PDA

View Full Version : Early Sunday Morning ops

coley chaos
7th Aug 2011, 05:51
Woken up twice this morning in deepest Dorset by 2 x helicopters in close formation at 100ft flying down the valley West to East at 01.05 and 04.30. Now I know I, and my 3 year old usually watch from the balcony when our friendly Chinook, Lynx, Sea King and Hercules crews come calling either by day or night, but I couldnt make out the precise outline of these early morning wake up call machines.

Are there any exercises going on around the south west this weekend?

With this post will, im sure be the usual spotter remarks, but we do, whenever we can throw our appreciation the crews way by waving wholeheartedly and if we could make you a cup of tea, chat for a while and then send you on your merry way, then these Dorset village idiots would!!

Chris and Liv (3 year old pilot in the making and on the phone to me at work whenever someone flies over)

jamesdevice
7th Aug 2011, 08:56
"EXERCISE PASHTUN DAWN/ JAGUAR - 24 JUL - 23 AUG 11

see this thread for links
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/459454-pleasant-surprise.html

Melchett01
7th Aug 2011, 09:18
It's the aviation element of the Mission Rehersal Exercise (MRX) for the next Brigade going out to Afghanistan. It runs for 3 serials / weeks with the odd quiet day to re-set in betweem. Serial / week 2 has just started. so you probably have another 7-8 days or so with a couple of days break late next week before it's over.

coley chaos
7th Aug 2011, 10:18
Why thank you chums...I couldnt make out the type due to their nav lights being off (apart from the 2nd aircraft red strobe) and cloud cover, but saw 2 dark shapes in formation, and thought the engine noise was non Chinook/Merlin/Lynx/Sea King!!

And after thoughts were maybe Black Hawks!!

Been here 3 years in this part of Dorset under "Red Route 1"?? Thoroughly enjoying the fly pasts and low flying....from the balcony

Chris.

jamesdevice
7th Aug 2011, 10:37
somewhere in the Blackmoor Vale I assume?
Best aircraft sight I ever had around there was around 20 years ago from the office window - 8 Lynx at very low level flying what I can only describe as a very sinuous "weasel dance".

coley chaos
7th Aug 2011, 10:41
Just outside Dorchester..to the west by 6 miles. Seems our village is directly underneath, and more importantly, our balcony to observe from. Yeovilton just up the roadish.

Chris

jamesdevice
7th Aug 2011, 10:46
aah - all that lovely rolling downland

Door Slider
7th Aug 2011, 11:46
and thought the engine noise was non Chinook/Merlin/Lynx/Sea King!!

And after thoughts were maybe Black Hawks!!

They may have been Pumas as they are on the MRX too.

coley chaos
7th Aug 2011, 17:40
Thank you for all your replies...have it on authority it was 2 x RAF. If I get it right and manage to get to the balcony in time...I will get my glow sticks out!!!

You can all fly down my deepest Dorset green valley following the River Frome anytime

Chris.

Really annoyed
7th Aug 2011, 21:54
You can all fly down my deepest Dorset green valley following the River Frome anytime

Maybe they could nip over to Chipping Norton and do a couple of hours worth of circuits and hovering over the village.:ok:

coley chaos
8th Aug 2011, 11:43
Chipping Norton...wouldnt you have the local celebs complaining? like the PM and Mr Clarkeson? Does he still have a Lightening parked on his lawn?

Chris

Maxibon
8th Aug 2011, 14:46
How terribly disappointing, I assumed the title to be some kind of metaphor, or even a metaphoarr!:E

coley chaos
8th Aug 2011, 23:00
wash your mouth out.... its on a Saturday in any case!!! :-)