PDA

View Full Version : air law question

navlights
5th Aug 2011, 17:18
Hi all, new to this site, Just sat and passed my air law - I scraped it and passed gaining 75%, although a pass im pretty disappointed with the result as I was hoping to hit at least 85%.

My goal once passing my PPL is to go for commercial training. I understand that the Air Law results are retained on my record. Will these results even be looked at if I do the commercial route? and if so would it be looked on in an unfavourable light? Additionally would it be possible to resit to gain a higher mark if the answer to the above question is yes?

Thanks in advance

Bealzebub
5th Aug 2011, 17:26
No, the CPL and ATPL examinations have their own air law papers.

There is a pass mark, and you just made it. That is that.

Remember there is nothing stopping you picking up the books to garner a better understanding of this and any other subject at your own leisure. This will be without the overhanging pressure of an examination. There is no point in re-sitting the subject for a better grade, as it is simply a pass/fail paper.

Nobody (other than the CAA when they issue the licence,) is going to look at the result of this paper in any light, or indeed at all.

navlights
5th Aug 2011, 17:42
Hi Bealzebub, thanks for the reply and putting my mind at ease. - good advice for reading around the subject at my own leisure.

Just to clarify -lets say I passed all ground exams with just the pass mark and gained my PPL Licence.(this is not my intention - worse case scenario) I then decided to go down the commercial route and looked to find a school to do the CPL ATPL examinations. Would they be able to view the scores and think that my aptitude was not of a high enough standard? or with the PPL in hand and finance available I would be able to 'sign up' and carry on down the commercial route.

thanks

LeeP-PA28
5th Aug 2011, 17:49
I found (and am finding!) that with Air Law, once you pass the test you start to learn to use it. Minima of flight, quadrantles, paperwork and so forth were all a brain-boggle when reading it, but now I'm starting to exercise my rights as a pilot, I refer to it to ensure I am legal and it makes much more sense once you start applying it.

navlights
5th Aug 2011, 17:53
Hi Lee, im hoping that that will be the case hoping to go solo soon now the law is done. Would you be able to answer my query above?

Thanks

Bealzebub
5th Aug 2011, 17:56
No, no one (apart from the CAA, your flying school and you) are going to view the marks. commonsense would suggest that if you are having trouble comprehending the subject at this level, it isn't going to get any easier further up the incline.

Where aptitude tests are conducted, they are self contained. Those same tests are just as likely to be given to somebody who has a PPL or who has never flown at all. They are intend to test aptitude rather than previous attainment.

My advice.

Stop worrying about this. Knuckle down, and start trying a bit harder.
This is a very difficult industry to break into. The goal of mediocrity isn't where you should be heading.

navlights
5th Aug 2011, 18:15
Thanks -I wouldnt say that I am having trouble comprehending the subject, more like I wasnt prepared enough - just revised Pooleys, should have invested in PPL Confuser - will do for next exam.

You are right though, its passed forget it and work much harder on the following exams. Perhaps I aimed at mediocrity on the last exam but will strive for excellence on the rest - its given me a bit of a kick up the arse!!

I understand thats its a difficult industry to break into, but its my goal in life and i hopefully will achieve it.

Are you flying commercially? Im pushing 35 so need to get a move on!

thanks again

WILCO.XMG
5th Aug 2011, 19:26
Dont bother with the confuser.

Go to the Pooleys website and go for the Perfector, very very like what you will be asked in the exam.

I cant recommend it enough. I've got a 97% percent average so far after 5 exams. 3 100%'s, 1 95% and 1 85%. [Damm Met!!]

Books | Question & Answer Books | JAR031 | PPL Perfector - Keith Williams (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=1748&PageNum_rs_product=1&product_category_id=2&product_sub_category_id=121)

navlights
5th Aug 2011, 21:08
ill give it a go, thanks