PDA

View Full Version : Rhodesian Air Force

c-bert
8th Aug 2011, 18:22
Gents,

I have come by a couple of commemorative mugs from the Rhodesian Air Force. They have no sentimental value to me and I'd quite like them to go to a good home if anyone wants them?

The first is a big white job with the 7 Sqn crest on and the 7 Sqn song on the rear (I'll post the lyrics if anyone is interested!).

The second is a tall blue mug with Oktoberfest Sergeants Mess 1979 on it and black silhouettes of all the types in service at the time.

I also have a clock/plate jobby from the Zimbabwean Air Force 1994 but the clock bit has seen better days. Again, free to a good home (or a suitable HFH donation)

Cheers

Old-Duffer
9th Aug 2011, 05:33
C-bert,

Thanks for the offer but have too many mugs already and Mrs O-D would object to more!

However, please post the words to the 7 Sqn song, it would be of interest to the many who have great regard for the Rhodesian Air Force (both 'Royal' and later).

However, I am in the market for the 'Green Leader' tape. I loaned mine to a chap who can't find it anymore!! For those who don't know the tape, it's the cockpit commentary from the S/L Chris D who led the attack on Westlands Farm ( a terrorist training camp) in the later stages of UDI. Canberras dropping home made anti-personnel bombs, Hunters, Allouette gunships (K cars) the lot. I wonder how the Rhodesian Air Force approach to dealing with cross border attacks would fit into today's way of doing business?

Old Duffer

MG
9th Aug 2011, 06:04
Lots of different versions of the cockpit tape on YouTube.

Whenurhappy
9th Aug 2011, 07:24
A couple of years ago there was a PQ raised asking why the RAF didn't adopt the same tactics and the Rhodesian Air Force when tackling the Taliban. Perhaps because we had got rid of the Canberras and Harvards...

It led to some frantic analysis on the 5th Floor of what made the RhAF so sucessfull - and why the RAF couldn't use those tactics now.

c-bert
9th Aug 2011, 08:26
The Sergeants' Mess tankard has been claimed but I'd very much like to see the 7 Sqn mug go to a good home. Anyone know anyone who might know an ex-7 bod?

I'll post the song lyrics up this evening.

Stuart Sutcliffe
9th Aug 2011, 09:18
c-bert, a PM is coming your way! :ok:

camacho
9th Aug 2011, 12:07
While we're on the subject, would anyone care to recommend any good books on the subject of the Rhodesian air force, preferably still in print ? I've heard and read lots of tales from some of those who were there but it strikes me as one of those subjects that really deserves collation into a decent tome. The connection to Oman - CargOman et al - was particularly interesting (to me, anyway); certainly more than one Rhodey was bumping around the Sultanate some years after Mugabe took over.

Stuart Sutcliffe
9th Aug 2011, 15:08
camacho, check your PMs! :ok:

c-bert
9th Aug 2011, 19:02
Mug claimed but here's the song as promised:

The Seven Squadron Song

Don't give me a posting to "One"
Their bulldust is boring and dumb.
While up in the air,
Every bullet they fear
It's "BALE OUT" and home on the run.

CHORUS

No! give me good old "SEVEN",
The squadron that's earning its pay.
Fighting the war,
And settling the score.
We wear out two ar...holes a day.

Don't give me a posting to "TWO",
I'd rather log time in the loo.
Their broken down ships,
give their pilots the s..ts,
but they'll never get anything new.

Imagine a posting to "THREE",
'mongst old me who fly the 'gooney',
They're never on ops,
as pilots they're flops,
but they sure can collect S and T.

Don't give me a posting to "FOUR",
'cause they drive a noisy old whore,
when they make a pass
they got shot up the ass.
Keep flying clubs out of the war.

"Look out" here's faithful old "FIVE",
'neith bushes and rocks troopies dive,
"Have courage there men,
Ah sh..t they've done it again",
They sure make it hard to survive.

I forgot there's a squadron called "SIX".
In ops. they don't know the tricks,
As everyone knows,
They're a squadron of "SCHMOES",
A cadet is all they can fix!

They say they're the brains of HQ
But mister, I've got news for you,
They don't give a F....!
They just pass the Buck,
From you, down to me back to you.

camacho
9th Aug 2011, 21:22
PM sent. Many thanks for the steer.

Old-Duffer
11th Aug 2011, 13:44
Thanks for the 7 Sqn song, perhaps it ought to be sent on to 7 Sqn RAF.

Regarding books about the Rhodesian Air Force a couple of good ones which have lots of data about aircraft histories and personnel, including awards and casualties, are:

Rhodesian Air Force - Sanctions Busters by Winston Brent ISBN 0 958438811 and ISBN 13 = 9780958438810

Britain's Rebel Air Force - The war from the air in Rhodesia 1965-80 by Roy Nesbit and Dudley Cowderoy ISBN 1 902304 05 5 ISBN 13 = 9781902304052

There are a whole host of books about the Rhodesian Light Infantry, the Rhodesian SAS (C Sqn of the British SAS) and the Selous Scouts. I can post details but the list is quite long. I haven't checked the famous South American river but they might have something.

An absolutely fascinating story and not one of the UKs better moments.

Old Duffer

BEagle
11th Aug 2011, 14:25
P-B's book Winds of Destruction - The autobiography of a Rhodesian combat pilot is excellent - although I found the two-column page layout rather a PITA.

Quite expensive though. Available from 'big South American river' (and other online booksellers, of course).

t43562
15th Sep 2011, 15:23
You can read a lot of it on Google books:

Winds of destruction: the ... - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=akwPLOZMZYIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Winds+of+Destruction+By&hl=en&ei=sBdyTunLKI6A-wagzZSGCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Winds%20of%20Destruction%20By&f=false)