PDA

View Full Version : RAF Recruitment TV Ad

Donna K Babbs
3rd Aug 2011, 21:54
I thought I'd seen it all but less than 4 weeks before the tranche 1 redundancy announcement and there is an RAF recruitment advert running on Sky Sports.

Absolutely priceless! :ugh:

Willard Whyte
3rd Aug 2011, 22:05
Yes, caught the ad elsewhere when checking my digital re-tune of freeview.

Speechless.

TheWizard
3rd Aug 2011, 23:08
So are they making a whole load of Pers Admin and Medics/Nurses redundant? Nope, didn't think so.

Two's in
4th Aug 2011, 01:05
This has been going on since Pontius was a pilot - whatever you lose at the top through redundancies you still need to fill up from the bottom with new talent. Recruiting is an essential part of keeping the throughput needed, however unpalatable it is to those receiving the "good news" after long careers.

RumPunch
4th Aug 2011, 03:04
Pers Admin there own self ..... the only trade that if removed would save millions to the tax payer , make service people happy and would be of no loss as they exempt all station duties and every other shafting as they secretely made themselves high pay band, i can agree witrh that as they do so much....... :mad:

Whenurhappy
4th Aug 2011, 07:13
Where are TG17 exempt Stn duties? Why?

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2011, 07:41
WUH, do we count that as a bite?

Maybe on some units Pers Admin are exempt one set or duties as they do duty clerk? Just a guess.

Whenurhappy
4th Aug 2011, 09:16
No, it's not a bite, rather challenging a presumption or a statement, without factual support.

Those who know me professionally also know that my life has been spent fighting maladministration - whether it's within the Financial Services industry, the RAF, HMRC, local authorities... My favourite line (familiar to anyone within shouting distance of my desk space in MOD was 'I don't pay your company to make mistakes!'. The advantage of my current appointment is that I have a lovely office, sound-proofing and staff for whom English is a mysterious language that involves shouting, sarcasm and threats (based on my example).

Accordingly, if it is true that Per Serc personnel are exempt Stn duties (which I somehow doubt) I would love to expose this.

Back to the issue at hand, I am sure (I hope!) the Strat Comms people at Air do appreciate the sensitivites - not so much within the Service, but amongst the thinking public - of advertising for recruits when SQEP are about to be shown the door. As for turning off the recruiting tap - the RN did this in the mid 1990s and now they have a surfeit of Senior rates in many disciplines. I am sure that Manning are more than aware of this and realise the constant need for new blood, even if it appears to be counter-intuitive to dismiss qualified people and take in newbies.

Jabba_TG12
4th Aug 2011, 11:59
I had quite a few very good mates who were TG17 @ Wycombe in the 1990's and dont recall them being exempted from station duties.... curious...:suspect:

bobward
4th Aug 2011, 12:22
Isn't the ad for recruiting RAF Reservists, instead of full timers?

Really annoyed
4th Aug 2011, 14:36
A brief summary of the job for TG17.

As a member of the Personnel Support trade (interesting use of the word support there), you will be part of a team that plays a vital role in ensuring that the RAF runs smoothly and efficientlyhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif. (Who writes this stuff?) You’ll receive excellent training to ensure the provision of administrative and personnel support to RAF personnel, wherever the location.

You will be provided with organisational skills utilising electronic media (EMAILS? Any duffer can do that)

you will be trained on an ORACLE-based Human Resource Management System. (They at least get trained on JPA, Unlike the rest of the RAF.)

you’ll be responsible for the effective maintenance of movements and records, (Putting them in an envelope and posting them)

preparing RAF personnel for operational deployments ( Give them a form that they have to do themselves)

ensuring that individuals receive their correct entitlement to pay, allowances and expenses.(All done on JPA by the individual)

So not much then. Oh and no station duties because they do duty clerk.

muppetofthenorth
4th Aug 2011, 14:41
Isn't the ad for recruiting RAF Reservists, instead of full timers?

There are 2 versions. One focuses on the Per Spt Cpl checking off names and is a full time recruitment ad, the other focuses on the Med Flt Lt onboard the Chinook and is aimed at Reservist recruitment [from what I understand after seeing them].

Blacksheep
4th Aug 2011, 14:46
...they do duty clerk?Its an old argument that was still raging when I was in a blue suit - or smartly tailored Changi Village KD. Despite work related duties such as Duty Fitter one week in four, we still got to do Orderly Corporal, Airfield Guard, POL Dump Guard etc., etc. while the Gen Office shinies were exempt station duties because they did Duty Clerk.

On the other hand when stranded in Gan for three weeks after being sent out to recover a broken Belfast and we ran out of beer money, the duty shiny in the Pay Office arranged an advance of salary. Nice chap. We sent him a crate of fresh milk on the next VC10 after we got back to Brize.

Then there's the couple of times on Orderly Sergeant when I worked with the duty clerk late at night, when some poor airman's Mum or Dad had died. I see no reason to complain. Its all one Air Force when all's said and done, and we all have our part to play. :)

Really annoyed
4th Aug 2011, 14:52
the duty shiny in the Pay Office arranged an advance of salary. Nice chap. We sent him a crate of fresh milk on the next VC10 after we got back to Brize.

So he did his job then.:hmm:

Blacksheep
4th Aug 2011, 14:53
No, he went the extra mile. We weren't issued our Pay Books before we left Brize. If he'd stuck strictly to the rules we'd have sat broke and beer-less for another five days.

Really annoyed
4th Aug 2011, 14:55
So he did his job then.:hmm:

Romeo Oscar Golf
4th Aug 2011, 19:56
So he did his job then

Does that happen today RA? If so there is hope.

Nomorefreetime
4th Aug 2011, 20:07
Just an observation, Did we wear Blues in Beirut ?

TheWizard
4th Aug 2011, 21:17
Please tell me that is an attempt at a 'wah'? :confused:

sevendwarfs
5th Aug 2011, 08:25
... and over the length of their career will be promoted sooner and be paid more than an aircraft enginneer, least deserving trade to be on the high pay band.

Whenurhappy
5th Aug 2011, 08:54
At least this thread hasn't degenerated into a Movers and Scuffers bash-fest...

sevendwarfs
5th Aug 2011, 08:59
Oh, I forgot, Suppliers too, they don't deserve to be on the high pay band

muttywhitedog
5th Aug 2011, 18:32
Dont forget the stewards for being a complete waste of space to those who are capable of getting a plate from a stack and putting food on it out of a servery.

But then again, the majority of oiks on here wouldnt know what a stack of plates and a servery are, and would consider a steward essential.

Lyneham Lad
5th Aug 2011, 18:55
My goodness (gasp of admiration) - this bit of PPRuNe really does go from strength to strength, doesn't it!