PDA

View Full Version : "Emirates' Clark still unsure about A350-1000"

TJQ
11th Aug 2011, 09:55
From Air Transport World:

Emirates' Clark still unsure about A350-1000 | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/emirates-clark-still-unsure-about-a350-1000-0810)

Emirates Airline President Tim Clark remains skeptical about the Airbus A350's operating performance, and is particularly leery about the A350-1000.

Clark has previously said that, according to the airline's calculations, the -1000 needs a 105,000 lb. thrust engine to truly leapfrog the Boeing 777-300ER, which means a new fan and significant wing pylon and undercarriage modifications (ATW, Aug. 1). In an interview last week in Vienna, he told ATW that the A350-900, which will be deployed on 85% of the routes EK plans to utilize the A350, "will be a fine aircraft."

But he does not shy away from expressing his displeasure with the A350-1000 performance parameters outlined by Airbus at the Paris Air Show in June, when it was revealed that Rolls-Royce is developing a higher thrust variant of the Trent XWB engine that will power the aircraft (ATW Daily News, June 21). "In our view, the aircraft is heavy and to deal with the extra weight, you've got increase the thrust," he elaborated. "We believe that the specific fuel consumption gain Rolls-Royce says the [-1000 will] have will be lost because of the extra weight."

EK has 50 A350-900s and 20 -1000s on order, but Clark is concerned that the -1000 won't meet the airline's needs. EK has not decided if it will still take delivery of the aircraft or perhaps convert its A350-1000 orders to -900s—or, worse from Airbus's perspective, cancel the orders in favor of a potential next generation Boeing 777-300ER.

"I told Airbus I really want to see the aircraft flying," Clark said. "Let's certify the A350-900 and then we'll decide what we are going to do. [Airbus] still has to do work on [the -1000]."

Though he is more satisfied with the A350-900, Clark noted the aircraft is heavy as well. But he said, "I think it will be okay. The aircraft will replace all of our A330s, 777-200s and A340s. The only [concern] on the -900 is that it gives us just 274 seats in a three-class configuration. It will be too small. We need 340 seats."

So this possibly could mean at least 20 more 777-300ERs or 777NG's, possibly more if they are not happy with as many as 50 A359s which they see as 'tpp small'.

Surely good news for those who are currently joining on the 777 fleet.

The Turtle
13th Aug 2011, 07:37
if you think the teething pains were bad on the 787 wait until they throw the switch on this baby....

Doc Jekyll
18th Aug 2011, 11:11
Looks like some of our Boeing friends would like to see blood after the humbling experience with the 787. Well, it certainly was a bit unwise of Seattle to constantly hammer Toulouse over the A380's delay, while developping at the same time a machine made almost entirely from plastic.:}
In any case, we shall see how the A350 will perform.

Having worked in the dunes for seven years, it would not surprise me if TC was just increasing the pressure on AI once again.
On the other hand, he cancelled the 340-600 order, so he is perfectly capable of cancelling anything.

So: if you get more dynosaurs, good on ya - maybe they'll come indeed disguised as a 'new generation' :ok:

Iver
19th Aug 2011, 13:38
All of these aeroplanes are being sold on "vaporware" - software and technology that does not yet exist. I would not be suprised if EK buy more 777-300s as they are proven and actually flying...

ruserious
20th Aug 2011, 04:09
love a good Luddite response :O

Wizofoz
21st Aug 2011, 08:37
love a good Luddite response

That's a little unfair.

It's a risk game- invest in proven technology and risk missing out on the advantages of the new,

Or invest in emerging technology and risk it not meeting it's promise.

Emirates has hedged it's bets and done well.

QANTAS, as an exapmle, didn't want the "Old technology" 777 and so hitched it's wagon for a (badly needed) fleet renewal on the A380 and the 787.

..and see how THAT turned out!!

Twinotterguy
21st Aug 2011, 09:14
the 777 are the best plane for most Emirates routes and if boeing brings a improved 777 then they will get the job done for EK

Doc Jekyll
23rd Aug 2011, 08:42
Luddite: One who opposes technical or technological change. :p That's the guys who for instance hold till today that side-stick-technology, which has worked for ages on US-fighter-planes, is totally unsuitable for an airliner, that Airbus-sidesticks are not even wired, etc. etc.

The DC-3 was the first commercial plane to be sold off the blueprints before they even got the riveting started and that was back in the first half of the last century. No visions - no progress.

falconeasydriver
23rd Aug 2011, 09:11
Second trip on the V-gina recently, have to say less than impressed with the cabin build quality, reminded me of a spanish military hospital I once visited.
If AB live up to such a low level of expectation/quality, then a 777 with a a decent PIP's package will eat the bigger 350 for breakfast.
As was explained to me in the SRT hanger one cold january afternoon "airbus builds to a price point, and it shows in here"

donpizmeov
23rd Aug 2011, 09:30
I am so sorry that the cabin build wasn't up to your standard Easy. Luckily there are still plenty of 777s flying to blighty so you shouldn't have to worry about Airbus travel again.

Spanish male clinic hey.....that could be awkward.

the Don

falconeasydriver
23rd Aug 2011, 10:14
Spanish male clinic hey.....that could be awkward pure class in that response Don :E

Better than a turkish prison guess!

All borrocks aside, yes theV-gina was quiet, but not overly so, biz seat was awkward to get in and out of with a stupendously narrow entranceway, and the place like I said has a decidedly plastic/bodged together feel. Similar in many ways to the impression I got when I paxed on a Dash 8 a few years back.
The 350 is going to need to make a decent leap in quality, otherwise I'll be off to see the bloody spaniards again :}

Oceanic
23rd Aug 2011, 13:27
If the interior was so disappointing, its time to re-think its nickname then.

Praise Jebus
23rd Aug 2011, 14:26
Oceanic I agree. Don't travel in them as much lately but back in the day I was a frequent flyer, never found one I didn't like. Back then it was always ULR but sadly now restricted to short haul. What to do?

donpizmeov
23rd Aug 2011, 16:19
Hope you still wear those flying gloves before touching the stick PJ.

Doc Jekyll
25th Aug 2011, 18:51
now, now, look at this: it's not the side-stick or the lack of moving throttles anymore. It's now the quality of the cabin interior which heralds the doom of Airbus. We are making progress after all :}

clear to land
26th Aug 2011, 05:45
Ok-for the sake of perpetuating the arguement-lack of moving thrust levers denies a potentially very important tactile sense. Sidestick OTOH-probably not a bad thing........

clear to land
26th Aug 2011, 06:54
True-but then doesn't matter what you are flying-even a CC08-if you lose SA-'what to do....'