PDA

View Full Version : (EK) How do you use your Log? :-)

FUSE PLUG
15th Aug 2011, 07:46
No pun intended :ok:.

So, I have not put anything in my logbook since landing at EK and think its high time I catch up on my records. I have a few quick questions for my fellow EK comrades which is why I've posted it in this forum as opposed to others on this site.

1st. Just because the company factors ULRs, do you? By that I mean do you just log the time you are in the seat, or do you log the entire block?

2nd. Under the Make and Model column in my trusty brown Jepp log what format should I write down? Do you keep it simple ie B-777? or add the B-77W, B-772, B-77L? Lastly, (please pardon the ignorance I just don't wanna mess this up and have to go back and white out 4 years worth of logging) do you place a - between the B and 777 ie B-777 or B777.

3rd. I heard a rumor that it has been confirmed that EZE is a layover. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

FP

LearBus
15th Aug 2011, 07:51
1. Full Block

2. B77W, B77L, etc. with no -. In hindsight I should have just made generic B777

3. EZE nice.

CAVnotOK
15th Aug 2011, 13:50
For my understanding.......

Unless you are the Commander of the flight you can only log the time in the seat.

Have done it this way for the past 10+ years.

At the end of the day, all that needs to be entered is enough to prove recency.
Your flight logbook is a Log of your "flight experience". I don't see how sleeping next to the APU should contribute that!?

Cav.

LHR Rain
15th Aug 2011, 16:36
What are you a management tool? Of course you log all the flight time. You are a required crew member and can and should log all the time.
EK is one of the few airlines that does not want you to log all of the time.
On a separate note, is EK still factoring? TCAS told us in Jan that it was gone but we all know what his word is worth.

White Knight
15th Aug 2011, 18:30
What are you a management tool?

Your standard retort is getting boring:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Are you a union lackey?:E:E:E

Seriously fellah; what has logging time got to do with the 3rd floor????????

BBJ King
15th Aug 2011, 18:54
How can you log time when you are not flying the aircraft?(I mean actually flying..... by hand. Stick and rudder + throttles)
Mo haha.

CAVnotOK
16th Aug 2011, 05:22
No, definitely NOT Management.

What you put in your Logbook, and what EK records in regard to factoring are two entirely different things. Come on LHR Rain, I'm sure that you can even differentiate between the two??

So, the question is....When you are applying for a job what will you put as you flight experience on Type?? 5000hrs, 3000 at controls, 2000 sleeping in bunk?

100% agree, if you are P1, you are P1 for the entire flight and therefore log the entire block.

Cav.

donpizmeov
16th Aug 2011, 05:32
EK use the whole unfactored time towards upgrade (as proved with a few that upgraded recently) etc. The factoring is just so they can cheap out on hiring pilots.
So you (well them actually I guess) can have cake and eat it too.

BobDole
16th Aug 2011, 06:25
Well... If I had cake I'd probably want to eat it! lol

The company will always to what is in it's best interest. If they can get away with factoring they will.

I personally log any time my rear end is in the aircraft. I am not there for my pleasure. You are a required crew member. What is in your logbook will not necessarily agree with how the company computes time.... Remember, the company will always do what is in the best interest of the company, regardless of how it affects you.

atiuta
16th Aug 2011, 10:15
Incredible that Emirates has driven pilots to Pprune for an opinion, least we should do the wrong thing. :rolleyes:

Your logbook, log what you want. Personally, I log the lot regardless of wether I am PIC or augmenting. Either duty I'm in the bunk for part of the flight so I find it bizarre that as PIC I can log all, but as augmenting I allegedly can't? Company records can reflect what they like (as FO or Captain) but my logbook reflects my personal choice. If another airline wants it all, I have the record. If they don't, I'll take it out.

Fuse Plug, buy an e-log book. Much easier.

break dancer
17th Aug 2011, 07:29
I guess a couple of points have been raised:
So, you log the entire time in the aircraft and then show as flying over 900 hours in the 365 days - are you breaking the law? (I say this as unfactorised, I have been over 900 hrs....) What will your new employer think?
As for the argument about roster management i.e. calling in sick - just wait for the hearing about refusing to fly.
As augmented crew, you are only required to be in the flight deck for T/O, LDG and to provide rest for the operating crew, so log the hours accordingly, P1/P2 when in the seat, and P3 when on the jump seat (which also applies when operating as safety pilot)
Whatever, at the end of the day, you take the money, so fly the way they want you to fly, or get into the office and try and change it.

BigGeordie
17th Aug 2011, 11:54
For what it is worth, I log all the block time. Time in the seat goes as P1/P2/P1US or whatever and the rest of the time goes in the "any other flying" column which in my logbook is on the far right. I suppose you could put it in "remarks" instead. That way I have a record of block time and operating time so I can split it up any way my next employer might want it!