PDA

View Full Version : For all you Herc bods, Hercs at Bruntingthorpe

NutLoose
4th Aug 2011, 11:44
For scrapping...

see

Brunters turns into Lyneham - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=110907)

ancientaviator62
4th Aug 2011, 12:43
Aah,
221, first appearance in my log book, October 1968 ! It is a long time ago. Hope Cosford and Duxford get their promised aircraft before the beancounters wake up to the price scrap metal has reached..

Geehovah
4th Aug 2011, 19:38
We shouldn't be too sad. These airframes have served since the 60s and have been flown well beyond what we could have expected. Sad that the replacement programme is flagging but they served us well.:ok:

Dengue_Dude
5th Aug 2011, 16:37
Funny, I remember as QRA Eng, going around with the Crew coach driver to find XV305 which was the first to be stretched? certainly the first to be painted in European camouflage instead of Crud and Custard.

They did a cracking job, but it's still sad to see.

Ah, nostalgia

floppyjock
5th Aug 2011, 17:45
Is it just my eyes or is the guy in the last photo in combats on the left wearing putties?

Floppy

hval
5th Aug 2011, 23:28
Floppy,

Is it just my eyes or is the guy in the last photo in combats on the left wearing putties?

Gaiters?!!

crashtest
7th Aug 2011, 17:13
Bit nose-heavy (pic 8), even for a Mk3 ;-)

barnstormer1968
7th Aug 2011, 17:53
Floppyjock

The chap you are referring to may be wearing some of the new special socks which have 'two tops', one one normal and the second rolls back down over your boots.

This second top covers your laces, and prevents small stones from entering your boots.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the product.

Cuff Sox - Desert Tan (http://www.rvops.co.uk/cuff-sox-desert-tan-2245.html)

floppyjock
8th Aug 2011, 22:17
Ive never seen them issued. Surely your not suggesting our forces are buying their own kit nowadays.

Floppy ;)

500N
8th Aug 2011, 22:32
Doesn't blazing the trouser legs over the top of the boot achieve the same thing ?

Never had a problem with debris getting in my boots.

barnstormer1968
9th Aug 2011, 07:56
500N

Blousing the trousers will achieve the same result to some extent.

Cuffing your socks can prevent your laces becoming undone more easily, and is a tad more effective when wearing shorts :E

It was only a suggestion for what the chap MAY be wearing. I don 't make a habit of staring at men's legs:eek:

Madbob
9th Aug 2011, 11:07
Just a quick question. Why leave under wing tanks fitted on ac due to be scrapped? Surely they should be removed and kept in store. Although the C-130J in RAF service is not seen with tanks on, are not the ac capable of having them fitted?

Seems daft.

MB

herkman
9th Aug 2011, 12:01
Yes you are correct though most J models do not normally have them fitted.

However I belive that all j models are plumbed for externals and one only needs the pumps and hooked up.

You will hear stories of the J models not being suitable for externals but that too is incorrect as some aircraft in the USA have had them fitted at unit level.

Lockgreed does not like it but I suspect that it is a minor engineering task to fit.
It will be interesting to see where all the removed parts are going to be used or sold,

Regards Col

On_The_Top_Bunk
9th Aug 2011, 21:19
Yes you are correct though most J models do not normally have them fitted.

However I belive that all j models are plumbed for externals and one only needs the pumps and hooked up.

You will hear stories of the J models not being suitable for externals but that too is incorrect as some aircraft in the USA have had them fitted at unit level.

Regards Col

There is a UK J model flying around Wiltshire with external tanks fitted.

StopStart
9th Aug 2011, 23:31
The J is fitted for but not necessarily with externals. The USMC and and the Italians for example had theirs delivered with tanks. We being the RAF knew much better didn't. Now we're paying loads to get them retrofitted :rolleyes: and, as yer man says, we've got one knocking about already.

Wiring up externals on the J is a little more involved than just slapping them on as they have to be wired to interface with the 1553 databus. The tanks off the K are no use to the J.

fergineer
9th Aug 2011, 23:36
They could put them in the cargo bay fix a HDU up and hey presto a tanker..... didnt we do that once before though!!!!!!

Dengue_Dude
10th Aug 2011, 11:38
They could put them in the cargo bay fix a HDU up and hey presto a tanker..... didnt we do that once before though!!!!!!

Yes Fergi . . . nearly 30 years ago! Thanks mate.

We're likely to be near Auckland in November as current plans are, perhaps we might link up if it's poss. Can you PM your phone number et al.

DD

fergineer
10th Aug 2011, 21:18
30 years, where did the time go.....great fun on the tanker many a happy hour flying. Hope to catch up in November.

WE992
11th Aug 2011, 19:16
I understand that there is a K due to land at Cosford 12 Aug around 11.30 for the RAF Museum?

ancientaviator62
12th Aug 2011, 07:40
I hope the rumour of a Cosford 'K' is true. I remember when we took one in to Cosford for the air day many moons ago. Joe public were allowed to walk around the back. One says to me 'Hey mister does this thing still fly ?. I replied I hope so as it is taking me home tomorrow' .To be fair to him it was looking well used.

WE992
12th Aug 2011, 14:49
I see from another forum that its a Mk3 XV202.

Wycombe
12th Aug 2011, 15:59
ancientaviator62 said:

I remember when we took one in to Cosford for the air day many moons ago.

Might have been '91 - remember taking part in a Tac Demo there - down the back - great fun :ok: