PDA

View Full Version : Police Helicopters

Pegasus 2
26th Nov 2001, 18:34
Are Police Helicopters allowed to fly at or below 500'AGL over built up areas on a gin clear day? Even with two engines. I am a retired Army pilot who has some experience of IS duties and am at a loss to understand how much more this cowboy can see from this low and noisy level :confused:

Spoonbill
26th Nov 2001, 23:17
One of our based operators also operates the local police helicopter.They rarely seem to go below 1000ft over built up areas, and given the level of technology on the helicopters these days, it is rarely necessary. However, I wouldn't be suprised if they have an exemption to do so if it's operationaly required.
:mad: I hope that your reference to cowboys doesn't mean the crews who do this work. Not only are they very good pilots, they're also very dedicated, and very highly trained, having to maintain these high standards to keep their jobs.

Droopy
27th Nov 2001, 05:15
Yes, we are allowed to fly below 500ft; specifically we are allowed to operate not below 300ft agl in the event of a power failure over a congested area by day, which I assume are the conditions you mean; by night it's not below 500ft above obstacles.

No, there aren't many occasions when one needs to be so low but every now and then it's necessary. It's not done for fun.

Jetdriver - perhaps this thread should be moved to rotorheads where pegasus's last comment might attract some discussion?