PDA

View Full Version : When 2 pilot requirement? [UK regs]

paulo
28th Nov 2001, 22:42
I tried digging in AIP but didn't get too far - am sure I remember reading something in UK-AIM.

What's the strict definition?

I'm sure there was something about Single Engine Jet requiring two pilots, but then I've read some blurb from a JP group implying that this isn't a requirement.

Spoonbill
30th Nov 2001, 16:41
I'm pretty sure that the 2 pilot operation requirement is for aircraft who's MTOW is 5700kg or more, and the aircraft is on an AOC and operating on public transport op's.
Also, both pilots have to be rated on the aircraft type, (in the early days this wasn't a requirement, and there were a number of operators of E110s etc who utilised one fully qualified pilot and a pilots assistant, who could be no more than a basic PPL).
Many operators of privately/corparate owned aircraft utilse two fully qualified crew at all times, regardless of weight, due to the complexity of systems etc.

paulo
30th Nov 2001, 22:13
Hmmm... must get my UK AIM out again...

So the question then is, in a two seat jet, does this theoretically bar instruction? (Is instruction transport or public transport - I'm pretty sure it's one of these]

G.Khan
1st Dec 2001, 01:11
Think you will find that instruction comes under "Training" and is not Public Transport, even if in a PT aircraft.

Cathar
1st Dec 2001, 15:36
I hope the following extract of article 20 of the Air Navigation Order 2000 helps

Composition of crew of aircraft
20 - (1) An aircraft shall not fly unless it carries a flight crew of the number and description required by the law of the country in which it is registered.

(2) An aircraft registered in the United Kingdom shall carry a flight crew adequate in number and description to ensure the safety of the aircraft and of at least the number and description specified in the certificate of airworthiness issued or rendered valid under this Order or, if no certificate of airworthiness is required under this Order to be in force, the certificate of airworthiness, if any, last in force under this Order in respect of that aircraft.

(3)

(a) A flying machine registered in the United Kingdom and flying for the purpose of public transport having a maximum total weight authorised exceeding 5700 kg shall carry not less than two pilots as members of the flight crew thereof.

(b)

(i) Subject to sub-paragraphs (ii) and (iii), an aeroplane registered in the United Kingdom and flying for the purpose of public transport in circumstances where the aircraft commander is required to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules and having a maximum total weight authorised of 5700 kg or less and powered by:

(aa) one or more turbine jets;

(bb) one or more turbine propeller engines and provided with a means of pressurising the personnel compartments;

(cc) two or more turbine propeller engines and certificated to carry more than nine passengers;

(dd) two or more turbine propeller engines and certificated to carry fewer than 10 passengers and not provided with a means of pressurising the personnel compartments, unless it is equipped with an autopilot which has been approved by the CAA for the purposes of this article and which is serviceable on take-off; or

(ee) two or more piston engines, unless it is equipped with an autopilot which has been approved by the CAA for the purposes of this article and which is serviceable on take-off;

shall carry not less than two pilots as members of the flight crew thereof.

(ii) An aeroplane described in sub-paragraphs (i)(dd) or (i)(ee) which is equipped with an approved autopilot shall not be required to carry two pilots notwithstanding that before take-off the approved autopilot is found to be unserviceable, if the aeroplane flies in accordance with arrangements approved by the CAA.

(iii) An aeroplane described in sub-paragraphs (i)(cc), (dd) or (ee) which is flying under and in accordance with the terms of a police air operator's certificate shall not be required to carry two pilots.

The whole Order can be found at: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm#20