PDA

View Full Version : Application Letter and form or CV help <Fresh Grad>

rookieaviator
16th Aug 2011, 03:55
Hello,

I'm a fresh grad, just graduated a couple of weeks ago.I was checking some of the major airline's websites based on a friend's advice, that your online application is the key to getting a job specially as I'm still fresh, there's no experience to bargain on!

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has the experience on how to write an application letter and resume that would look more appealing than the usual specially the letter.

P.S I'm sorry if this subject has been exposed and answered in different threads as I could not find it.

Thanks in advance.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Aug 2011, 09:52
An engineering graduate applying to the airlines?

To be honest, that's not what I'd be doing in your position - airlines are mostly employing licenced engineers, not graduates. If I were you I'd be looking more towards the manufacturers and modifiers, or government agencies that do research or procurement.

Okay, yes, there are some graduate jobs in the airlines - maintenance planning or QA mostly, but not all that many.

G

rookieaviator
18th Aug 2011, 09:22
1st of all, thanks for replying as my thread apparently is getting the views but lacking the replys.

well if the airlines wanted to hire a mechanic we'd make the perfect candidate or so I think and who knows I might get lucky.

I'll surely keep your advise into my consideration, yet the main problem is "I don't have CV nor a cover letter".I was hoping to get some assistance with that as what would look appealing on a fresh grad resume or cover letter also I had good marks is that something I should be mentioning.Since we brought up the fact that I'm welling to start as a mechanic should that also be included in my cover letter.

rookieaviator
18th Aug 2011, 15:41
I do agree it's a bit off the subject, but please keep them coming.I could use any help at the moment.

Let me take the chance also to state that I've done the EASA part 66 modules, the only reason it's a diploma is because I've added a management CASA module to it.I know that uni degrees are useless when it come's to aviation.

I'll keep in mind not to limit myself but that'd have to wait, studying towards this diploma overseas in Australia was a bit exhausting "money wise".I need to start making up some money before expanding my horizons.

Again I do apperciate all the advices, but also please try to assist me with the cover letter point.I need some help from someone with extraordinary english and writing skills, as my writing skills are limited...

powerlimited
18th Aug 2011, 19:24
If you want to work in maintenance as a LAME then your degree in Engineering was absolutely pointless but still, airlines in the Middle East love graduates. You have a better chance of 'getting in' but I would highly recommend that you start completing your Part 66 modules. You will have a big advantage when starting out and it will help you as time goes on.

One of the most contradictory post on Pprune?

My advice would be to visit the University/College careers office, they will have a wealth of information on writing covering letters and CVs. It is also worth remembering that you will need to specifically taylor each covering letter to each potential employer. There is nothing worse than seeing a covering letter stating how much someone wants a job doing this that and the other when the company they're applying to does very few of the things the applicant is after!

It is never easy but I would start by addressing what your strengths are and then seeing how they fit with what the companies do to which you are going to apply to.

Best of luck and studying engineering is never pointless! :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
18th Aug 2011, 21:43
In aviation - maintenance engineering and piloting, the existing licencing system is so tailored and thorough as to make university degrees pointless. So, they have no real value.

In other aviation roles (design, research, management, accountancy, quality assurance...) the qualifications for the job are less clearcut, so degrees start to have significant value.

Partly because of this, university engineering degrees are almost entirely tailored to management, design and research jobs - and thus have little or no relevance to maintenance.

It's just how it is.

G