PDA

View Full Version : EK medical background check

lospilotos
7th Aug 2011, 05:53
Hi!

I´ve been invited down to Dubai for the EK assessment. My question is: Does EK routinely request and review the medical journals from the licence holders previous country.

Reason for me asking is that I was investigated for a potential disqualifying problem a couple of years ago. It turned out I was 100% OK and it was just a false alarm, but it is still in my journals. The medical itself was not suspended during the time, although I took a few sick days until it got sorted, so I could truthfully answer "No" to that question, and also "No" to the question in the application form regarding the condition itself. But what do you think? Should I mention it during the medical examination to explain what it is all about. My fear is of course that I pass the medical (which I should without any problems), but then they receive the files and start looking thinking "hey hey hey".... At the same time, I'd would like to let sleeping dogs lie....

Anyone been in a similar situation, where everything was fine after the medical but then was not offered the job? Can you be sure you are good to go for the DCAA license when they offer you the job?

Thanks!

BigGeordie
7th Aug 2011, 09:48
They don't ask for your medical files, although you do have to fill a form in about previous illnesses and any hospital stays. If the problem still affects you they will want every test known to science doing before you join but if you pass the medical you will still get the job offer. If the problem doesn't still affect you just keep quiet about it.

lospilotos
7th Aug 2011, 11:02
Ahhh ok, thanks for the feedback. So the consent to release medical records in the application form is just for show? It's not I want to hide a medical condition. Just don't want this to tip the scale when they decide if they want me or not. But if I read you correctly even if the medical history is a bit iffy they would pass you if you can show a clean bill of health.

BigGeordie
7th Aug 2011, 15:15
That is basically the way I understand it. When I joined two people on my course had an "abnormal" ECG. I'm not a cardiologist so I don't know exactly what the problem but they had medicals from their home countries so obviously it can't have been that serious. Emirates wanted all kinds of tests and a full report but once the tests came back okay there was no problem.

Pitch Up Authority
9th Aug 2011, 01:36
Advice 1

Never tell anything to an AME in the UAE.

It is unfortunate that I have to tell you this but that is the way it is.

The UAE has a known history of screwing their pilots medical if you are being perceived by the EK CMO or GMFO as a troublemaker.

Medical confidentiality does NOT exist in the UAE, so why would you bother yourself. Anyway they are so paranoid that they think you are lying anyway.

Advice 2

Always keep your JAR or FAA or whatever it may be current.

There are cases where the UAE have been asked by JAR-OPS investigators to answer their questions why certain pilots had lost their medical. The UAE refuses to answer their questions.

The integrity of the UAE pilot license is a joke.