PDA

View Full Version : 'water aided' landings.

Mark1234
15th Aug 2011, 11:56
So, I'm sure plenty of us have seen the alaskan bush pilot landings where they aquaplane on the mains up to the gravel bar, then stop with the tail in the air.

What I'm wondering, and purely out of curiosity is why? I'd expect the limiting factor to be getting out (i.e. takeoff), not landing...

The500man
15th Aug 2011, 15:34
I think I remember them saying it was to scrub-off speed to reduce the landing distance in Flying Wild Alaska.

Mark1234
15th Aug 2011, 16:27
Which was exactly what set me thinking: "The nearest gravel bar is too short to land on using normal techniques". So after a bit of splashing around he arrives, adds two sturdy blokes with backpacks, and a raft, then takes off..

All of which really doesn't add up: I'm sure the takeoff run would have been rather longer than the landing run.

kevmusic
15th Aug 2011, 16:39
Ah yes, 'Flying Wild Ariel'. Great programme. :E

irish seaplane
15th Aug 2011, 17:04
Sexy eskimos aside, there was a nice bit of production spice added to "Flying Wild Alaska" if you look at it closely. Scene's varied with the C180 going one minute from 29" bushwheels to 8.50's all in the one landing on more than once.... Good show and dramatization aside I'd like the box set for xmas!

Irish

The500man
15th Aug 2011, 18:17
Well the good news is there will be a second season! I think he started the take-off run in the water as well didn't he? That might explain away some of the extra take-off ground roll but I wonder whether the water aided landing was just for effect! After all someone had to drop the camera-man off in the first place so that he could film it.

Crash one
15th Aug 2011, 18:22
If I remember right that flight involved dropping off supplies & taking off empty??

gasax
15th Aug 2011, 19:05
I've watched the Big rocks, Lonp Props DVs a few times. In that there is a fair big of discussion on water landings.

Using the water to land is usually to give a better line for the approach. There is quite a bit of discussion regarding the lowest speed at which the tyres. still aquaplane - between 22 and 28mph for the types in the DVD, needless to say prematurely cutting the power is said to be potentially disasterous.

When taking off water is generally not used much. Where it is it seems to be only for short, very short, periods - just the last couple of seconds. So certainly it seems to be a little unbalanced in terms of its use. From the DVDs it seems to more a 'because you can' - otherwise it would be used much more for taking off.

Mark1234
15th Aug 2011, 21:15
Here's the clip that started the train of thought:
Impressive Landing In Alaska [VIDEO] (http://www.dump.com/2011/08/10/impressive-landing-in-alaska-video/)

Confess I'd have thought that a short field, back of drag curve approach could've dropped it shorter, not that the skiing doesn't look cool. What gasax is saying makes more sense to me.

trex450
17th Aug 2011, 07:32
I remember reading an article on this some years back. As far as the takeoff went the pilot being interviewed was describing takeoffs starting in up to a foot of water. I can only imagine the increase in take off roll due to poor initial acceleration but given a tyre of 29" I can certainly see it as possible.
Definately going to get wet if the engine stops though!

1800ed
17th Aug 2011, 08:08
Especially after loading all that gear into the back of the aircraft!