PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite plane-and why?

Tiger_ Moth
12th Apr 2001, 01:14
Well ?
whats your favourite plane?
whyd u like it?
whats so good about it?????????

Mines the Tiger Moth because its open-cockpit-tastic, bi-plane-bastic and vintage flying at its affordable best

what about YOU?

Frederic
12th Apr 2001, 13:36
A320: Closed cockpit, Single wing, Ultramodern. ;-)

Tiger_ Moth
12th Apr 2001, 16:06
But thats not what real flyings all about Freddy!
Not at all!
Why ill wager you could fly a whole trip in an airbus on instruments alone with the windows covered up! That is good transport but not good flying.
Wheres the whizzing and zooming in that?

Voodoo 3
12th Apr 2001, 18:55
I have been fortunate to have done a lot of flying and instructing at an airfield where there is a Tiger Moth based. Even though now I fly a 737 NG, the flight that still sticks in my mind was a thirty minute ride in a Tiger Moth wearing sheepskins and Ray Bans flying on a still summer evening just as the sun was beginning to set.
Magical

EGAC
12th Apr 2001, 19:32
Lockheed L.1049G Super Constellation fitted with tip-tanks and radar nose was IMHO the most beautiful shape ever to grace the sky. :)

DB6
12th Apr 2001, 23:03
Have flown - Zlin 526F. Would like to fly - Spitfire XIV. Sigh.

low n' slow
12th Apr 2001, 23:11
"The Steel Coffin 2000"
(cessna 172, 2000 edition)
Handles nicely, never puts you in an akward position and being new, there's almost never anything wrong with them.
After this, MD80, long slender body, looks like a rocket and climbs like nothing else.
Especially in the new SAS paint-sceme.
And this is by the way real flying. This is where precision come into the game...

fireflybob
13th Apr 2001, 01:28
Definitely the good old Chipmunk - never had so much fun in an aeroplane - as a friend used to say "A typical De Havilland aircraft".
If it's a jet the B737-200 - a good basic jet with minimal autopilot. Quite demanding but a real joy to fly!

------------------

Stall4All
13th Apr 2001, 14:47
Defenatly the Fairchild Metroliner!!!!

Why:
1. It looks like a cuban sigar.
2. It turns my girlfriend on because it reminds her of her big shiny DILDO:-)(offcourse for when I am out flying)

Grtz Stall

Frederic
13th Apr 2001, 15:48
Tiger,
1. Don't judge the 320 'till you've flown it. I don't have a type rating but I've flown the sim and fallen in love ever since. Don't try to compare it to a light GA aircraft, it is a different type of flying all together. AND it flies great in manual. One of the safest airliners to fly without the auto pilot in my (humble) opinion. For those thinking that side-stick and fly-by-wire flying have nothing to do with the real thing see 2.
2. My favorite aircraft aside from 1. is the F-16. There again I've flown the sim (real sim), so don't have years of experience on it either. A total performance "beast" (34000 feet in ONE(1) minute... from brakes release!!! Superbly ergonomic and comfortable cockpit and has the best flight instrument kit there is: the HUD. Excuse my French, but this aircraft gives me a b*ner.
3. I see why you love the Tiger Moth. It provides a very pure form of flying and you can aerobat it as well (sort off...). I love aero's. The greatest aero's I've ever done where in a Yak 52. Actually an aircraft with controls that are to heavy for me, but for the rest an utterly charming aircraft. Lots of pneumaticaly driven stuff and those lovely Russian instruments.
4. P-51 Mustang (need I say more...)

So you see Tiger, I love flying by "wire" in more than one meaning of the word...
Many happy landings in your "Moth", Fred

Tiger_ Moth
13th Apr 2001, 22:05
Hahaha Freddy!
Did you know that I used to think fly by wire meant things like Tiger Moths where the control surfaces were moved by cables or "wires" . Gosh I was dumb.
I`ve nothing againts fly by wire stuff, its good that the 320 has a stick, because what I hate is yokes/steering wheels instead of sticks. HATE. Its just terrible, especially if you do aerobatics in a plane with a yoke like the c150 aerobat. That has got to be morally wrong. It annoys me that some people who didnt perhaps know much about aviation would have an aerobatics lesson in a cessna simply because it was a well known name because with about 60 degrees roll per sec and a YOKE it simply is not right.

And I`m sure that if i flew a 320 it would be nice but it wouldnt be anything compared to a tiger because the 320 is primarily a transport plane: fly to 37,000 from where you cant see anything and maintain a heading of 031 for 2 hours, during which you can spend your time by monitoring fuel and other such thrilling past times! But the tiger, its a FUN plane. Perhaps i wasnt specific: i wanted to know what plane you like best for the FUN of flying in it, not which plane is best for the function it performs inwhich case an A320 would obviously beat the Moth as it is faster, can carry more people, better range......

I just dont see how someone could like sitting on heading *** for ages as opposed to flinging a tiger about in a merry dance across the skies.

the chipmunk, thats another DH tastic piece of fun, i agree

spits, yaks and mustangs huh? everyone loves them.

F-16s, hmmm they`re 9-g tastic, supersonic -bastic. Everyone loves them too

Cessnas.....eurghhh! they are small planes but they are flown as if they are airliners!
Sure they are good for training but not really great fun are they?

Keep your favourites coming in and thanks to all those who have responded so far, especially Freddy who was kind enough to replie twice

Squawk 8888
14th Apr 2001, 06:36
Cessna 150. First solo. 'Nuff said :)

------------------
Nuke the rainforest- it's more efficient than logging.

Pandora
14th Apr 2001, 11:48
Little C150 = lovely Sunday afternoons on the beach (see which way the seagulls are facing then you'll know the wind direction.) Also good for landing in swampy farmer's fields, fly ins, landing on the numbers at Kemble and then taxing on 2 wheels for miles to get to the clubhouse, landing competitions, navigation competitions, visiting my mum (more farmers fields) picnics with your mate at 3000' (one eats other looks out, then swap), sightseeing without getting cold, taking photos of your house etc.

However, the single most pant-wettingly exciting moment in my life was my first circuit in a B737 (and before anyone else mentions it I know this makes me quite boring)

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2001, 12:03
Hawk T1a

Simple systems, very reliable, gorgeous view, perfect handling, and enough thrust to do pretty much anything you want.

G

Tiger_ Moth
14th Apr 2001, 15:35
c150s!!!!!!!! arghhhhhh!
Its not surprising to hear that your first circuit in a 737was exciting because obviously the first time your set lose on something that massive , its gonna be.
BUT was it actually fun to fly or were you just overwhelmed by your actually flying such a big plane?

Genghis, do u mean the hawk as in the RAF jet conversion trainer? thats a nice plane

LUM
14th Apr 2001, 15:53
Yhe F-104 Starfighter. There are 2 kinds of pilots in this world: those who flew it and the others.

pigboat
15th Apr 2001, 02:50
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=C-FPQM&distinct_entry=true

VH_KAM
15th Apr 2001, 04:01
I would certainly say the SR71, incredibly beautiful aircraft, and incredibly advanced at its time.

But my fav a/c to own would have to be a V8 powered Lancair IVP.

tiger burn
15th Apr 2001, 13:39
I tried to post this one hours ago, so apologies everyone if this is a duplicate. My favourites have to be the Gipsy and Tiger Moths especially with a few aeros thrown in! I've had many happy hours buzzing about over the fabulous NZ countryside, frightening the sheep, touching clouds, racing seagulls, beating up friend's houses and landing in back gardens. The South Island must be the best place for open cockpit flying....Have just returned from a Tiger safari up the west coast of the south island - 4 Tigers and a C185 luggage carrier.....I'm getting wistful just thinking about it! If anyone gets the chance to head down that way, stop by Old Mandeville Airfield & visit Colin Smith's De H Hangar. He must have at least 12 restoration projects underway i/c the 1st Dragon Rapide since 1960s.Wanaka is close by too.

I've been incredibly lucky and have flown in a Fox Moth, Dragonfly, Chipmunk, Mustang - that was fun! Harvard and a gorgeous Beechcraft Staggerwing with Glenn Miller playing on the radio.

have also had some fun a little closer to home, exploring Co. Galway and the Connemara in a Tiger. Time to save up and buy my own!

tiger burn
16th Apr 2001, 03:03
Polikarpovs are fantastic aircraft, particularly the "rata" and "chaika"......what I wouldn't give!

criticalmass
16th Apr 2001, 16:01
Airborne Edge-X weightshift microlight with Wizard Wing.

I own it. I maintain it. I fly it. It's mine.

"I have control."

Tiger_ Moth
16th Apr 2001, 21:54
Tiger Burn`s got the right idea!
he knows tiger moths, `n` gipsy moths r great!
No airliners for him!
chipmunk, dragonfly, mustang! u`ve flown a lot of great planes! and the mustang!!! where was that? was it the version with a second seat at the back like Ray hannah`s? or did u actually fly it solo?

Pandora
17th Apr 2001, 12:00
Tiger Moth,

You just seem to be searching for confirmation that your namesake is indeed the greatest aircraft ever built. Some people will agree with you, lots won't. You asked whether I really enjoy flying a 737. Yes I do, and thousands of people out there spend their entire life savings and put themselves through an extremely demanding training course because airliners are exciting to fly. We do take the autopilot out and fly them manually, and the rule stick forward - houses get bigger, stick back - houses get smaller applies to every aircraft.

Your youthful exuberance on Pprune is refreshing compared to some of the old moaners around, but having read some of your other posts you are somewhat lacking in experience. It is understandable that having had only one flight in a Tiger Moth you have been smitten by it, but before you knock all forms of aviation that don't involve being upside down, give them a try sometime.

Hope you get your PPL. Try the Air League for PPL sponsorship. They might not give you it in a Moth but you will be one step closer to your dreams. Stalling (and spinning where poss) and steep turns are all part of the PPL syllabus, and you do have to learn how to take off and land whichever a/c you learn in.

twistedenginestarter
17th Apr 2001, 13:58
Without doubt, the Trident.

Why?... it's no good, I can't carry on - the tears are coming back into my eyes. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Tiger_ Moth
17th Apr 2001, 18:47
Pandora, thanks for the reply and i do accept that some people actually enjoy flying airliners and might hate old planes as i myself once looked down on anything that wasnt a jet fighter. I am very inexpierienced but think i can still makeup my mind which plane i like best and am sure I would be happier in a Tiger Moth than in an airliner. I`m not quite as inexpierinced as u think, ive been up a few times in a Tiger Moth and will be getting some rides on cessnas soon and an airline pilot once let me have a go at the controls.(although i suppose this is pretty inexpierienced)
I admit beforehand i was trying to persuade people that airliners are not fun to fly compared to other planes but ive given up now as i see a lot of people really do prefer them.
Dont get me wrong! i dont hate airliners, i like them, they r planes after all but i just dont like them as much as other planes. I would actually like to be an airline pilot as it would be a really good job ( eyesight not good enough for RAF ) and im sorry if i offended anyone by talking about airliners that way.

This airleague thing, interesting, ive never heard of it before but i could sure do with some financial help. Would they actually give me money even though its just for a ppl? Do you know their website or address?

ps, r u saying the 737 is ur favourite plane or just one of them?

Pandora
17th Apr 2001, 21:58
Tiger Moth

it has been a while since I looked into sponsorship but there are several places that offer PPL sponsorship - yes they will pay for you to do a PPL or hours to a PPL. Best place to ask is the Wannabes forum, but be warned, competition is stiff. They are usually aimed at younger people. Are you a girl or a boy? If you're a girl you're really in luck because the British Women's Pilot Assoc. do an aerobatic scholarship (once you have a PPL). If you are a boy, can't help you any more there (maybe wear a wig or something.) Something I did several years ago was through the summer just turn up at aerobatic competitions and offer your services as a scribe. Get a foot in the door and keep it there.

As for my favourite a/c? I like all of the aircraft I have flown, some more than others. The 737 is the only jet I have flown so I cannot comment on any others. I have had great fun upside down in the OATS Zlins and a Grob115, and the C150 I used to part own was a bit boring to fly but a great Sunday afternnon a/c - see my earlier post on it. Have flown the usual Piper single and multi for training and have scared the pants off myself in a Swing Picco paraglider, which I sold to help finance the CPL.

Trident Sim
18th Apr 2001, 00:17
twistedenginestarter....The Trident..a fellow believer...my eyes are misting up... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif...you set me off again http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

De Havilland's masterpiece, a constant thrust variable noise aircraft, take off courtesy of the curvature of the earth, but boy could she go down, generally loved by all who flew her! The "T" tail could, and sadly twice did, bite.

I flew G-ACDC, the Tiger Club "Tiger" for many years when I was a member, and enjoyed every minute, but the best ever, my favourite, no, not even close.

That honour belongs to my, ahem, current type, a beautiful clean white sleek speed machine, the most rewarding aircraft I've ever had the privilege to fly. :) :)

Mr moto
18th Apr 2001, 00:46
The Extra 300 is very nice to fly.

But my heart is in the back seat of a Stampe though the Chipmunk is nice too.

Slingsby's T-67s are very nice too. "Its a very nice aeroplane and you WILL like it", was the most I could get by way of briefing.

I'm going to try the Zlin soon!

Web-Footed Flyer
18th Apr 2001, 04:41
For me the bigest one has to be PA-18-150 on either floats, wheels or skis. :) :) :)
However I must say Pigboat has revealed my most long held fantasy, flying one of then Canso as we say here. I was acquainted to one in 1965 at Lake Caniapisceau in nothern Quebec, they were used to resupply bush camps while men were doing preleminary geological research to the buiding of Manic 5 and the James Bay Hydro Electical Projects.

------------------
Trop haut, trop bas, trop tard!!!

pigboat
18th Apr 2001, 06:05
WFF,Wheeler, Austin or Northern Wings?

twistedenginestarter
18th Apr 2001, 11:37
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Well go on TS http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif tell us! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

What is your current/favourite plane? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

....and pass the Kleenex http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Trident Sim
18th Apr 2001, 17:09
TES Not enough clues? OK, try this (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=34247) :)

[This message has been edited by Trident Sim (edited 18 April 2001).]

Speedbird252
19th Apr 2001, 02:47
Im sorry Tigermoth. I know you are young and keen and love to post loadsa stuff on these forums, but the bottom line is that in the air the Tiger Moth is crap. It has no speed, no decent climb and dont even worry about the cruise. It handles relatively bad, doesnt decend on approach that well, and youll have to have a bit of experience to land it well. It may look nice and looks good to tell your folks and mates about, but you seem to think its the bees knees and want to do a PPL in it? Sorry mate, dont bother. This is the year 2001. If you want a PPL learn in a poper trainer such as the Piper PA28, when you have finished, go learn to fly a Tiger Moth. I love your appetite, keep it up, just please dont try to do the right things in the wrong order. Do an PPL in a PA28 or a Cessna. I dont care what you have heard or read. You nead above avarage piloting skills to fly a bi-plane and you will be vulnerable thinking that learning in one will do you a favour.

Id love some backup here from other Pilots - am I right ? - I just wanna protect this guy, and maximise his flying?

DCDriver
19th Apr 2001, 15:39
Thankyou Speedbird 252 for daring to speak the truth about Tiger Moths!
I had a share in one for years and could never quite understand why grown men's eyes would get all watery as they waxed lyrical about it's qualities!
Certainly it has its charms, but the reason that the Tiger is so difficult to fly accurately is just as you say, the control harmonisation is so p@@s poor that finally one gets bored with it and buys a Stampe!

Tiger_ Moth
19th Apr 2001, 19:39
Speedbird,
didnt u post an identical reply on one of my other posts? Why are u so worried about me learning on a Moth? Its not like im going to crash it! Advice noted but dont try to persuade me against what ive decided, its as useless as my trying to persuade people that airliners are not fun to fly because some people just like them.
Learn on a piper then fly a Moth? I simply dont have enough money for that, i get enough for about 1 hour a month, ive been saving up for ages and im not going to deny myself my dream that ive worked so hard for just because you say so. And a Moth at £100 an hour is a bargain not to miss these days.
What do u think will happen to me? do u think ill crash it or simply not be good enough to fly it and take 70 hours to get my ppl or what?
Even if i did take 70 hours to get my ppl on a Moth id rather do that than get it on a piper in 45 because if i did get a ppl on a piper that would only be so i could then fly the Moth so why waste money when i could fly the Moth straight away?

I appreciate your advice, but disagree,

ps what has this got ot do with favourite planes? whats yours? or have u already said? i can t remember

Warped Factor
20th Apr 2001, 01:46
Tiger_Moth,

Go for it, don't be afraid to be different. If it was good enough to train prospective Spitfire pilots, it's good enough for you if that's what you want.

Favourite aeroplane? Well, the previously mentioned Connie runs a close second to my groups' Chipmunk.

WF.

Stroppalot
21st Apr 2001, 03:08
Tiger-moth,

You are obviously quite young. That much is apparent from your inability to present your posts in a mature readible format (i.e. you consistently use 'u' as an abbreviation for 'you', yet you seem to have no comprehension of how difficult it makes the reading of your posts).

I would suggest that you take note of these posts, as they are obviously from people who have a damn site more experience in the matter than you.

Oh, and if you could learn to (a) spell, (b) punctuate, and (c) not be lazy with your posts (i.e. use 'you' instead of 'u', 'your' instead of u're, 'you've' instead of u've), then the rest of the world would find it a little easier to understand what it is you're saying.

Love 'n' kisses, Stropp.... x x x

Edited, because I forgot to answer the question : "My favourite is the Cessna 310 (twin 6 seater), bacause it's the biggest thing I've flown to date."

[This message has been edited by Stroppalot (edited 20 April 2001).]

Marge
21st Apr 2001, 03:27
Dear Stroppalot,

If you are going to appoint yourself as the spelling police here is a little help for you.

"readible format" is Readable format.
"damn site" is damn sight.

The words "black", "kettle" and "pot" spring to mind !

Love Marge

InFinRetirement
22nd Apr 2001, 13:29
Speedbird. How interesting that you mention the PA 28 and then put down the Tiger! Just why? Because the the PA28 is like a brick built "out" house and doesn't really teach the fundamentals of flight. Not like the Tiger does.

Criticising the Tiger's performance is not an objective view at all. Did you do spinning in the PA28? Be unusual if you did, but you do need to know about it. Just learning about an incipient spin is not the same.

The Tiger is an aircraft that teaches you discipline because it can bite, and respect because it demands it. This includes airmanship and ground handling. Yet in the hands of an expert it is a pussy cat. The stall is a classic and when landing - if you get it right - you pull the stick back into your stomach and it just sits on the runway.
It is great for teaching aeros and formation flying and the proper use of the rudder. As I re-call side-slipping a PA28 was at best awkward - the Tiger is superb.

Was the Tiger perhaps an aircraft that you had difficulty in handling? That would at least explain why you found the PA28 appealing. Or was it that the PA28 was ONLY aircraft you could train on. Just thought I would ask.

I was in fact a check pilot at the Tiger Club for many years and all who flew G-ACDC loved it, but NOT all managed to master it.
Some never did sadly, and gave up.

Anyway Tiger Moth, learn to fly it well. You will be rewarded.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 22 April 2001).]

Whirlybird
22nd Apr 2001, 15:21
R22 helicopter :) :) :) :) :)

Take-off anywhere, land anywhere, do anything, great visibility. The ultimate big kid's toy.

But as I said on your other thread, Tiger_Moth, I really really don't see how you can dislike any aircraft. Your dislike of airliners leaves me confused http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

But what do I know; I'm just a total aviation addict. :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Whirlybird (edited 22 April 2001).]

Tiger_ Moth
22nd Apr 2001, 21:56
Strop,
I'm sure you will realise that your reply is quite humourous as it criticizes my poor spelling despite being littered with mistakes of it's own, as Marge kindly pointed out. You also spelt "because" incorrectly. Sorry if my posts are incoherent but I didnt't think anyone would mind and most people probably don't.
You say I should listen to people who say I should not do a PPL on a Moth simply because they have more expierience than me but you don't need expierience to decide what you personally prefer, do you? Also, if you are going to use that argument then why shouldn't I listen to the other 50% of the replys who do say I should go ahead with the Moth?

scroggs
23rd Apr 2001, 03:12
The Tiger Moth is a great aeroplane, and an excellent training platform. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have been the backbone of many air forces' training systems for so long. The main reson it was replaced back in the late '50s and early '60s was that it was becoming too expensive to maintain compared to the spam cans that replaced it. They had some other advantages; not least the fact that an instructor could do two or three trips on the trot without freezing to death, and the students could hear what the instructor said much more easily. However, that doesn't invalidate the Tiger's suitability as an aircraft to learn your PPL on. Like all aircraft, some can't hack it....!
As an instructor, I was far too easily seduced by the luxuries of later trainers like the Chipmunk and the Bulldog, but they have their own idiosyncracies, too!
As for favourite aeroplanes, after having done 18 years on it I'd have to nominate the C130 Hercules. But I also flew the Hawk, and the Hunter, and loved them both. I now fly the B747, which is a great big pussycat and a delight to fly manually. Which is the best? I dunno.....!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

chicken6
23rd Apr 2001, 05:50
Tiger_Moth

Having done my 0-200hrs on PA28s and a PA-44-180T (Turbos are great!) for the multi bit, then got into club instructing and flying Moths, Cubs, Cessnas etc. for the next 800hrs I have been thinking for some time now I wish I had been born 40 years earlier!

My favourite I have flown, hmmmmmmmm, undecided between Moth and Pitts Special. Probably the Moth because it keeps your mind on the game. And I'm current and get to teach other people! (and what an adventure that can be...)

Favourite I haven't flown, I want to try a Sukhoi 29! But would settle for a Yak-52 (more realistic, there's actually some of them in the country!).

Although knowing what I know now, if I could learn again I would like to do it in a Cub. Cos I'm soft and like heaters!

And Tiger_burn, you and Manda and Sir Geoffrey-de-Havalanding strip were in the paper here just after you left PP! We've still got it on our noticeboard.

------------------
Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.

burnercan
23rd Apr 2001, 16:32
I have never flow a tiger but looking at them and talking to othres they dont do anything real well except bounce flew a chippy once climbed well but shook and used oil like it was going outa fashion (gypsy engine) getta grip fellas get into yellow aeroplane with a pt6 up front. now thats flying not real fast but good fun 120kts + a couple of feet off the ground at night only way to go

low and slow way to go! props in the crops !

airforcenone
23rd Apr 2001, 23:39
Just started Cub flying (after a few years on jets). Great fun, and not a million pounds. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a P-51 this side of the pond? (Oh yes, I may need the million for that .......)

SNOOPY 22
24th Apr 2001, 03:08
the F-15C

take off run - 36,000ft in 1 minute

what else can i say

'Orgasmic'

Not to mention the firepower

tiger burn
25th Apr 2001, 02:37
sorry for my delay in responding Tiger Moth.....go for it! If you want to learn in a DH 82a then do it.....I did! and actually it was my ambition to learn in an open cockpit biplane....after all, as warped factor agreed, it served the spitfire boys well. My personal preference is vintage, a passion shared with a few airline pilot friends......hence my opportunities to fly some special aircraft. And no I'm not male and of a certain age either!

The P51 is Miss Torque & is based at Wanaka. Ray Hanna is exceptional, but on a personal note, Mark was a great source of inspiration and encouragement. As was Tom Middleton - especially. Stick to your dream and if flying in vintage crockpots is you, then just do it. Anything else might be a little like flying a block of flats, n'est ce pas?

zog
25th Apr 2001, 04:03
The mighty shed.
It still gives me a stiffy.

twistedenginestarter
25th Apr 2001, 11:31
My favourite plane is the Concorde.

My reason is that natty little runway symbol that appears as you are on final approach. It looks just like someone is working it under the dashboard with a long piece of wire.

But I've never seen him come out. How long do you have to wait? ;) ;)

Vortex what...ouch!
25th Apr 2001, 21:43
The Bell 206 jetranger. It was the first turbine I flew and after pistons the power available with two on board was an eye opener.
It does have its problems, poor tail rotor for example but still I like to fly it.

------------------
_ _ _____________ _ _
The idea of not being able to stop before I land is scarey.

PlayersLight77
28th Apr 2001, 10:35
Although i am not a pilot, seeing an f-18 radar identified 1 mile off the end of the runway at FL280 looked like that would be a heck of a ride. In fact it always elicits a smile from the controllers when we have the opportunity to ask an f-18 to expedite. And from the f-18 pilots i have talked to most would say they appreciate being able to run the bird through its paces as well...

G

bushranger
1st May 2001, 02:10
THREE-SHIP HEAVY FIRE TEAM UH-1H BUSHRANGER GUNSHIP! 14 rockets, 2 six-barrelled miniguns (4000RPM each!) and twin M60s fired out the open doors by drooling crewmen, all mounted on the helicopter world's answer to the Spitfire, the Dakota and the HarleyDavidson FatBoy! What a hoot!

------------------
clear in live

Airking
2nd May 2001, 02:04
Beech KingAir B200, even I can fly it !

Also a really nice plane is the DeHavilland DH104 Dove I´m allowed to fly from time to time.

OzExpat
2nd May 2001, 12:04
I, too, fly a B200. Greatest machine ever to grace the skies. Responds well to manual flying and, as I get to do lots of low level ops in it, nice to have such a manoeuvrable aeroplane strapped to me @rse.

But ... favourite plane? Well, that's a bit of a toss up between two that I've never flown. B17 and B25!! Reckon they'd be just the best experience this side of the bedroom!

------------------
Dispela olgeta samting i pekpek bilong bulmakau!

Iz
3rd May 2001, 20:19

Jim lovell
4th May 2001, 10:59
civilian- gotta be the 747-400

military- definitely the F-15 Eagle

Tiger_ Moth
12th May 2001, 01:16
Maybe I wasnt very clear at the start, I actually mean whats your favourite plane that you`ve flown. If it was my favourite plane ever it would probably be something like an Se5a or spitfire but of course I havent flown these.

Speedbird252
12th May 2001, 02:11
no **** .

ehwatezedoing
13th May 2001, 02:35
Favorite plane!?

Anyone with no snag :)

BlipOnTheRadar
13th May 2001, 06:03
I can see why you like the Tiger Moth, it is a classic, but doing a PPL on it would limit you somewhat. As I recall it does not have a tailwheel, only a skid, so operating from metalled/concrete runways could prove expensive. Also the cost per hour to train on the Tiger Moth is far greater than the conventional C-152, PA-28 or PA-38 (traumahawk). It may prove cheaper in the long term to get a PPL conventionally then get converted onto type.

After all, not many pilots fly C-152's because that is their dream aircraft, it is a means to an end. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be impatient, half the fun of achieving your goal is getting there.

But back on subject, I have only ever flown the C-152, but have flown in a Christen Eagle a truly balistic experience, my neck was stiff for days afterwards. I have also had the honour of sitting in the cockpit of an English Electric Lighning T-55, that is one beautiful beast (no they wouldn't let me fly it)

Finally, my favourite aircraft, hmmm, all aircraft are beautiful in their own way, but the one I would love to own is the Hawker Sea Fury (anyone got a spare £650,000 they could lend me??)

Take care and fly safely

BlipOnTheRadar

[This message has been edited by BlipOnTheRadar (edited 13 May 2001).]

Jim lovell
13th May 2001, 09:00
military planes- favourite would have to be the F-16 fighting Falcon

civilian planes- fav would be the 757(long, sexy, quick and plenty of power!)

BTW no i haven't flown either of these a/c before

babble
15th May 2001, 00:47
I've heard the Vans kit planes (RV4, RV6, RV8) handle nicely. I've never flown one but would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has (just maybe thinking of geting one).

Favourite I've flown? Probably the Bulldog - I have fond memories of my UAS days.

Dave Incognito
15th May 2001, 08:44
Favourite I've flown: Bellanca Super Decathlon

Fantastic stick and rudder flying, and quite forgiving when your manoeuvres don't come out as you intended them to.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

KeithAlexander
16th May 2001, 02:29
Cessna-152

its the one i did my first solo in, G-TAYS i think it was.

In fact i haven't flown in anything else so my opinion probably doesnt really count.

Carbon Life Form
16th May 2001, 04:57

Just from a personal standpoint, the best handling,most stable, fastest, versatile, built
like a tank, confidence inspiring great machine to be operating in filthy weather or fine, aircraft I've ever flown.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
17th May 2001, 12:37
No doubt, best I've flown Vulcan B2.
Loadsapower - who needs aerodynamics when you have Olympus lift. Ideal way to take 5 blokes to a party !

4granted
17th May 2001, 21:19
Lear 25!! Your very own civilian fighter jet...well almost!

STurns
18th May 2001, 00:29
My best plane was my very own Piper Pacer. Just sold it to a GO captain to finance my ATPL http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Oh well ce la vie....

STurns

SilentHandover
18th May 2001, 12:19
Rutan Boomerang, coz it's just so god damned conventional..

fly4fud
18th May 2001, 20:27
babble, you're right, the RVs are probably some of the nicest handling machines :) :)
Highly maneuvrable, just think and she goes ;)
Have a few hours on -4s and a -6.
I'm not gonna bore you with the different machine I had the pleasure flying. Suffice to say that the ailerons are a mixture between the lightness and responsiveness of the DHC-1 and the power of the Cap 10. The elevator is like on a Pitts S2-B. And the rudder, well, powerful enough, yet not touchy.
All in all very nicely balanced controls in a machine with one of the best speed ratio available, super!

P.S.
sligthly biased, as building a -4 :)

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

dv8
18th May 2001, 22:15
F28-4000 My first jet
No EFIS No MFDS No Computer No ATS
Lovely RR thrust [and noise] excellent handling.

cudgy_funt
20th May 2001, 19:29
Never flown one, but a Piper Cub...It just looks the part...or maybe a Stearman, or Tiger Moth for the same reason....aaah for the good old days

Tiger Moth, Why not combine both worlds and go to a school who have Tiger Moths and modern aircraft, then if you cant hack the Moth straight away, you cn build your skills on easier aircraft then convert when teh ability is there?

Edited for this afterthought and for spellung

[This message has been edited by cudgy_funt (edited 20 May 2001).]