PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for cadet pilots?

bigscott
24th Jan 2002, 18:27
Hi all

this seem like a stupid question, but you seem to be the best people to ask.

I'm about to graduate with a masters degree from university and have about 40hrs flying time so far. The next step is to try and find someone to take me on and train me up to get a ATPL....

Who are still recruiting at the moment if anyone, and if not, then who are going to be doing this do you think in 6 mnths time when things have died down a little?

will cut down on wasted hours of myself trying to find out...

help much appreciated!!

cheers. .scott

A Very Civil Pilot
24th Jan 2002, 18:46
Lots of experienced pilots on the job market at the moment, but perhaps within a year they might have found jobs again.

As for a sponsorship, try your luck with the 10,000 or so people that apply for each one that comes up!

Try the wannabeessection for more help.

RVR800
24th Jan 2002, 19:03
Its a bit like Pop Idol except that. .many of the hopefuls in the queue have. .seen £60K of their banks money go west

bigscott
24th Jan 2002, 19:15
I've been told I've got a crap voice, so pop idol is out of the question for me...!

I'm in need of knowing who will be recruiting next, or who is still doing it at the moment if anyone.....

Keep the comments coming please.

Airbus A320
24th Jan 2002, 23:23
I've heard from the 'Britannia' forum that they have apparently approached Oxford with a view to starting a cadet sponsorship scheme within the next couple of years.

All the sponsorships that were due to be starting about now have been frozen (the likes of Air 2 Bob, bmi, BA), however British European have continued with theirs and I hear klm UK should be running another one this year too.

The best thing to do would be to finish your PPL (If you haven't already got it) and enrol for an ATPL theory course (either Distance Learning or full-time like I did) to start getting the old noggin accustomed to junk like Polar Stereographic Charts, SODPUD (you'll learn what that is) and various other things you have to know to pass but won't put to any practical use when you're in the RHS!!

spang
24th Jan 2002, 23:30
The news isnt favourable. Trained at Oats with all the airline cadets. All recruitment of that type has stopped. No time frame given. Theres a big back log of trained cadets without postions. Then theirs the experienced redudant section, then me and approx 500 UK low hours frozen ATPLers, then the hopeful students still getting their book.. .I'm unemployed 8 months now, looking for work full time I talk to everyone one I can. For now no experience = 1500+ and often a type rating, your not even in for interview. Soul Destroying

I have a degree too but my old postions gone.

Make your own assessments

QNH 1013
24th Jan 2002, 23:45
Airbus, At PPSC we were taught PUDSOD (Pudsey bear's nasty brother) but I see it works whichever way round you spell it.

Airbus A320
25th Jan 2002, 00:02
I always said that there was something disturbing about Pudsey bear....Where are you doing your training now QNH since PPSC is sadly no longer with us? (or are you one of the lucky few who's actually managed to pass all 14 of the b****** papers?)

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Jan 2002, 06:15
BA MIGHT just start sponsorship about Oct this year from what I have been whispered. Personally I would tag another 6 months onto that.

As for the others who knows. Sponsorship is alwas long odds but as we emerge from a pilot hiring masacre those odds have to stand at ludicrous.

Sorry.

ps I am seeing signs that things will actually recover at the higher end of the rate I predicted in the 8 weeks after Sept 11th. Stand by for a fuller account in a months time.