PDA

View Full Version : a job like Ray Hanna's?

low n' slow
6th Apr 2001, 22:43
Hey all
just read an "aeroplane monthly" with a picture of a very fine Spitfire flying at low alt. piloted by Ray Hanna.
How an earth does one get a job like that?! Does anybody know what to do to fly a Spit or any other "warbird"?
cheers/lns

Speedbird252
7th Apr 2001, 00:23
Hi low, there are a few routes to being one of the few. It depends on your experience, but if youve flown in the RAF, or have lots of aerobatic experience it helps. if you go to www.flyer.co.uk (http://www.flyer.co.uk) and have a look at the general discussion forum, I posted exactly the same question a few days ago with some very usefull answers.

Id be interested to hear what you think, I want to get into warbirds in a big way!

Regards, and long may the sound of the Merlin reign....

Tiger_ Moth
7th Apr 2001, 01:41
I dont think its easy to get a job like that, you basically need to be a millionaire and buy your own spit or to have so much expierience that some one else will get you to fly theres.

Speedbird252
7th Apr 2001, 03:54
Well said Tiger, bearing in mind there are 20 something Spits flying, and all worth a million quid plus, you`d have to have a decent relationship and trust with the owner.

But, i reckon those that fly `em asked the same quesion once........

there is hope......!!

Jumbo Jockey
7th Apr 2001, 20:32
I'm not sure but I think it might have been Brian Lecomber years ago who, in response to a similar question, said that in order to be allowed to fly a Spitfire, you have to have flown one before... :)

low n' slow
8th Apr 2001, 15:48
thanx for the tips!
If I need hrs (obviously!), then it's just a dream... By the time I've got the experience needed they'll all be grounded for some reason (age will ground everyone/thing sooner or later). Dream on! but thanx for the tips all!/lns