PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Jobs in USA

TraineePilot01
3rd Nov 2001, 00:52
Hi There,

I've nearly got my PPL and was wondering what I need to have in order to be a flight instructor over in the USA? Can I go straight from my PPL and train for my instructors rating or do I need to have an IMC, etc, etc?

Thanks v much.

TP01

PS Anyone know of anywhere in California who want flight instructors?

Britmil
3rd Nov 2001, 03:37
I'm doing my CFI rating at the moment, you need an FAA CPL with IR before you can start training for your CFI.

slim_slag
3rd Nov 2001, 04:18
Getting the FAA CFI rating is only the first part. You need to get a work permit and find a job. If you do not have a green card or US citizenship there are ways of getting very temporary work authorisation if you study for your FAA ratings at an approved US school on an F or J visa (F is better). Then you have to get a job - six months ago it would have been very easy, now it's going to be very hard.

pilotwolf
3rd Nov 2001, 04:41
The need for an IR rating is a new one on me.... :confused:

Stratocaster
3rd Nov 2001, 07:16
The undeniable advantage of becoming a CFI is that you learn a lot more than what you've learned so far. See what I mean ? You only really know what you teach...

BUT... There are hundreds of CFI's waiting for students out there, and dozens more each week. For some of them it has been a good investment, for some not.

Britmil
3rd Nov 2001, 09:13
The need for an IR rating is a new one on me....

Well it's there in the regs pt 61.183 c 1 !

melissab
3rd Nov 2001, 20:23
If I remember my regs correctly from my instructing days in the US if you are a helicopter pilot wishing to instruct in helicopters you do not need an IR. I'm assuming that is where the confusion arose.
However, for an aeroplane insstructor you need the CPL/IR as mentioned earlier.

Re-instructing, I recently heard from a good source that as the airlines have suddenly bumped up all their requirements hour wise it is a good idea to build hours before applying for a job. However, airlines will look more favourably on someone who got their hours instructing or flying cargo etc. than someone who spent $x on 100s of hours in a twin, joyriding around America. Money spent on an instructor rating is money well spent. ;)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Nov 2001, 21:11
TraineePilot01,

Instrument Rating Requirement for Flight Instructor. Under F.A.R. 61.183(c)(2) it reads "An Instrument rating or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought,..."

Hope this Helps,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.