PDA

View Full Version : Impulse and the Jetstream 41's

Stationair8
14th Aug 2011, 05:21
What made the management team at Impulse choose the J41, over the Emb120, Dash8 or Saab340?

From a pilots view was it a good aircraft?

How did it handle the Melbourne-Williamtown run?

The Green Goblin
14th Aug 2011, 05:25
I'd say it was an impulse decision to buy :cool:

Aye Ess
14th Aug 2011, 08:56
Trust good old Stationair to start yet another interesting thread.

I was one of the J41 pilots with Impact er,I mean Impulse....and yes Green goblin we used to use the 'Impulse' word too,mainly for not running to schedule "We depart just on impulse"

Anyhoo,from what I can remember (17 years ago),there was a lot of tooing & froing between manufacturers,but British Aerospace finally offered a really good deal for supply,training & maintenance PLUS a few HS748s thrown in. BAE were super keen to establish the J41s in Australasia.

Being the launch customer for any new aircraft is always a risky business,so there were many 'teething' problems to sort out. Delays due to these problems just never seemed to get any better,so,after about 10 months Impulse said 'ENOUGH' & Bae took back the 5 J41s. Can't remember what happened about the 'free steak knives (HS748s)'

Melbourne to Newcastle was good. Once up & flying they are a comfortable aeroplane. Nicely set up & comfy. Hot on the ground esp for the pilots. Pax had a flight attendant, toilet & tucker. The J41 looks fast & modern,but on the ground the outside noise is a scream. We could never sneak onto the apron like the Braz or Dash 8.

Lookleft
14th Aug 2011, 11:25
So why does Brindabella use them? They must have sorted out the reliability issues if they are using them between CB and NTL.

Triple Captain
14th Aug 2011, 12:44
So why does Brindabella use them?

Cheapest aircraft to purchase in that size

Aye Ess
14th Aug 2011, 20:34
They would be far more reliable now,I would imagine. 17 years ago they were a new type & between then & now I guess a bazillion changes,modifications,re-writes & amendments would have been made. Is there anyone from Brindabella with some current comments?

Wunwing
14th Aug 2011, 23:42
I suspect that the 748s were the ones that Horizon ended up with.

Wunwing

Stationair8
23rd Aug 2011, 08:12
How many J41's did the 'pulse operate?

Somebody once told me that no money changed hands because, they didn't meet contractual obligations for reliablity, fact or fiction?

Aye Ess
23rd Aug 2011, 08:25
Impulse operated 5 x J41s. 2 based Brisbane,2 in Newcastle & 1 in Sydney. The plan was to operate 10,but,things didn't exactly go to forecast & Impulse told BAE they didn't want to play anymore.

I don't know the commercial arrangements because I was aircrew & we were too busy writing on maintenance releases.