PDA

View Full Version : Google search? wosup?

tony draper
3rd Aug 2011, 11:29
What have they done to google search?,the stupid bloody thing starts the search before you have finished typing the question and when you do finish typing the whole question you have dozens of hits to sites with the answers to questions you didn't ask.
Frinstance typed 'classical strings on electro acoustic guitar,before I had finished typing I get links to places flogging guitar strings and other guff I have no interest in and is not what I wanted,
Why dont they leave things that work perfectly well alone:suspect:
Could it perhaps be the blistering speed of the Draper home made super puter that is at fault?
:rolleyes:

vulcanised
3rd Aug 2011, 11:43
Try Googling 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' and then send them the results.

Bushfiva
3rd Aug 2011, 12:45
Settings>remove Google Instant

green granite
3rd Aug 2011, 12:47
Tony you need to open 'search preferences' and change the button from 'use Google Instant' to 'Do not use Google Instant' you can change things like filters and the number of results per page. There's a link to it on this page, don't forget to save it before you exit.

Search preferences : Search history and settings - Web Search Help (http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=1224171&answer=35892&rd=1)

green granite
3rd Aug 2011, 12:48
I see Bushfiva beat me to it.

onetrack
3rd Aug 2011, 12:48
I seem to recall reading an article earlier in the year where research showed that Google users were more than a little cheesed off with the speed and accuracy of Google searches... and that other search engines, such as MS's Bing were producing more accurate search results.

In addition, complaints were increasing that Google results were being distorted by an increasing amount of internet trash sites, high in the initial search results.

These trash sites are written by an army of webpage writers who were tweaking their "content farms" (relatively useless sites that just gather strings of only mildly related info, and who then con advertisers into buying ads with them)... so that their "content farms" were picked up first by Google algorithms... and those "content farms" then gained the highest rankings in the search engines results.

Stung, Google claimed it has "tweaked" the performance of Google searches by changing the algorithms to reduce the rankings in the search results, of the useless sites such as the "content farms".

The Google "tweaks" also involved the increased use of "inline autocomplete", whereby your typing result is "guessed at" after a few keystrokes, and completed for you.
I also find this new arrangement distasteful and annoying, and eBay also use it as well. We must be getting old, Cap'n Drapes, it was much better in the old days of Windoze 98.... :suspect:

Google Tweaks Search Engine to Improve Quality of Search Results | Lakeshore Branding (http://www.lakeshorebranding.com/company/blog/google-tweaks-search-engine-to-improve-quality-of-search-results/)

tony draper
3rd Aug 2011, 13:18
Thanks chaps that seems to have done the trick:ok:

Sunnyjohn
3rd Aug 2011, 14:06
Google now works by guessing your interests. It does this by reading the cookies embedded on your computer. If you and a friend google exactly the same search words on each of your computers you will each get a different list of results. You can avoid this by downloading a new browser and disabling cookies in its preferences pane.

Good luck!

Bushfiva
3rd Aug 2011, 14:15
You can avoid this by downloading a new browser

Sorry, that's nonsense.

You can clear cookies at any time in any browser, also in Flash since the latest version. For Google specifically, you can get a "never track me" cookie which won't survive someone clearing all cookies, or you can download a Google add-on which stops tracking and also survives cookie clearing. But, sorry, "downloading a new browser" isn't the way to go.

OFSO
4th Aug 2011, 18:51
Mrs OFSO has asked me to express her profound thanks to you all, and especially to for Tony raising the subject, for getting rid of this ghastly anoyance google foistered on its users. Good show !

Ancient Observer
5th Aug 2011, 12:11
Thanks folks. A big improvement, especially for those of us who know that the relief of Mafeking took place last year, and for whom the Queens Building at lhr represents ghastly modern architecture.