PDA

View Full Version : Chock sizes for the A380

ross_M
8th Aug 2011, 14:47
I was watching a video of ground handling a A380at ramp and the chocks used seem tiny especially in front of that monster plane. (shown at minutes 3:10-3:25 in video)

Can chocks so small stop a plane that heavy. Curious how the chock sizes are mandated; what's the physics behind this?

Do ground handlers use different chock sizes for larger planes? Also what is the mode of failure chocks are designed to protect against; wind induced movements, I suppose or maybe gravity? If an engine or tug were to accidentally try to move an aircraft would the chocks do much?

TSR2
8th Aug 2011, 16:39
A bit ironic, a water canon salute in the pouring rain.

spannersatcx
9th Aug 2011, 14:25
I would suggest those chocks, they look like the old wooden type, are completely inadequate. Nowadays large a/c have LARGE rubber chocks installed.

Load Toad
10th Aug 2011, 05:37
I love that on PPRUNE there is a thread about the size of aircraft chocks. This attention to detail is quite remarkable.

I feel the need to take this thread further - do they have to be a specific colour?

Tolsti
10th Aug 2011, 06:30
GSE Parts by T123 Ground Support Equipment,JBT,Global,TUG,Mulag,Charlatte,FMC, airplane de-icer (http://www.t123.eu/proddetail.php?prod=GE170S18)

quite cheap as well it seems!

Load Toad
10th Aug 2011, 11:56
I want one; then my life will be complete.

AlpineSkier
10th Aug 2011, 18:50
But ..... but ... what will you do then LT ?

Load Toad
10th Aug 2011, 20:21
Well, it doesn't involve chocks that's for sure.

Fargoo
11th Aug 2011, 11:27
spannersatcx said -
I would suggest those chocks, they look like the old wooden type, are completely inadequate. Nowadays large a/c have LARGE rubber chocks installed.

They're used at airports all over the world, the chamfered edge allows tyre contact to transfer aircraft weight through the chock to the ground stopping the chock from moving (if your aircraft rolls onto them). Rubber ones weigh too much and tend to be harder to handle.

I'd be more concerned at the ramp handlers running around on a wet stand whilst the engines are still running and the beacon is on :ugh:

spannersatcx
11th Aug 2011, 14:13
If you put wooden chocks on my a/c you would be told to remove them immediately as they are unacceptable for use as they will not stop an a/c moving especially if the ramp was wet. That's company sop.

grounded27
11th Aug 2011, 16:22
Yeah, rubber is the way we go. I have though in the absolute dark ran over them in the dark and did not feel a thing (i had some moumentum). The diameter of the tire (tyre) is quite large, 52's off the cuff.

I belive in chocking the inside of a Bogie as you have 2x the resistance to run over in either direction. Also should be noted that those tiny chocks you see are intended to keep a stationary aircraft stationary on a reasonably level ramp.

Just watched the clip, damb that is one ugly aircraft..