PDA

View Full Version : Old tailwheel / Can you help me identify it?

Fox Four
6th Aug 2011, 17:00
I have some photos of an old tailwheel. It was found in a Barn on the outskirts of Keswick below Skiddaw. I would like some help in trying to find out what is was attached to! If you pm me I can send you some photos. I can't seem to post any from my pc, probably me being daft.

If you know how to attach a photo to a post let me know!

Thanks

FF

Tinribs
6th Aug 2011, 17:17
Nice to hear someone interested in old bits

We cannot be sure but in that location and being the only part the probability is that it came from a crash, located on the farm where you found it

The many crashes in the hills were mostly military and wartime, usually just below the tops, very sad. Military crashes are quite well recorded but the locations of civil crashes are less accurately placed on maps

If you can get details of the tyre size from the tyre sidewall you are off to a good start. Then contact the major tyre maunfacturers . they will have records

Failing that go to the aircraft museums, cosford and the like compare the sidewall details

It will be an interesting search, best of luck

Fox Four
6th Aug 2011, 17:54
Many thanks for your reply, the tyre is marked with the branding AERO, additonal text reading SD1542, and the tyre size? 7-25-9.

It also appears to say RA1 maybe

The wheel doesnt appear to have any markings at all? Maybe the size of a large tailwheel, or a smaller mainwheel?

Airclues
6th Aug 2011, 19:36
Fox Four

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/203481-image-posting-pprune-guide.html

Dave