PDA

View Full Version : BA flight deck visits

Airliner Junkie
8th Apr 2001, 21:37
I am aware that BA will allow those interested to ride jumpseat or just to visit, but I'm still not aware of the conditions and requirements. I am getting ready for flight school at Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach, and would like to take a short hop across the pond for the purpose of riding jumpseat. If the airline and flight crew are aware that I am an active flight student who aspires to fly with the big boys & girls, will they be more than likely to let me up front during the entire ride? How does one make a "reservation"? I promise I'll be really really good and not push any buttons!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Erik.

ALT
9th Apr 2001, 19:25
1. It might be tough getting in for the take-off if they're busy, and you're not known.

2. Its a long flight, and if you get a visit early in the cruise the "interaction" might peak early, leading to you having to return to your seat

3.I would, on boarding, casually ask the CC to give your liscence, or passport with a "SHORT" note to the Captain asking for a visit when he's not too busy
If they forget, ask again about 1.5 hours out, probably your best chance of being there for the landing

GOOD LUCK!!

G-BPEC
11th Apr 2001, 11:47
Airliner Junkie,

On a flight from London to Manchester last year, which lasts about 40 minutes by the way, I asked a flight attendant if I could have the flight plan after we had landed. 20 minutes after we were airbourne he came out of the flightdeck and said that the captain had invited me up for landing! It was fantastic, it was nighttime, and the first time I have ever sat in the sharp end.

Give it a go, you never know your luck!!

;) ;) ;)
I just worked out how to use those things!!

Cheers
G-BPEC

Lan Ding Gere
11th Apr 2001, 16:17
You're right G-BPEC

I must say, that BA have been really very good to me about this, as long as there is a genuine interest and no time wasters.

I have to be honest, of the past 4 long Haul Flights, I have managed to get a ride in the jumpseat 3 times for takeoff & landing.

Of that one time, the skipper already had someone in the seat, but still invited me up for a brief cockpit visit, which was really nice of him.

HOW ?

Well, it follows some advice, which I got from here within PPRUNE. I normally have a "brief" note prepared, with a business card attached before I board the plane,with seat number, explaining, who I am, what I do and also mention that you will not speak until spoken to, behave in a professional manor AND most importantly of all, mention that you will leave the cockpit when asked to do so by the captain and/or First Officer.

As soon as I board, I ask to speak to the Purser and explain to him/her that I am a training pilot and would like to have the note passed on to the captain. Minutes later, I usually get a visit from the Purser, FO inviting me up for Takeoff and then having the FO come down 20 minutes before landing inviting to come up for Landing.

IMPORTANT.

During the visits that I have had, the FO on this one occasion did mention, that writing the note does add weight and also not to persue this on board the flight, if there is no response, as this may "Cheese" the crew off following on from the very recent Niarobi incident.

I hope that helps.

Well done BA

[This message has been edited by Lan Ding Gere (edited 11 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lan Ding Gere (edited 11 April 2001).]

Stroppalot
11th Apr 2001, 16:44
Could not agree more with the last post. Have a polite letter prepared, but never ask for the jumpseat - instead simply ask if it would be possible to visit the flightdeck at a convenient phase of the flight (they'll usually offer the jumpseat anyway), and ask the HEAD purser to pass the letter to the captain. (you should pass the letter on as soon as possible - at the gate is not a good time - they are busy, likewise whilst everyone is trying to find their seat. Just don't leave it too late, or the crew will be in the rhythm of pre-departure checks, and it won't be convenient)...

I would also suggest if a booking is made well in advance, that you write to the operator (eg British Airways or whoever), and ask their permission to visit the flightdeck. They won't give you permission (it's not up to them), but will reply in writing suggesting that you ask the Captain when on board the aircraft. If you paperclip this reply to your letter which you pass to the purser to take to the captain, it shows that

a) you've made an effort, and therefore are keen, rather than a half-hearted "I'd like to see the flightdeck, because I'm bored"

and

b) the airline have verified your address, so you are less likely to be some nutter!

I'd also suggest handing over your passport to the purser when you give him/her the letter. They probably won't take it to the capt, but at least it lets them know that you're serious.

Last year, I had the priviledge of sitting jumpseat on a BA 747 from Gatwick to Nairobi (the same route as the nutter incident) for the take off from Gatwick (at night) and landing at Nairobi (morning), where I saw wild giraffe by the airport perimiter!

They also passed a note to the next crew who were taking us and the aicraft onwards to Mauritius, who made a similar offer!

EDDNR
11th Apr 2001, 19:54
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">also mention that you will not speak until spoken to, behave in a professional manor AND most importantly of all, mention that you will leave the cockpit when asked to do so by the captain and/or First Officer</font>

That bit would give us all a giggle up front. Seriously, skip that bit, we don't like our wannabes too humble!

Rod

Lan Ding Gere
12th Apr 2001, 16:12
Ok,

Maybe that quote was a little over the top.

I will take that bit out next time :)

Thanks for the feedback

LDG

G-BPEC
12th Apr 2001, 16:31
All good advice, but I think that at the end of the day, you can write the nicest letter in the world, buy the crew beer/chocolate, whatever, but it wont make a squat of difference if the crew aren't in the mood or have a particularly bad flight ahead of them. By all means use the techniques suggested here, but I think at the end of the day it all depends on the crew you get. On Britannia last year and the year before, I asked the cabin crew as soon as I boarded, they said they would ask the Captain and get back to me, and both times I haven't seen them again. It all hinges on the crew you have on the day.

Cheers, and good luck,
G-BPEC

PS. Does anyone know if Go are still banning FD visits?

[This message has been edited by G-BPEC (edited 12 April 2001).]

Lord Fulmer
13th Apr 2001, 00:27
In reply to your "are go still banning FD visits?" the answer is as of the 17th of is month , the FD is once again available for visitation .

G-BPEC
13th Apr 2001, 13:17
Thanks Lord Fulmer, I'm not Go-ing until July, so looks like I might be able to visit up front afterall!

G-BPEC