PDA

View Full Version : AIRCRAFT CABIN LIGHTS

SPIT
29th Nov 2001, 22:36
I hate to say this but recently my wife asked me "Why do airliners (some) put all the cabin lights out on Take Off & Landing?
The embarassing thing was I could NOT give her a reply. Can anybody Help my poor demented wife as this seems to worry her (as if there is not enough to woory her)?

DJXL
29th Nov 2001, 22:42
Well, try and phrase this carefully if your missus is a bit frightened.

At night, the lights in the cabin are dimmed because in case of emergency during either takeoff or landing you will need to be able to see the emergency lighting over the doors and on the floor clearly. Dimming the lights allows your eyes to adjust to darkness and therefore you will be able to escape more quickly in an emergency than if you spent time wondering where the emergency lighting went.

Hope that helps!

DJXL

PAXboy
30th Nov 2001, 00:31
This question was debated in the Cabin Crew forum earlier this year. It was very interesting to hear how many different standard procedures there were from different carriers! You should be able to find it in the Archives.

Further afield, in Oz if I recall correctly, the CAA had issued instructions for cabin lights to remain ON. This is the direct opposite of what the UK CAA instruct. So, does a BA or QF cabin crew have to change procedure depending upon which country they are arrivingin/departing from?

DJXL
30th Nov 2001, 03:04
"So, does a BA or QF cabin crew have to change procedure depending upon which country they are arrivingin/departing from?"

Good point. I thought it was all standard but obviously not.

Do your procedures apply even though you are flying to an area where the rules are different? If you fly on an American airline you can´t order booze unless you´re 21 or over no matter where you´re flying to/from so maybe that school of thought can be applied to other stuff as well? Hmmmmmm