PDA

View Full Version : Climb and decent rates in 737s

Si
10th Apr 2001, 21:26
I would just like to know what are (more or less) the typical climb out rates straight after departure for a normal load, for a flight to say London from Manchester in a 737-300, and also what are the typical SID's from runwy 24R and the rotue down to heathrow, and then which STAR would you use for an approach into either of the runways 27?? Oh yeah and what is a typical descent rate???

Not too many questions.....

Thanks

Flanker
11th Apr 2001, 00:02
Straight after take off it would climb at around 160 knots at around 18 degrees pitch, not sure what rate this gives but its probably around 2 - 3000 feet per minute initially.After noise abatement (3000agl)accelerate to 250 or 300-ish depending.Generally climbing at around 2000fpm once clean, a bit more when light.

Not familiar with Manchester recently but it used to be a Conga departure I think, via Honiley to pick up a LHR STAR.BA boys can get specific here,I don't know.

Descent is normally also between 2 and 3000fpm at around 280kts but wind up the speed and use speedbrake easily gives 6000fpm-ish initially.
Cheers

G-BPEC
11th Apr 2001, 19:07
Hi Si,

Dont know about rates of descent, but I can tell you about the Manchester-London routing...

The CONGA sids at Manchester 24 went out after Runway 2 was built, we now have HONILEY departures off the 24s. CONGA SIDS do still exist off the 06s, but if we are going off 24L then a Honiley 1 Yankee departure is used by the shuttles, with an initial climb altitude of 5000 feet, turning right to route around Knutsford (at the request of the eco-warriors) and then left to track the HONILEY VOR, picking up the Bovingdon STAR for Heathrow. Typical cruise altitude is between FL180 and FL280.

The Bovingdon STARS consist of routing EGCC-HONILEY-WESTCOTT(NDB)-BOVINGDON-EGLL. Aircraft leave Bovingdon for Radar Vectors to the runway, and holding will take place either at BOVVA or Bovingdon, both at pretty much the same points. Knowing Heathrow, you'll probably get 160 knots to 4DME.

Hope this answers all you questions,
Cheers
G-BPEC

Si
11th Apr 2001, 19:19
G-BPEC, thats excellent, just what i wanted, are you a BA shuttle pilot?? If so how many sectors do you do per day on the EGCC-EGLL route?

Thanks again!

G-BPEC
11th Apr 2001, 22:04
Si,

No, I'm not a BA shuttle pilot, maybe one day!

Cheers
BPEC

Hewey
12th Apr 2001, 02:54
A typical shuttle day will be 3 or 4 sectors with BA, but often linked with something European (eg. MUC LHR MAN LHR or similar)