PDA

View Full Version : First time versus first series, second series?

oldspool
5th Aug 2011, 14:07
With regards to the IR...

If a first time pass is where you pass your skills test on the first attempt (I assume), what's a first series (and for that matter, a second series) pass?

Sometimes I see them use interchangably and other times it seems they are something quite different.

Also, what is the significance (other than having to pay Mr CAA for a re-test) of first time versus first & second series passes?

Cheers,

mcgoo
5th Aug 2011, 14:15
A first time pass is just that, a first series pass is where you got a partial pass on your first test and subsequently pass, if you fail the test you then go onto second series.

clanger32
5th Aug 2011, 14:49
To give further information;

**caveat up front that you should read the attached link which will give you the definitive....my info is from memory and thus might be incorrect ni part, although I'd like to think the gist is right. http://sw610vbcs.eu.visa.com:8080/gm/document-1.9.274346/Meta%20Data%20Repository%20-%20Solution%20Description%20Documentv2.0.doc

The IR is made up of a series of "sections", all of which have a number of sub components - so departure, en-route, non precision, ATC interaction - that kind of thing.

To gain a "first time pass" you must fly your route within the prescribed limits to the satisfaction of the examiner in all sections. i.e. you fly everything to the required standard in one go.

If you were to pass the whole test bar one section, then on completion of the flight, you will be debriefed on the area you failed - you then have to retake that portion of the flight you were deemed to have failed...which will always include the departure element of the test as well. This would be deemed as a "partial" pass. If you then pass the previously failed section - you will be deemed a "first series pass". If, however, you fail the same section again (or I suppose you could balls up the departure second time round and fail that way, although I don't "know") then you will have failed the first "series".

If you fall into the latter category, you will move to a second series test....the same then applies (except you need to fly the whole test again, not just the previously failed section). Fail a section and you have partialled and so on.

There is no limit to the number of "series" you can take, but there can only be two attempts per series.

In summary - the test is made up of a maximum of two attempts per series and limitless "series". If you pass at the first go, you have "a first[second/third/...] time pass" for that series.
If you balls up one section in a given series but pass the retake, you have a partial pass - this would be known as a "first[second/third/...] SERIES pass"
If you balls up either two or more sections in the first series flight, or fail the subsequent partial, you move to the next series and start again.

oldspool
5th Aug 2011, 18:25
Thanks chaps.

Rgds,