that plays old jazz and WWII-era pop music http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

HugMonster
16th Apr 2001, 00:44
Place I used to fly in the US of A had an easy-listening station in line with the runway and about 5 miles away, so we used to drop down an unofficial NDB procedure with the sounds of Frank Sinatra in our ears...

Once I overheard the following exchange on a Caribbean frequency whilst the Windies were over here and a test match had reached a fairly exciting stage:-

ATC:- "XXX123, descend 2,500, turn right 120 to intercept from the left, report established"
A/c:- ....
ATC:- "XXX123, how do you read?"
A/c:- "Approach, XXX123, read you fives - sorry - were you calling?"
ATC:- "Affirm, confirm Mike Atherton was out LBW - now can you concentrate?"

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

AffirmBrest
16th Apr 2001, 15:07
Managed to get a good Atlantic 252 signal from the wrong side of the Pyrenees the other night: "I'm a genie in a bottle, you gotta rub me the right way..."

Thinking about Christina and Britney on a noght flight is more distracting than listening to the radio!

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Skye Pilot
17th Apr 2001, 00:43
Anything divisible by nine should do it!