PDA

View Full Version : US Special Forces Helicopter Accident

RetiredSHRigger
6th Aug 2011, 09:37
Sky are reporting a NATO Forces helicopter has crashed in Afghanistan with the loss of 31 US SF and 7 ANA, thoughts are with their families.

VinRouge
6th Aug 2011, 10:28
CNN confirming worst single loss in OEF/Enduring freedom campaign. :(

hetfield
6th Aug 2011, 10:41
Accident....?

fallmonk
6th Aug 2011, 11:14
Thoughts with family and friends

SHIFTY
6th Aug 2011, 11:37
R.I.P guys. Very very sad news.

EladElap
6th Aug 2011, 11:53
This is terribly sad to hear. BBC saying it was a CH-47 on it's way back/getting airborne after a successful raid in the Wardak area.

From a civvy pilot out here, my thoughts go out to families, and friends of the deceased.

wokkamate
6th Aug 2011, 13:13
Nightmare scenario......my thoughts and condolences to the families of all involved, and also to all the brave boys and girls out there currently flying the Wokka; US and UK, who will continue to do their job bravely and professionally, even in the face of this terrible event.

Keep up the good work guys! :D

I will raise a glass to you all in the pub tonight.

L J R
6th Aug 2011, 15:15
Moments of silence are all I can express in this incident. Words are not enough. - RIP.

barnstormer1968
6th Aug 2011, 16:02
I thought this thread may have referred to the recent crash of the stealth blackhawk.

Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive today, but maybe a warning word such as 'fatalities' could be added to the title.

RIP to all involved here. thoughts and empathy for family members who have to now come to terms with this loss.

From a very sad Barnstormer

RileyDove
6th Aug 2011, 16:32
I think you need to expect that a thread concerning an accident might not have a happy theme. I don't think its realistic to think that every title can be sanitised to stop people being shocked.

Sad to hear of the loss of so many soldiers- the CH-47 is a workhorse out there and unfortunately its regarded as a prime Taliban target.

grimfixer
6th Aug 2011, 17:23
Words really don't cut it but if in any way they do then my thoughts and prayers to the families of those involved.
Raising a glass as this is typed to those no longer with us and also to the others who continue doing their duty in all theatres.
GF

11Fan
6th Aug 2011, 17:32
It gets worse. Reports are that SEAL Team 6 were onboard.

Helicopter Crash in Afghanistan Reportedly Kills Members of SEAL Team 6 - FoxNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/06/afghan-president-31-americans-killed-in-helicopter-crash/?test=latestnews)

Josh and I are reading the same story it seems.

Joshilini
6th Aug 2011, 17:35
Fox News reporting: "More than 20 Navy SEALs from the Team 6 unit that killed terror leader Usama bin Laden reportedly lose their lives after a NATO helicopter crashes in an attack".

This will definitely set those conspiracy theorists off now.

Thoughts go out to the families and friends of the dead.

TheWizard
6th Aug 2011, 17:36
More details here
31 Americans, 7 Afghans Killed in Helicopter Crash - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=14245204)

A very sad day for the military and in particular the Spec Ops community.

Rest in Peace

jamesdevice
6th Aug 2011, 19:05
according to the BBC:

"A Taliban spokesman said insurgents had brought down the helicopter with a rocket after US and Afghan troops attacked a house in the Sayd Abad district of Wardak where insurgents were meeting late on Friday, Associated Press said."

BBC News - US special forces Afghan helicopter 'downed' by Taliban (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14430735)

Eartlier the BBC were reporting a similar story without accrediting it to AP, so I suspect a bit of rumour-mongering going on

Vox Populi
6th Aug 2011, 19:12
Semi official confirmation that the Chinook was brought down by an RPG:

A senior official of President Barack Obama's administration said the helicopter was apparently shot down, Associated Press news agency said.

An official with the Nato-led coalition in Afghanistan told the New York Times the helicopter was shot down with a rocket-propelled grenade.

BBC News - US special forces Afghan helicopter 'downed' by Taliban (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14430735)

rip

RileyDove
6th Aug 2011, 20:49
11FAN -it stays the same -38 people lost their lives - yes its sad that SF guys ended up dying but it doesnt make it any greater a loss than if it were 38 soldiers -deaths are deaths. A very sad day.

6000PIC
6th Aug 2011, 21:59
I think it`s about time the people supplying the money to arm these Taliban insurgents be discovered , named and prompty taken to task. Saudi Arabia and The UAE seem like the first most likely suspects. Allies ? Not.

parabellum
6th Aug 2011, 22:05
Saudi Arabia and The UAE seem like the first most likely suspects.

No way!

Try Iran.

GreenKnight121
6th Aug 2011, 22:07
None of the 22 SEAL personnel killed in the crash were part of the team that killed bin Laden in a May raid in Pakistan, but they belonged to the same unit.
Copter shot down, killing 30 US troops, 7 Afghans | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/copter-shot-down-killing-30-us-troops-7-afghans/article/feed/283288?custom_click=headlines_widget)

11Fan
6th Aug 2011, 22:40
deaths are deaths

Indeed RileyDove, indeed. The subtle point I was attempting to make was that it was originally reported it was the very same SEAL Team that took out Bin Laden. I was alluding to the remarkable coincidence. Nothing more.

It is now being reported that it was not the same SEAL's, but rather, other members of Team Six. Tragedy indeed, but having been a mere soldier myself, I will forever stand in awe of those men and I salute their courage, as I trust you do as well.

HowlingMad Murdock
6th Aug 2011, 23:19
A sad day indeed. My sincere condolences to all the families for their loss.

SASless
6th Aug 2011, 23:32
While we are remembering the SEAL's, lets not forget the Five Army Aircrew, the Air Force Combat Controllers/Pararescue guys, and the other folks that were killed as well. Each one of the guys lost were precious to someone!

jamesdevice
6th Aug 2011, 23:45
not forgetting the sniffer dog that was said to be onboard

ArthurR
7th Aug 2011, 10:15
Lets not forget, these things do happen in a war, the enemy only have to be lucky once, My thoughts are with the familys who lost loved ones, both American and the Afghan special forces.

Two's in
7th Aug 2011, 16:15
Another salutary reminder of the balance between operational expediency and managing the risk. That concentration of high value assets on one platform is not unlike the Falklands SAS loss or the Mull crash, not to say that the loss of any life is not an immense tragedy, but some take more to recover from operationally than others. Hindsight, as always, will show that using 2 or more aircraft, while complicating the mission execution, does give more margin for error when things go wrong.

jamesdevice
7th Aug 2011, 18:29
it was apparently the "second aircraft" that was lost - the other Chinook got away OK

US Herk
8th Aug 2011, 06:30
it stays the same -38 people lost their lives - yes its sad that SF guys ended up dying but it doesnt make it any greater a loss than if it were 38 soldiers -deaths are deaths. A very sad day.

To the loved ones and the world at large, it makes no difference - a huge loss of life. And as lives, they are no more valuable than the others - irreplaceable - scarring loved ones forever. But do not underestimate the national strategic loss the USA has undergone with the loss of such a large number of elite special forces. These are not 6-week infantry soldiers...and I think that was the original point with the comment, "...it gets worse..."