PDA

View Full Version : BA baggage allowance in Y typo?

piton
16th Aug 2011, 07:03
Hoping a BA employee can confirm that the current baggage allowance in economy (world traveller) is really 2 bags? I'm sure last time I flew this route (less than a year ago) it was only one.

British Airways - Checked baggage (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_lc)

Virgin only allow one bag on the same route (Caribbean- London) and considering I'll also be booking onward to Amsterdam for an extended stay of 10 weeks which can be done in one go on BA this seems almost too good to be true! Am I being paranoid to think this is just some webpage mix up??

Also BA cabin baggage allowance is very generous compared to pretty much everyone else.

Is this a new service to attract custom? It certainly works for me!

As a note the fares to LGW are slightly more on BA (but less than US$30 difference) and booking through to AMS is possible for just USD$50 more (+taxes) as opposed to buying a separate BA or EZY ticket after arriving on VA. Not to mention what EZY would charge for the baggage!!

It will be the best value for money I've had for years on this route - even the base fares are down compared to past experience.

piton
16th Aug 2011, 07:21
Sorry - realised it should be VS rather than VA :sad: Virgin Atlantic.

piton

piton
16th Aug 2011, 08:49
Seems I wasn't being paranoid - on the webpage as you are booking your ticket, before you get to the payment stage, there is a block that says your baggage allowance is 1 suitcase of 23kg. :(

Can't say I'm surprised but then that is a pretty big faux pas on the main BA site. Which would be considered more binding on BA do you think?

PAXboy
16th Aug 2011, 08:51
The old rule applies: The company is never wrong! If it looks like they made a mistake - then you are mistaken!

piton
16th Aug 2011, 10:17
Ain't that the truth!:)

Dave Gittins
16th Aug 2011, 13:22
I've always understood BA to allow one bag other than transatlantic, where you can have 2.

All the US flights (at least the ones that don't charge extra for bags ala Ryanair) allow 2 and they'd lose a lot of US business if they only allowed one.

JKKne
21st Aug 2011, 16:54
Where have you gotten 2 bags from?

If your Gold, Silver or on a fully flex Y then you'll be getting 2 bags or if your off to certain African destinations