PDA

View Full Version : MECIR Aus or NZ?

Jagdfalke
12th Aug 2011, 11:23
Hi,

I'm a kiwi CPL/C-CAT looking to complete an MECIR and am wondering if anybody can recommend a good school to complete an MECIR? After browsing over an old PPruNe thread i noticed that Johnston Aviation and Ad Astral near Sydney came recommended. Is this still the case? I've yet to find anything that appeals in NZ, but if anybody has a recommendation i'll listen.

What twin would you all recommend learning on? I'd be looking at jobs in Aus upon completion of the MECIR, so something that'll help me transition easily into whatever is popular in the outback i guess.

Lastly, i'd be interested in leasing a light twin for approx 100 hours flying, but i'm having problems finding out where on the internet. Can anybody recommend anything?

Thanks!

27/09
12th Aug 2011, 11:38
I'm not sure it'll make too much difference what aircraft you do you initial MEIR in.

Lastly, i'd be interested in leasing a light twin for approx 100 hours flying, but i'm having problems finding out where on the internet
Where are you based. Have you tried ringing around to see who will hire our their twin. I suspect that not many will be willing to hire to a freshly minted MEIR pilot without a fairly extensive check out and even fewer would be willing to let you take it away for an extended period. Doing your MEIR with someone who is likely to hire will probably help in this regard

Mimpe
12th Aug 2011, 11:58
Johnson aviation at Pot Macquarrie do a lot of people and you learn on Barons which are nice.

I f you want to try someyhing interesting an different, with possible work prospects, try Cliff MCann at Alice Springs Aero. The weather is great. He is a bit strict and old school, but I enjoyed my ratings. He is a stickler for a very professional approach. I did my initial twin rating there in his Duchess, which is beautifully looked after.You get the Class C and D experience day in and day out also. It might be nicer in winter however.Some young schoolkid cleans the aircraft ,so that was a treat.

Avondale aviation at Cessnock has a very professional approach with an empasis on solid theory which they do in house. The airport there is busy and fun. Avondale are a small very personal outfit. Talk to Garry Fraser who I respect a lot- he is very polite and easy to talk to. He did my NVFR test. They have a Duchess.

Both CFI 's above, as well as the Johnsons at Port Macquarrie are also Casa Testing Officers.

Also you might want to look at Schofields at Bankstown. I did my GPS course there and the teaching was professional,but I dont know about the aircraft.

LexAir
14th Aug 2011, 00:17
Pearson Aviation at Essendon Airport, Melbourne is advertising a special deal on the MECIR. Pearson is a school that gives plenty of personalised attention and Guy Pearson has a good reputation and is a CASA ATO. They use an EFIS equipped PA.44. Good luck in your search.

Jagdfalke
14th Aug 2011, 23:01
Thanks for the suggestions.

So far the best offer looks to be Johnston Aviation due to the provided accommodation and the use of Baron's. The ILS endorsement has appeal too.

As far as leasing a twin goes, 27/09 i appreciate your input and understand that any operator would be understandably reluctant to let me loose on their twin having only just attained my MECIR. I wouldn't be flying alone though - the plan is to share the twin with another pilot (2000+ TT) looking to build twin hours also. I figured that might improve our chances? I have 700 hours TT also.

Also, just to clarify is IREX just the theory portion of the MECIR? We don't use this term in NZ.

Lastly, in NZ we are required to attain a BGT (Basic Gas Turbine) rating before we can operate on turbine, yet in Aus that doesn't seem to be the case? So if i were signed off on turbines in Aus i could just convert that to my kiwi license?

Thanks again, gents. I really do appreciate your input!

27/09
14th Aug 2011, 23:25
Jagdfalke

I wouldn't be flying alone though - the plan is to share the twin with another pilot (2000+ TT) looking to build twin hours also. I figured that might improve our chances? I have 700 hours TT also.
Ahh, a little more information, yes I think that might help somewhat, but I'm guessing the other person is also low on twin time from what you say, and perhaps also IF time, so there may not be a big advantage. It might be seen be seen by some as the blind leading the blind, depending on the individuals.

The ILS endorsement has appeal too.
Most New Zealand outfits will do that for you too, it's just that getting approach slots at places with an ILS can be a pain and the added expense with the holding times that invariably happen means they don't usually offer it in their normal training package.

Also, just to clarify is IREX just the theory portion of the MECIR? We don't use this term in NZ.
I'm pretty sure your interpretation of this is correct.

As far as the BGT is concerned once you have a turbine endorsement I think CAA would no longer require the BGT exam, particularly under the TTMRA agreement.

In my first post I did ask where you are located. I do know of an outfit that has hired for hour building in the past to selected people. This may work for you depending on where you are located. PM me if you want more details.

pointyendforward
15th Aug 2011, 23:08
I was in your situation about six years ago and decided to bite the bullet and go over to YPMQ and do it with Johnston Aviation. My main reasons were because I wanted to be able to commence training within a month or so, train full time, and complete the MEIFR rating as soon as possible. After phoning around as many training organisatioins as I could in NZ I was told that it would be months before I could start, I would only receive part time training and access to aircraft due to the fact that most organisations had far too many students on their books at any one time, and therefore it would be about six months before I would complete the rating.
I phoned up Johnston. Was told I could start tomorrow and could expect to have the whole thing (including theory and initial twin / baron rating) completed in four weeks!
I found their approach to be utterly professional, and overall it was several thousand cheaper than if I had done it in NZ. The down side was that I had to get rated on a NZ based twin (no barons available in NZ) and do a NZCAA IFR flight test to get it endorsed on my license when I returned home but it was still cheaper and waaaay quicker.
Again, this was some six years ago so things may have changed slightly?

Jagdfalke
16th Aug 2011, 02:49
My understanding is that under the TTMRA a CASA MECIR can be converted to the CAA equivalent through merely filling out the necessary paperwork and paying the ~$50 fee.

I've decided to go with Johnston at this stage. They seem to be highly regarded by most, are cheaper than anything i can find in NZ, and operate Barons. Ad Astral charges $2000 AUD more, doesn't provide accommodation, and fly Duchesses.

pointyendforward
17th Aug 2011, 23:02
Yip, that was my understanding too, until I got back home and was promptly told by CAA that in order to get it endorsed on my license via the TTMRA it would be necessary to do the flight test :mad:. The reason being is that it's not considered a primary license (I think that's the term?), ie it's not a CPL / ATPL that you're converting, rather an endorsement on that license.Again, things may have changed over the past few years.
Do your research, and have fun at 1 Amira Drive :ok:

27/09
18th Aug 2011, 01:16
I've decided to go with Johnston at this stage. They seem to be highly regarded by most, are cheaper than anything i can find in NZ, and operate Barons.

I was surprised by your statement and checked out the Johnston website. I've no idea what local schools are charging but by my rough back of the stamp calculations I reckon you should be able to do an MEIR in New Zealand for around $12-13,000 utilising a sim and based on the hours Johnston state. You do realise at todays exchange rate the figure quoted by Johnstons - $14,500 AUD is about $18,200 NZD.

I'd be very surprised if you cannot beat $18,000 by a substantial margin in New Zealand. If you cannot, I can see a good sideline opening up for someone.

Jack Ranga
18th Aug 2011, 04:50
Lastly, in NZ we are required to attain a BGT (Basic Gas Turbine) rating before we can operate on turbine

jad, while it may be tempting to save a bit of coin etc by skipping the BGT and getting it converted to a NZ licence, I'd do the BGT at home. My first turbine rating in Aus was lacking due to this. Your knowledge would be much enhanced by doing a BGT course :ok:

In fact, now that you have mentioned this I'm thinking a trip across the Tasman might be in order!

WM2672
30th Aug 2011, 04:01
Jagdfalke -

Try checking out a new outfit in Nelson called Golden Wings. They have a brand new Seminole with all the whistles and bells and your training will be from an NZ Examiner. As a start up they may be prepared to offer you an attractive rate and also consider leasing the Seminole as it's sitting in the hangar waiting for students right now!

Weekend_Warrior
30th Aug 2011, 18:57
Kapiti Aero Club at Paraparaumu have got their P68 back on line after major work. It's available for multi training, MEIR and for private hire. You can also do any ground courses you need with them.

Jagdfalke
30th Aug 2011, 21:15
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, but i have already sorted something out.

flyboy_nz
30th Aug 2011, 22:54
I did my MECIR in NZ but I instruct in Auz. NZ might seem cheaper, but I would say the training is better in Auz. In NZ, I mostly flew in CTA. Most of my approach Nav aids had a DME co-located. No unusual attitudes. No inflight diversions, never saw a feathered prop in flight during engine failure simulations. Flew an ac with Dual needle RMI. Most light twins in Auz have a fixed card ADF. So, if you are planning to work in Auz, its a good decision that you are training in Auz.

27/09
31st Aug 2011, 08:49
but I would say the training is better in Auz. I've also heard Aussies say the training in NZ is better. The reality is is probably depends on who you fly with.

In NZ, I mostly flew in CTA. Compared to Aussie New Zealand has proportionally more Controlled Airspace so one might expect this to happen.

Most of my approach Nav aids had a DME co-located. It's hard to think on any in New Zealand that aren't. Are you saying that Oz isn't as well equipped as New Zealand?

No unusual attitudes. This is usually covered during the CPL in NZ.

No inflight diversions Probably depends on the flying school

never saw a feathered prop in flight during engine failure simulations. This is normally covered on the initial multi endorsement. I can't see for the life of me why there's a need to feather any props during the IR training

Flew an ac with Dual needle RMI. Most light twins in Auz have a fixed card ADF. I would guess most light twins in NZ are the same.

mattyj
31st Aug 2011, 10:32
theres still a decent number of operators in NZ using twins without RMI's at all..Aztecs, Islanders, old Cheiftains etc

every 15mins check DI/Compass aligned
Was it SADIE checks? suction,amps,DIcompass,icing,engine t's and p's

amazing and I can't remember current Memory Items but I can still remember that..I need to do a defrag :uhoh:

flyboy_nz
31st Aug 2011, 10:45
You are right that end of the day it depends on who you train with and which instructor you get. I am guessing the original poster is planning to work in Auz, then training in Auz would be more suitable. If he's planning to work in Nz, training in Nz would be better.

The training in Auz seems more versatile. Yes, you cover unusual attitudes in CPL in Nz, but it's good to do them in the MECIR flight test. My renewals in Auz have been more challenging than my initial in NZ. In NZ, ILS apps at the three major airports require max speeds so no engine failures on the ILS app. NDB holds on a fixed card ADF, under limited panel is fun. I got trained in a sausage factory in NZ which took nearly 12 months to get MECIR. So, to me Auz seems more thorough.

In regards to feathered prop, It's like running the drill for an engine failure but never practicing doing one in which you actually attempt with an actual landing (at an aerodrome). I would rather see a feathered prop and see how the ac handles with one and attempt the restart.

Outside CTA, it is more challenging as the Pilot is required to co-ordinate with other traffic to maintain separation.