PDA

View Full Version : ATPL LST on a type you're not already qualified on

VJW
8th Aug 2011, 20:23
I should know the answer to this....

However, has anyone ever done an ATPL LST on a type they're not qualified on? I've the possibility to go into a JAR approved sim with a JAR TRE for free - but I'm flying a B737NG and its a B744 sim and he's a B744 TRE. Obviously without completing an approved course, and without having 500hrs on type on an ICAO licence I can't and won't request the rating to be added to my licence. However, LASORS simply says you need to pass an ATPL LST on a MPA.

Course I run a risk of not passing the test, but with it being free what do I have to lose?

I've emailed the CAA for the official answer, but wanting to know if there's a precedent of it happening.

redsnail
11th Aug 2011, 12:52
What are you trying to do?
A licence conversion?
If so, then you need to have that LST observed by the CAA.

I think for the conversion you need to do an LST on a type you already fly + have the 500 hours on that type.
Otherwise, it's a full type rating + LST.

VJW
11th Aug 2011, 13:59
Hi

I'm wanting to do the secret 4th option you didn't suggest.

170to5
11th Aug 2011, 20:11
Pretty sure it's going to be a 'no' - as the LST is worthless without having completed the conversion course - you won't have fulfilled the qualification requirements so you can't be signed off on the aeroplane.

I suspect their reasoning would be that it's irrelevant whether you can fly the thing engine-out, you haven't a clue of what half the buttons do!