PDA

View Full Version : Sydney/Denpasar Non-stop Route question

HotPete
9th Aug 2011, 10:42
I'd like to hear from a DJ driver what route could be expected this time of year. I will be SLF at the end of the month, will get a window seat and will try to follow track as best I can. I'll even take a map.

spocky
9th Aug 2011, 10:55
Hey Pete, typically this time of year we track oodnadatta, Alice springs, just north of Curtin and then roughly direct to Bali. Although at times I have done it via Ayers Rock, Broome or Argyle then Bali. It depends on the winds and who's doing the flight planning. Either way try to get a window seat and wear comfortable clothes as it took me 6:25 mins the other day !!

Spocky

Craney
9th Aug 2011, 11:32
Great idea Pete!

Where is QF9 MEL/SIN likely to track in mid September? Is one side or the other better to select for 3 seats?

We have recently driven around Australia so will be watching for familiar landmarks.

piston broke again
9th Aug 2011, 13:00
Keep an eye on the flight track (or PA). If you fly over Alice Springs then Ayers Rock is too far off to see.

You track toward the Derby coast (via south of Lake Argyle), either side of the aircraft is ok. Prior to crossing the coast you should see Wolf Creek Crater out the left side (appears fairly small from 38,000ft), whilst for ruggedness of the coastline, right side is best. Keep an eye out for Ashmore Reef too. All depends on the amount of white fluffy stuff out the window too...Dats about it! Enjoy.

Craney
9th Aug 2011, 14:31
Left side it is then - have seen the turn-off to Wolfe Creek but not driven down to it. Thanks!

Now to push us a bit further up than lower deck row 57...

ejectx3
9th Aug 2011, 15:14
Once flying from perth to Darwin we had to divert....40nm off track .... Due weather of course :) and descended down to get a close look at the crater. Most impressive. Passengers loved it.

hoss
9th Aug 2011, 22:22
So did my passengers. When we were young little aviators, we used to keep proficient at steep turns in the cater below the rim. 25/25 in a 210 and just add bank.

HotPete
9th Aug 2011, 22:28
Thanks Spocky! What would the likely track be SY/OOD?

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Aug 2011, 23:26
you should see Wolf Creek Crater out the left side (appears fairly small from 38,000ft)But it looks pretty cool from a low flying BE35 ! :ok:

Dr :8

http://www.fototime.com/5330EDB5F4B2D87/standard.jpg

Be sure to keep an eye out for the recently discovered but rarely seen Lake Forktailed Dr Killer!

http://www.fototime.com/5B6501B34FD5EF1/standard.jpg

inandout
10th Aug 2011, 06:57
Most beautifull part is when we cross the coast around Derby, just great scenery around King Sound. As the cabin crew to ask the Tech crew when this is close.

hoss
10th Aug 2011, 10:34
From SYD your most likely to flyover Alice Springs on the A587. That will take you over the top of Halls Creek(right of aircraft),Mt Barnett and then cross the Kimberley coastline at Kuri Bay a Paspaley pearl farm. On the left hand side you will get a view of George Water just south of Kuri Bay. The mudflats on the north of George Water is where Kingsford Smith had his "Coffee Royal"(google this). Shortly after crossing the coast you may notice Scott Reef(not Ashmore Reef but the indos still consider it theirs!). As you approach in the last hour of the flight on the right of the aircraft you will get distant views of Sumba, Sumbawa, Lombok then Bali(the cloud formations are usually a giveaway) If they are using runway 27 then you will fly over Benoa, if it's 09 then a nice view of the south of Bali and all the good surfing spots.

If your following the live2air (ch13) the other coast crossings may be via Curtin and you cross between Beagle Bay(named after the British naval ship) and Cape Leveque(where the qantas kids choir sing with the beautiful red cliff beach backdrop). Most parts if not all parts of the Kimberley coastline are named after the British and French naval expeditions, something about competition! Crossing at Broome is unlikely but highly likely on the way back to SYD but it will be dark. If it's over Argyle then it's over the top of Mitchell falls and generally typical Kimberley 'tiger country' but the coast crossing is spectacular but mostly named after the French up that way!

Hope the hosties are hot and the big bintangs cold.

training wheels
10th Aug 2011, 18:00
As you approach in the last hour of the flight on the right of the aircraft you will get distant views of Sumba, Sumbawa, Lombok then Bali

I fly for an Indonesian domestic airline and quite regularly fly from Sumba, Sumbawa and Lombok into Bali (on W42). The views are quite spectacular since most of the islands around Indonesia are formed from volcanic activity and have volcanoes on them. This is the view of Mt Rinjani on the island of Lombok as we flew past at FL160. Mt Rinjani's highest peak is 12,000 ft AMSL. There's actually a lake in the middle of the crater of Mt Rinjani. If you fly from Bali to Labuan Bajo (Komodo Island) (a popular destination for tourists), you'll see Mt Rinjani on the left side of the aircraft.

http://i55.tinypic.com/hsmlfn.jpg

The volcanoes below is on the island of Flores, the island east of Sumbawa. It's unlikely that you'll see these volcanoes enroute from Sydney to Bali, though and they're relatively small at about 7000 ft AMSL.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h37cee.jpg

This last photo was taken at FL160 over central Java (departing from Jogjakarta enroute to Jakarta) and is still active with smoke coming out of its crater.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2pyyp29.jpg

.. apologies for the slight thread drift but if you do plan to fly domestically around Indonesia, this is the best time of the year to do it as it's the 'dry season' in most parts of the region, thus enabling spectacular views of the terrain.