PDA

View Full Version : British Army/Oman Beavers

airsmiles
14th Aug 2011, 15:16
I've just ordered a copy of Alex Kimball's book "Think Like a Bird" about flying Beavers in the British Army. That got me wondering if there are any other books (or DVD's even) about flying the British Army Beavers.

I also understand that the SOAF had 4 beavers in the 1960's/1970's and I actually saw 3 of these being redelivered back to Canada about 1977 through Hurn Airport. Are there any books about beaver operations in Oman?

Thanks.

brakedwell
14th Aug 2011, 16:00
First pair of SOAF Beavers in Salalah. They were assembled in Aden and flown up coast to Muscat (Bait al Falaj) via Ryan, Salalah and Masirah. I think it was 1961.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Beaver.jpg

skua
14th Aug 2011, 20:30
Think you will enjoy Kimball's book. But to answer your ?, I'm not aware of one.

reynoldsno1
14th Aug 2011, 22:55
There used to be one in the SAF Museum at Bait al Falaj - perhaps someone else knows if it's still there ....

l.garey
15th Aug 2011, 05:57
There is quite a bit about Omani Beavers in Colin Richardson's "Masirah - Tales from a desert island" (2003)

Laurence

airsmiles
16th Aug 2011, 00:13
I searched for Colin Richardson's book but it's out of print. There are a few used examples about but the prices are ridiculous. Such a shame.

It does seem strange that there's not much in print about army beavers (or any beavers come to that). Plenty of bush plane books but not much about beavers themselves.

Thanks anyway.

l.garey
16th Aug 2011, 04:48
I got mine from Colin directly. PM me if you want the details.

Laurence

airsmiles
17th Aug 2011, 23:46
Have e-mailed Colin but response as yet.

India Four Two
18th Aug 2011, 06:16
I agree with skua's comment. I've just finished "Think Like a Bird". It is now easily in my top ten list of aviation books.

I'm even more keen to fly a Beaver on wheels, but preferably when no one is shooting at me.

corsair
18th Aug 2011, 07:39
'Stormfront' by Rowland White is actually in the shops now, features an Omani Strikemaster on the cover. While more to do with the General war in Oman and specifically the attack on the SAS at Mirbat. The Beavers get a good few mentions although only a couple of pics.

Besides it's a good read.