Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

JSCL
2nd Aug 2011, 18:11
Wanted the joy.

New thread for Aer Lingus :)

airbourne
2nd Aug 2011, 20:23
akerosid,

Still possible........Where is there an airframe available to operate the DUB-SFO?

1 in use on the MAD-IAD

Then there is the

DUB-JFK x 2
DUB-BOS x 2
DUB-ORD
SNN-BOS/JFK

Will they drop the 2nd daily flight to BOS, or operate it on the alternate days to SFO??

Not much wiggle room there to be honest.

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Aug 2011, 20:36
Will they drop the 2nd daily flight to BOS, or operate it on the alternate days to SFO??

This season BOS is 10 weekly.

For 2012 its loaded as daily so there is 4 slots available for an A330. EI could squeeze in SFO in they wanted to.

clareview
2nd Aug 2011, 22:14
This is almost an exact repeat of a series of posts last week about fewer Boston rotations next year freeing up capacity for the west coast - why repeat the points again so soon?

airbourne
2nd Aug 2011, 23:03
Some people might have missed it, want to repeat it, or generally go around in circles much like what aer lingus does at the best of times! :ugh:

Bearcat
4th Aug 2011, 13:54
proof of the pudding will be putting more pilots on the 330 as they will need a heavy crew for the west coast. Whats the story fellas?

PPRuNeUser0176
4th Aug 2011, 14:12
EI will have the extra pilots to do it. All the pilots in IAD are Irish and they will come back at the end of March to Dublin as EI are dropping IAD - MAD.

aer lingus
4th Aug 2011, 14:52
Is that definate, there has been conflicting stories about that.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th Aug 2011, 15:44
Aer Lingsu now offering package hoildays with Click & Go.
link to website at end of Aer Lingus.com

Cheap Holidays - Holiday Deals | Aer Lingus Packages (http://www.aerlinguspackages.com/)

blueplatinum
4th Aug 2011, 19:23
If anyone at Aer Lingus reads this thread can I please ask that, if you are planning to operate EI052/EI053 (BFS-LPA-BFS) in S12, can you please schedule it to operate on a day of the week when DUB-LPA-DUB also operates (preferably Saturday) so that if you do have to start combining the flights, as has happened this year, the disruption is kept to a minimum. Thanks.

Jamie2k9
4th Aug 2011, 21:42
Aer Lingus to operate some charter flights on behalf of Topflight and Direct Ski.

Saturdays - Dublin - Salzburg - Cork - Salzburg - Dublin
Sunday - Dublin - Toulouse - Dublin

It is not know if Aer Lingus will also sell seats on board. THey will have there own Dublin - Salzburg as well as the above. Toulouse is currently seasonal.

Cyrano
5th Aug 2011, 08:44
Sorry if this has been asked before (I seem to remember some discussion in the past, but can't find it with a search): which routes are the A330-200s deployed on? I'm guessing one on MAD-IAD, one on DUB-MCO/DUB-BOS, and then one somewhere else? Are -200s reasonably consistently on the same routes or do they chop and change based on loads?

Thanks!
C.

EI320
5th Aug 2011, 11:09
The -200's usually operate the SNN routes as well.

To answer your second question - yes, the scheduling of the A330-200's is reasonably consistent. They cover MAD-IAD, DUB-MCO, EI139 DUB-BOS and SNN. The -300's are reserved for DUB-JFK/ORD and the 137 to BOS. Aircraft can be changed around for operational reasons now and again of course.

airbourne
5th Aug 2011, 11:43
I heard a story that 7 cabin crew based out of Shannon have been sacked, and there is nothing the union can do about it. Something to do with minimum crew rest period. Anybody know anything?

aer lingus
5th Aug 2011, 13:20
The aircraft used on the MAD-IAD flights. are they in EI colours?

EISNN
5th Aug 2011, 14:17
Yes the IAD-MAD-IAD flight is an EI A330-200 in EI colours with an EI and UA flight number. Operated by EI pilots and EI cabin crew who are based in IAD. The flights are handled by Swissport in IAD and by Swissport Menzies in Madrid. Seats are sold on both EI and UA websites.

Cyrano
5th Aug 2011, 15:42
The -200's usually operate the SNN routes as well.

To answer your second question - yes, the scheduling of the A330-200's is reasonably consistent. They cover MAD-IAD, DUB-MCO, EI139 DUB-BOS and SNN. The -300's are reserved for DUB-JFK/ORD and the 137 to BOS. Aircraft can be changed around for operational reasons now and again of course.

Many thanks!

Jack1985
5th Aug 2011, 15:52
Same thing happend in Cork last year a few staff were told to take holiday leave until March i think around 20+ or so, a few were re-deployed to Dublin too. Same is happening this Winter.

Jamie2k9
8th Aug 2011, 11:25
Aer Lingus July passenger up 3% at 1,105,000 passengers.
Long Haul down 3%
Short Haul up 1.1%

EI regional passengers increased by 47.2% compared to July 2010.

Short Haul LF dropped 0.3%
(Short Haul capacity increasing by 2.6%)
Long Haul LF dropped 3%
(Long Haul capacity dropping by 0.5%)

This is first increase in passenger numbers that has nothing to do with weather/ash.

Also an Omni Air B767 arrived this morning with the EI passengers from Fridays cancelled BOS flight. EI-LAX suffered damage to the nose wheel during push back.

airbourne
9th Aug 2011, 13:11
Couple of things Ive been told in the last day or so. -LAX is still in BOS. They are waiting engineers from Airbus to go out and inspect the front landing gear. The Omni air will be operating for a while.

The routes story is changing all the time. As well as MAD-IAD going, and the DUB-SFO starting, there is to be a reduction in the DUB-MCO route, for a return to...............DUB-DXB in conjunction with Qantas to SYD!!!

That has to be one of the best stories Ive heard so far! Compete with the 14 times a week service to AUH.

Anybody want to weigh up the pros and cons of AUH v DXB?????

Jamie2k9
9th Aug 2011, 13:33
Compete with the 14 times a week service to AUH

Its only 10 weekly.

DUB-DXB in conjunction with Qantas to SYD!!!

That would be needed to make the route work. Don't know what to make of it.

snipes
9th Aug 2011, 14:07
HA! What a rumour.

Sounds like the sort of thing someone in work makes up and then counts the number of days until they hear their own rumour spread back to them!

Until I'm sitting in the Cockpit and starting my pushback to DXB, I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

akerosid
9th Aug 2011, 17:19
QF flying DXB-SYD, in competition with EK's 3 flights a day (on some days), and at a time when it's going through massive restructuring? Just don't see it happening. V Australia flies to AUH now (as a codeshare with EY).

This just doesn't ring true; the only way I could see EI flying back to DXB would be if they codeshared with EK; last time, EK wouldn't play ball, largely because EI didn't know its a*se from its elbow - inconsistent product, poor marketing, bad scheduling, but I don't see this happening either; I have always believed, rightly or wrongly, that EI's decision to fly to DXB last time was done solely to keep EK out of DUB,

This rumour just doesn't ring true.

Shamrogue
9th Aug 2011, 17:50
Australia is pretty well served via LON/FRA/CDG/AMS/ the US, and never mind EY's operation via AUH. MCO is slimmed down for the winter. But given the turmoil in the likes of Egypt and how it's perceived by the public, sun spots for winter such as MCO may stay busier than expected.

If EI were to offer a 1 stop alternative with QF I would have suspected West Coast US and connect from there. Also keeps the contingent of US Companies operating in Ireland happy.

But then you never know!

Regards
Shamrogue

airbourne
9th Aug 2011, 21:56
Out of all the rumours coming out of EI, that has to be one of the doozys!!

What is the loads on the MCO route like, and is there much of a drop in winter? I was always told that MCO was a great route for EI.

Jamie2k9
9th Aug 2011, 22:15
What is the loads on the MCO route like, and is there much of a drop in winter? I was always told that MCO was a great route for EI.

There is no drop for winter. Its 3 weekly year round with connections for the other 4 days.

Jack1985
11th Aug 2011, 09:48
As Jamie said its 3 weekly year round with connections for the 4 days it dosent operate a bit lazy for those of you who cant bother to check aerlingus.com which takes about 10 seconds...

I highly doubt Aer Lingus would reduce a great ancillary driven flight if anything you would expect increases in the MCO route as most flights are full and their partnership with American Holidays has proved seriously successful.

Sober Lark
11th Aug 2011, 15:22
With their undervalued shares I'm really glad to hear of their three 'seriously successful' flights a week to MCO. That together with their recent ahem 'booked passenger' stats has me ecstatic.

vkid
11th Aug 2011, 16:25
Follow up to the EI Regional customer issue a few weeks ago.

Response from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann to the complaint I made about my treatment on their flight. | Leo the Geek's Blog (http://leothegeek.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/response-from-aer-lingus-and-aer-arann-to-the-complaint-i-made-about-my-treatment-on-their-flight/)

Jack1985
11th Aug 2011, 17:26
Reading the Aer Arann reply i seriously dont understand how they feel no further action is needed? unless of course a private settlement between the passenger and crew member involved has been made or if his claims are pure bull**it which i highly doubt, if anything the Aer Lingus reply seems acctually better even though it has nothing to do with them but their brand! Dreadfull for Aer Arann especially though no passenger should be treated in such a manner and i hope this complaint goes a lot further.

Noxegon
11th Aug 2011, 17:42
Assuming that Leo the Geek is being truthful, then Aer Arann have a lot to answer for...

akerosid
12th Aug 2011, 05:46
New ATW story on EI and the A350s:

Aer Lingus CEO: A350 not ideal for carrier's transatlantic routes | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/aer-lingus-ceo-a350-not-ideal-carriers-transatlantic-routes-0811?cid=nl_atw_dn&[email protected])

Bottom line: EI will take the aircraft, although they are overspecified for the airline's needs. Won't say how many will be operated and more than likely, will be operated side by side with A330.

I think we can take it from this that any prospect of switching to the 787 is out the window.

Jack1985
12th Aug 2011, 05:49
Looks like Airbus need to go back to the drawing board on the fuel efficiency issues as Emirates is probably one of its biggest Long Haul carriers (with orders) and with more airlines likely to join Emirates and Aer Lingus on their problems with its fuel efficiency their going to have to change it.

Shamrock350
12th Aug 2011, 12:47
Emirates and Aer Lingus have slightly different issues with the A350, Mueller says the aircraft is over specified for their needs but it will be more fuel efficient, it's just simply too much aircraft for their current routes so one way of offsetting that is making it even more fuel efficient and lighter but that's a very EI specific problem, most other airlines, including Emirates say the A359 is a fine aircraft for their needs. EK has a problem with A350-1000 as it's currently overweight according to Tim Clarke, he wants it lighter and with more range so it becomes much closer to a 77W replacement which it will never be anyway.

So although both airline want a more fuel efficient aircraft (who wouldn't) their complaints are very specific to their own needs and Airbus can't build an aircraft to each and every airlines demands.

Jamie2k9
12th Aug 2011, 15:18
EI should of kept the 3 A330 that they had on order and not convert them to A350.

Bearcat
12th Aug 2011, 16:07
watch this space.....someone will grab the EIN 350 orders and in turn EIN will pick up more A330s at bargain base prices in lieu. 330 suits EIN down to a tee re perf/economy/range/reliabilty/GE engs.....changing aircraft types for a small airline when they have had the continuity of a previous type they were happy and continue to be happy takes its toll. My money is on they off load the 350 orders on favourable terms and snap up more 330s

akerosid
12th Aug 2011, 16:30
"EI should of kept the 3 A330 that they had on order and not convert them to A350. "

These three aircraft were converted to 350 orders, for delivery in 2017+; I think the reason they were converted to 350s was that EI didn't want them for the time they were originally supposed to be delivered (2012/13), so the best way to put them on the long finger without losing their deposits was to convert them to 350s and move them out.

Yes, the prospect of selling the A350 delivery slots is attractive, particularly as the aircraft is doing so well. However, in saying what he has said, hasn't CM effectively committed EI to taking them. Maybe they might take 3 or 4 and sell the rest on.

Is there any indication of how long it will take to convert from 330s to 350s? The cockpit photos I've seen of the 350 show some significant differences from the current types, but I guess the Airbus philosophy will be pretty much the same, so if you're 330 qualified, you're 80-90% there, as far as converting is concerned?

j636
12th Aug 2011, 16:57
Can the runway in Dublin handle the A350?

Jamie2k9
12th Aug 2011, 22:22
A350 should be ok and hopefully by then DUB will have its new runway.

akerosid
13th Aug 2011, 05:47
By 2015?

No way will there be a new runway by then; the new runway plan has been deferred and we probably won't see it - if we ever do - this decade.

However, the current 10/28 should be fine for A350 use.

Jamie2k9
13th Aug 2011, 11:54
By 2015?

Thinking more 2018 - 2020

The DAA due to submit a new planning application this year.

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Aug 2011, 12:19
Follow up to the EI Regional customer issue a few weeks ago.

Response from Aer Lingus and Aer Arann to the complaint I made about my treatment on their flight. | Leo the Geek's Blog (http://leothegeek.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/response-from-aer-lingus-and-aer-arann-to-the-complaint-i-made-about-my-treatment-on-their-flight/)

Since the above:
Aer Arann will now look into it further. They met with the affected passenger on Friday and agreed to look into the incident further and get back to him within a week.

blueplatinum
14th Aug 2011, 12:49
Looks like blatant homophobia to me. That cabin crew won't last long in the airline industry if that is the case.

StephenM_SMC
15th Aug 2011, 07:00
RTE now reporting that Aer Lingus has had talks with SFO, SJC, OAK and LAX about opening a route there from DUB possibly as soon as March 2012.

Aer Lingus may resume flights to California - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0815/aerlingus-business.html)

Cyrano
15th Aug 2011, 07:15
I think RTE has just picked up this Irish Times story. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0815/1224302449729.html)

NorthernCounties
15th Aug 2011, 08:42
A spokesman for the Department of Transport said Aer Lingus would be able to tap into a fund of about €8.5 million that has been set aside from the proceeds of the travel tax to promote air access.

Does that mean subsidise? If yes, I'm very happy to see this. I always though airline subsidies should have been paid on important international routes as opposed to a route that has negligible benefit to the economy i.e LDY - DUB. (Especially when government officials used private jets when they'd travel anyway!?)

Hopefully, if DUBs runway does go ahead by the end of this decade as Jamie suggests, perhaps well see this "fund" being used to subsidise a route to one of the eastern powerhouses, Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong, after all the Irish Government cant depend on America solely for its future!

CCR
15th Aug 2011, 10:29
Think a San Francisco-Dublin-Bangalore flight would be the IT industry's dream route, both in the US and Ireland.
Routes to Asia have got be on the agenda in the coming years.

DollarBill
15th Aug 2011, 13:07
I think that DXB rumour is laughable, talk about wishful thinking.

SFO sounds more plausible, it has a good demand, has the option of connection out of SFO to Pacific destinations. And if EI schedule it right the DUB-SFO will depart in the afternoon and be up to 50% full of transfers from the European arrives. Latest stats from EI says 34% of their total long-haul pax are transfers.

In relation to the earlier question I have also heard that EI has sacked 6-8 cabin crew. (Not sure if it is a dull crew) Apparently they were on a badly delayed (>7 hours) flight SNN-BOS which resulted in them getting to the hotel in NYC at 0300 local. (SNN crew work SNN-BOS, then fly to New York in order to operate the following days JFK-SNN. The SNN-JFK crew do the opposite) They insisted they were entitled to 18 hours rest, EI said 12 hours was all they could get. EI crews usually get 20-24 hours in US, with a reduction to 18 in delays. The crew were suspended on their return to SNN.

Turns out the recent LRC ruling doesn't make reference to USA rest periods in disruptions, so EI have sacked them as an example to their other cabin crew. Nice.

airbourne
15th Aug 2011, 15:03
Then after all that, its not happening!

Aer Lingus will not resume flights to US west coast · TheJournal (http://www.thejournal.ie/aer-lingus-will-not-resume-flights-to-us-west-coast-201750-Aug2011/)

What american carriers hubs are LAX and SFO?

Just a spotter
15th Aug 2011, 15:17
I suppose the bean counters in Lingus-Towers are offsetting any revenue gained on a direct US west coast flight against the transfer/loss of revenue on services to primairly LHR, JFK or ORD that the new service would cause due to the transfer/loss of interlining pax on those routes.

Pitty, as a former semi-regular on the LAX service from its inception up to around 2006, the load factors always seemed quite healthy.

JAS

clareview
15th Aug 2011, 17:04
United Continental has a hub at SFO. LAX is much more mixed, or was the last time I was there. In a 2 hour period today, Skywest had 15 arrivals, United Continental 16, Southwest 11, American(+Eagel) 17 and Delta 11

j636
15th Aug 2011, 17:23
So in the papers this morning a person from EI said decision would be made soon after they see if the service would be profitable.

A few hours lather they say they will not fly West coast.

Something doesn't add up. You don't just say a decision will be made soon and then come out and say you will not fly the route a few hours lather.

I think this is Aer Lingus trying to get the media off there back. They knew they had to make a statement on the matter and they couldn't say they are going to fly the route when they don't know yet so they just said they would not fly the route.

EI-BUD
15th Aug 2011, 19:38
I suppose the bean counters in Lingus-Towers are offsetting any revenue gained on a direct US west coast flight against the transfer/loss of revenue on services to primairly LHR, JFK or ORD that the new service would cause due to the transfer/loss of interlining pax on those routes.

Just a spotter; this idea is all fine and well assuming no other carrier will look at this link, ie if an american company came in with a direct daily flight it would be overall a lost opportunity.

Aer Lingus need as a strategic way get after developing connectivity between Dublin and the USA to enable tranfer connections via to Dublin to/from UK and EU airports especially the airports with no direct service.

KLMs have achieved something great in terms of connectivity at AMS, no reason why EI cannot achieve this via DUB T2...

EI-BUD

ryan2000
16th Aug 2011, 04:26
Aerlingus deny reports that it's going to resume West Coast operations into Dublin according to today's Irish Examiner. Dublin Chamber of Commerce very disappointed. Maybe the DAA should talk to a US operator.

JSCL
16th Aug 2011, 06:55
Well all the execs at the USA carriers all ave grass roots to Ireland most probably so will cater for Aer Lingus and supporting their heritage.

(if you'll pardon the joke embedded in to that sentence).

CCR
18th Aug 2011, 09:31
Well said EI-BUD. Aer Lingus will have a profitable SFO service if they continue to develop DUB as a transatlantic hub offering connecting flights between their European and US destinations.

Skipness One Echo
18th Aug 2011, 12:11
Well said EI-BUD. Aer Lingus will have a profitable SFO service if they continue to develop DUB as a transatlantic hub offering connecting flights between their European and US destinations.
You know I remember clearly this was the plan when the Fokker 50 was introduced to support the SF340s and we're twenty years down the line and the long haul network isn't a whole lot bigger.
OK more aircraft but it's still a core Chicago, Boston and New York point to point with Florida holidays having come into the picture.
I think they manage to get come degree of connectivity on price to fill the aircraft that the local market supports but I think it's fair to say, the guys up front paying top dollar haven't been enticed in sufficient numbers.

You can't build a hub beyond your local market without that sort of cross subsidy alas.

EI Premier
18th Aug 2011, 12:52
I think it's fair to say, the guys up front paying top dollar haven't been enticed in sufficient numbers.

You can't build a hub beyond your local market without that sort of cross subsidy alas. There is an important variable here not considered. Top Dollar? Significantly more than Y fares, yes - but no longer the yields Aer Lingus sustained on the West Coast routes during the now, almost long forgotten, years of plenty.

Roundtrip fares to the US West Coast with EI approached EUR 5,500 return in the then Premier cabin. At the time of closing the route in 2009, EI were down to offering pro-active upgrades to fill the forward cabin, at values some 25% of more off their peak.

Premium revenues on a US West Coast route, would average at least 30% less per passenger, than when the route was previously operated. EI are not in a position to command anything higher than that - given the intense price competition ex DUB with regard to the forward cabin, current market conditions, current price/demand equilibrium etc.

Strong volumes are important - revenues proportional to volume are critical, yield is king.

EI Premier

EI-BUD
18th Aug 2011, 18:15
Does anybody know what is the story at BFS with EI tonight?

Lanzarote and Heathrow running late with 2 planes on stand up to 7. LHR took off at 1845 leaving Lanzarote to go. However, next aircraft due in is 2035 from LHR (obvioulsy will be late) but another 320 EI was on approach at 705, did LHR come back or is there a diversion????

I see Lanzarote is showing at cancelled (the return) perhaps the crew would be out of hours, perhaps the plane coming in is one to be in in time for the morning from Dublin to ensure whole schedule goes to schedule?

EI-BUD

DannyKelly22
19th Aug 2011, 00:09
flight EI 0045 is cancelled due to operational reasons. That will leave only 2 planes overnighting at BFS tonight so something will have to be cancelled in the morning unless another aircraft positions up from DUB but i dnt think they have a spare aircraft to cover delays as i think all aircraft are utilised from DUB.

Jamie2k9
19th Aug 2011, 00:19
They have 2 aircraft to cover.

Just a spotter
19th Aug 2011, 12:32
IMHO, all rather strage from EI management on the handling of a resumption of a West Coast route.

Why come out so fast to deny it? Surely, with new route subsidies, even moderatly good load factors in the initial year could make the route viable (assuming an aircraft and crew resources are avilable). If they interline with the EI shorthaul & regional network and get the service away during the CBP 'window', it could be a real option for Irish and UK pax.

Unless of course, they've got their poker faces on and are pushing for a deal with someone somewhere for something in order to kick it all off.

JAS

clareview
20th Aug 2011, 08:42
All this speculation about EI and the west coast is gettign very repetitive why do we need to go over the same ground time after time?

airbourne
21st Aug 2011, 03:29
Maybe its because those who post here are interested in Aer Lingus and want to talk about it on a flying forum! :ugh:

clareview
21st Aug 2011, 10:29
Of course we are all interested in aviation, and, in this case, Aer Lingus but do we need to talk about the same thing, time after time, the same speculation time after time and so on? Surely there are other interesting thoughts that could be aired?

akerosid
21st Aug 2011, 10:41
Well, here's some food for thought. It now seems quite possible, if not likely, that Europe and possibly the US will enter a double dip recession, with an obvious implication for demand. How does EI respond to this - and how quickly can it do so?

Does anyone know when leases on the current 320 fleet are expiring; can it ground a number of its s/h aircraft, as FR has done; it is possible to replace some of those 320s with more 319s at reasonably short notice?

Also, now that RE has stopped flying domestically on some routes, can more of its fleet (even ATR42s) be repainted in EI colours and used on regional services?

ryan2000
21st Aug 2011, 11:30
Aerlingus never went back into expansion mode after the 2008 recession began to ease so it shouldn't have any problem coping with a so called double dip. The moan about the travel tax hindering growth is now seen for what it is. An attempt by airlines to increase their yield without making any attempt to grow traffic let alone develop routes that would bring inbound tourists to Ireland

Only danger for them is possible over exposure to Sun Routes although after another miserable Summer, people will still opt for Santa Ponsa before Salthill if at all possible!

Jamie2k9
21st Aug 2011, 13:20
A further update for charter flights that EI will operate this winter:
Dublin - Geneva - Sat
Dublin - Toulouse - Sun
Dublin - Salzburg - Sat
Cork - Salzburg - Sat
London-Gatwick - Grenoble - Sun

EI Premier
21st Aug 2011, 14:30
A further update for charter flights that EI will operate this winter:
Dublin - Geneva - Sat
Dublin - Toulouse - Sun
Dublin - Salzburg - Sat
Cork - Salzburg - Sat
London-Gatwick - Grenoble - Sun @ Akerosid - This is exactly how EI will cope with an impending potential contraction in economic activity. More information on how EI have diversified away from the purely cyclical/seasonal nature of their business model should be evident in the H1 results. Use of the fleet during the winter season for charters will represent a new source of Revenue for EI.

As I've posted elsewhere, I do hate the word double-dip because not only has it been one promoted by most propaganda driven media outlets since the first quarterly growth was recorded in any Western economy post 2008 - but it is also technically incorrect.

Does anyone know when leases on the current 320 fleet are expiring; can it ground a number of its s/h aircraft, as FR has done; it is possible to replace some of those 320s with more 319s at reasonably short notice? Unlike FR, EI don't really have a significant amount of overcapacity in the fleet on an average annual basis - certainly not during the summer season. I don't see the need to ground aircraft when they can be used to generate other revenues as above - specifically when there are fixed financing costs associated with them that must be serviced?

Top line revenues, would certainly be affected with a disproportionate impact upon premium revenues on Long Haul routes - however EI have been in ''survival'' trending to stabilisation mode for the past two years - so they are much better positioned to withstand a secondary shock on this occasion.

ayroplain
21st Aug 2011, 23:10
The moan about the travel tax hindering growth is now seen for what it is. An attempt by airlines to increase their yield without making any attempt to grow traffic let alone develop routes that would bring inbound tourists to Ireland
Not as simple as that. I think you'll find that the airlines found no attraction in the removal of the travel tax when, at the same time, the DAA were increasing their charges by 40% (which the Aer Lingus CEO described as "insane"). In Aer Lingus' case they don't have the fleet to expand (they can barely keep the current schedule going as it is with what they've got) and Ryanair (who do have the aircraft) were never going to expand here either without getting what they would consider proper concessions from the DAA. Nobody will ever convince me that T2 as we know it was ever required by anyone including the airlines. This millstone will be around the country's neck for the foreseeable future and even still the waste continues with the place lit up on the outside like a Christmas tree night after night.

Jamie2k9
21st Aug 2011, 23:21
Dublin Airport charges are coming down next year only slightly. T2 is not that difference to many other capitial city airports don't see why many people have a problem with it. Its here and people need to deal with it.

positive
22nd Aug 2011, 09:36
Having used Dublin Airport for well over 30 years its definitely needed T2...I wish people would stop thinking T2 will be at full capacity or even near it from day 1.Both T1+T2 are grand to use now at all times during the day compared to a rather cramped T1 which did exist.... Its makes a change for Dublin Airport to have spare terminal capacity..

ayroplain
22nd Aug 2011, 10:15
Its here and people need to deal with it
Well, if my neighbour wants to build an extension on his house he's welcome to do so as long as he doesn't expect me to pay for it.

Having used Dublin Airport for well over 30 years its definitely needed T2
Agreed but not at that cost to the Exchequer (either the DAA's admitted or Ryanair's suggested)

According to plans I was shown the next grandiose idea by the DAA was to extend Pier B out with the resultant closure of 16/34. "Insane" doesn't even cover it. However, this the Aer Lingus thread so I won't go on.

Interesting item in today's Indo. I have no sympathy with anyone who arrives at the airport 45 minutes before the stated flight departure time.
Bruce Arnold: Why our 'friendly' airline has lost me as passenger - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bruce-arnold-why-our-friendly-airline-has-lost-me-as-passenger-2854086.html)

EI Premier
22nd Aug 2011, 10:32
Dublin Airport charges are coming down next year only slightly. T2 is not that difference to many other capitial city airports don't see why many people have a problem with it. Its here and people need to deal with it.

What do you mean - people need to deal with it? The DAA needs to deal with it's massive debt burden, that's what needs to be dealt with - and urgently.

I don't dispute that Terminal 2 was needed. It is a fantastic facility but it's supposed levels of efficiency never seem to exist when I travel through it.

For example - a recent report stated that over 90% or more of passengers were getting through security within the timelines as laid down by the regulator. There's a lot of number fudging going on here - because I am reliably informed that security waiting times were up to 45 minutes this morning at T2. Any time that I have travelled through T2 - security wait times have been moderate, with wait times of up to 25 minutes even via Fast Track!

Well, if my neighbour wants to build an extension on his house he's welcome to do so as long as he doesn't expect me to pay for it.

Very much agreed.

EI Premier

PPRuNeUser0176
22nd Aug 2011, 11:31
We all have to pay for things we don't want to. Did I want to pay for the bankers. No. Much rather pay for T2 than them.

airbourne
22nd Aug 2011, 13:07
Can we move the last 5 posts to the DUBLIN thread and then stay on topic?

DannyKelly22
26th Aug 2011, 18:11
i see EI have updated their Fleet Info page, only thing is they havent put the names for the 4 new aircraft, but they have removed ORD for the A330 fleet info.

PPRuNeUser0176
26th Aug 2011, 23:18
All Aer Lingus flights to/from JFK on Sunday are cancelled as well as MAD - IAD today.

DannyKelly22
26th Aug 2011, 23:20
all flights to jfk have been cancelled today 27th and tomorroow 28th, next available seat from JFK-DUB isn't until 1st September and thats only a business class seat, next seat after that isnt until 2nd sept and that was before todays 104/5 and 108/9 was cancelled. Starting to feel for all my friends working for EI out at JFK now, hope u all keep safe.

Shamrock350
26th Aug 2011, 23:20
Aer Lingus have also got a new tagline, Aer Lingus. Great Care. Great Fare. will be rolled out in the coming weeks along with a new marketing campaign by the new agency Irish International.

DannyKelly22
27th Aug 2011, 15:09
anyone got any pics of the EI retro jet at BFS yesterday. It routed DUB-BCN-BFS-LHR-BFS-LHR-SNN and is now doing the SNN-LHR rotation today and possibly tomorrow. think its the first its been to BFS

clareview
27th Aug 2011, 15:50
I thought it visited Belfast within a day or two of delivery

DannyKelly22
27th Aug 2011, 17:17
not that i was aware of, i might have, not saying your wrong, jus never seen any photos of it,

Noxegon
27th Aug 2011, 17:45
Random minor EI rant based on six flights with them in the last three weeks;

Can we please dispense with the PA announcement just prior to touch down asking for one final check that your seat belt is fastened? The crew have checked it just moments before. It isn't going to magically open itself in the intervening sixty seconds. If a SLF has opened it in violation of all previous instructions the extra announcement isn't going to make them close it again...

Jack1985
28th Aug 2011, 15:13

Can we please dispense with the PA announcement just prior to touch down asking for one final check that your seat belt is fastened? The crew have checked it just moments before. It isn't going to magically open itself in the intervening sixty seconds. If a SLF has opened it in violation of all previous instructions the extra announcement isn't going to make them close it again...

I mean do you have anything good to talk about? you would be suprised at the amout of pax who stand up on final approach and are requested to sit down or during taxi, i couldnt give a flying f*ck how many times they say it as you have bear in mind its for each persons individual safety, have to say when people complain about someone (or company) trying to look out for their safety it really does drive me mad :mad:

Noxegon
28th Aug 2011, 18:28
No need to get personal. I travel very regularly as a SLF on a wide variety of airlines. EI is the only airline that feels the need to make this specific reminder, and as I mentioned the very people it is aimed at are the ones who are least likely to pay attention to it.

On an early morning flight with LH earlier this summer the only PA other than the safety demo was three terse words; "boarding is completed". If it works for the Germans, then why not the Irish?

If I'm reading your post correctly, can I assume that you'd be quite happy to spend a flight (lets call it a long haul one) with the safety demo playing on loop? It would be, after all, for passenger safety.

eastern wiseguy
28th Aug 2011, 18:58

Write to Aer Lingus and vent to them...this is hardly the correct forum.

airbourne
29th Aug 2011, 15:27
Noxegen,

You have little to worry about if you feel the need to come on here and vent your feelings about a PA. I am a regular SLF, yet I will still put down the paper, or book and pay attention to the safety briefing for the 2 minutes that it takes, and yes, just like crew, I see people get up and during taxiing, take off and landing. The most recently prime example is one french actor who thought it was ok to go to the toilet. Safety PA's are their for a reason, next time dont fly Aer Lingus and take Lufthansa instead! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Noxegon
29th Aug 2011, 17:25
It would appear that I'm in a minority of one on this.

Apologies for the thread creep. I'll go back into my corner now.

Jamie2k9
31st Aug 2011, 19:16
14.2million pre tax loss for half year. higher because of cabin crew dispute.

Strong recovery in second quarter when they made a pre tax profit of 42.2million.

Airline expected to make a profit for 2011 with strong bookings for the rest of the year.

Aer Lingus upbeat despite first-half loss - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0831/aerlingus-business.html)

racedo
31st Aug 2011, 22:05
12 million profit by cancelling out hedging for purchase of new aircraft is part of the profit shown in Q2.

Still tough times ahead of them but better than it was.

dublinaviator
2nd Sep 2011, 11:19
The UK's Office of Fair Trading are to resume their investigation into Ryanair's stake in Aer Lingus:

UK resumes probe into Ryanair's Aer Lingus stake - European, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/european/uk-resumes-probe-into-ryanairs-aer-lingus-stake-2864774.html)

I still don't understand why the UK's OFT is wasting their country's taxpayers money investigating this when the UK has absolutely no say on whether Ryanair can have a stake in, or take over, Aer Lingus. The only people who can prevent this are the Irish government and the European Commission.

Just a spotter
2nd Sep 2011, 11:24
Because it potentially could negatively impact on competition on UK-Ireland routes.

JAS

dublinaviator
2nd Sep 2011, 12:11
Because it potentially could negatively impact on competition on UK-Ireland routes

How could Ryanair having a 30% stake in Aer Lingus have any impact on that? They don't even have someone on the Aer Lingus board. Not to mention the fact that the European Commission have already investigated this and ruled that Ryanair can hold their stake in Aer Lingus.

This is just grandstanding on the part of the UK's OFT who again have no say on whether or not Ryanair can hold a stake in Aer Lingus, or even take them over.

peacock1
2nd Sep 2011, 22:22
The UK OFT have no say whatsoever in the EI / FR debate ?
You must be joking !
I just love the way Ryanair supporters on this website consider their
far flung opinions as fact !
Are you sure ?
Really sure 'bout that ?
Perhaps you would like to call Mr. Fingleton, the head of the UK OFT,
and tell him he has no power in this regard ?
A reputable Irish newspaper published an article on this during the past
year, among which is the forced sale by FR of it's stake !!
So, dublinaviator, you are wrong.
Completely wrong.
Just because FR want something to be, does'nt mean it has to be.
If, and it may be if, you are a pilot, I think you have a nasty case of
expectation bias.
Let the OFT decide.
I think FR are worried about this, and their stranglehold on EI may be
about to be broken.
Time will tell.

3rd Sep 2011, 00:50
That Ryanair don't have anyone on the Aer Lingus board is irrelevant. Large capital purchases have to be approved by the shareholders. So, let's say Aer Lingus wanted to buy 15 Embraer 195s so offer more frequent service to UK airports than can work in an A320, Ryanair could block the purchase. It's not like they control Aer Lingus, but they can significantly influence Aer Lingus's business strategy.

racedo
3rd Sep 2011, 09:06
That Ryanair don't have anyone on the Aer Lingus board is irrelevant. Large capital purchases have to be approved by the shareholders. So, let's say Aer Lingus wanted to buy 15 Embraer 195s so offer more frequent service to UK airports than can work in an A320, Ryanair could block the purchase. It's not like they control Aer Lingus, but they can significantly influence Aer Lingus's business strategy.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with UK Government as both are Irish companies.

UK Govt would tell French to mind its own business if 2 UK companies had stakes in each other and France wished to declare what the companies should do.

The clowns in UK Govt don't realise they are now setting a precedent that allows other Govts to interfere in UK companies.

As for large capital purchase needing to be approved by shareholders ! Fraid not always the case as that is regarded as day to day management which they can do without shareholder approval.

Perhaps UK Govt should start looking at Easyjet where a large shareholder is directly interfering publicly in the day to day management of the airline including forcing directors out.

dublinaviator
3rd Sep 2011, 11:58
A reputable Irish newspaper published an article on this during the past
year, among which is the forced sale by FR of it's stake !!
So, dublinaviator, you are wrong.
Completely wrong.

Ryanair hasn't had to sell any of its stake in Aer Lingus so I dunno where you're pulling that from.

If you want to talk about facts, the European Court of Justice ruled last year that Ryanair can hold it's stake in Aer Lingus. So not only is the UK OFT wasting their country's taxpayers money investigating something they have no say in, they're also meddling in Irish affairs where they have no jurisdiction, regardless of what a UK court says. Not to mention they're investigating something thats already been ruled on by not just the ECJ but also the European Commission, who have the ultimate say over this.

3rd Sep 2011, 14:14
Racedo->That is the business of the UK government as the UK government is perfectly entitled to take a stand on ownership that could give dominance over the routes from the UK to one of it's most important trading partners.

Between them Ryanair and Aer Lingus account for about 90% of UK-Dublin flights and the percentage is even higher for Irish regional airports.

The only real surprise is that Irish Authorities haven't shown more interest in the control Ryanair can exert over Aer Lingus.

punchus
3rd Sep 2011, 14:25
Dublin Aviator:
You are correct the OFT has no teeth it cannot force Ryanair to sell its stake in AerLingus. If it finds however that Ryanair has exerted de facto influence over the company then it can refer the matter to The Competions Authority. They have lots of teeth. Ask the BAA or Ferrovial if they wanted to sell Gatwick Airport. Ryanair has already exerted influence at board level in Aerlingus by blocking Share issues on more than one occasion and blocking possible fleet changes. This was done during each AGM the company has had by Ryanair using its stake to block the special resolutions neccessary to effect these changes.
Ryanair and Aerlingus compete on a number of city pair routes between Ireland and UK. The European Competitions Committe has already found that there would be reduced competition on these routes if a merger was allowed therefore the OFT has a right to probe the matter. This has already been ruled on by the UKs Court of Appeal.
So Mr Fingleton has a lot more power than he would appear. Lets wait and see what happens. Perhaps O'Leary protests too much because he sees the writing on the wall.
Lets hope so!

racedo
3rd Sep 2011, 18:08
You are correct the OFT has no teeth it cannot force Ryanair to sell its stake in AerLingus. If it finds however that Ryanair has exerted de facto influence over the company then it can refer the matter to The Competions Authority. They have lots of teeth. Ask the BAA or Ferrovial if they wanted to sell Gatwick Airport.

BAA is a UK entity and it was forced to sell.

OFT has no teeth regarding Irish companies and when it tries it will find UK companies getting hauled into other juristictions.

Ryanair has already exerted influence at board level in Aerlingus by blocking Share issues on more than one occasion and blocking possible fleet changes. This was done during each AGM the company has had by Ryanair using its stake to block the special resolutions neccessary to effect these changes.

Eh ?

Shareholders have a right at an AGM to consider what is best for their investment.

Given the management of Aer Lingus over the last number of years in blowing hundreds of millions in its failed strategy after failed strategy then its hardly surprising support wasn't forthcoming.

That however is not exerting influence as having less than 30% of the shareholding and being consistently outvoted is not having "INFLUENCE".

AGM are not there just to rubber stamp whatever the board want to do no matter how idiotic.

dublinaviator
3rd Sep 2011, 18:48
That is the business of the UK government as the UK government is perfectly entitled to take a stand on ownership that could give dominance over the routes from the UK to one of it's most important trading partners.

Between them Ryanair and Aer Lingus account for about 90% of UK-Dublin flights and the percentage is even higher for Irish regional airports.

I'm sorry but how is it the UK's business if 2 Irish companies decide to merge? Whats stopping any British airline giving them competition?

Dublin Aviator:
You are correct the OFT has no teeth it cannot force Ryanair to sell its stake in AerLingus. If it finds however that Ryanair has exerted de facto influence over the company then it can refer the matter to The Competions Authority. They have lots of teeth. Ask the BAA or Ferrovial if they wanted to sell Gatwick Airport.

The BAA was a British company who controlled British airports. Ryanair and Aer Lingus are Irish companies. Neither the UK OFT or the Competitions Authority in the UK have the right or jurisdiction to rule that 2 Irish companies cannot merge.

Ryanair has already exerted influence at board level in Aerlingus by blocking Share issues on more than one occasion and blocking possible fleet changes. This was done during each AGM the company has had by Ryanair using its stake to block the special resolutions neccessary to effect these changes.

Ryanair hasn't blocked any fleet changes by Aer Lingus. If only they did, because Aer Lingus are now tied into a contract to buy A350s which are way too big for them.

Also the only resolution I can think of which they've blocked was one which would've diluted their shares, and they had every right to do that.

Ryanair and Aerlingus compete on a number of city pair routes between Ireland and UK. The European Competitions Committe has already found that there would be reduced competition on these routes if a merger was allowed therefore the OFT has a right to probe the matter. This has already been ruled on by the UKs Court of Appeal.

The UK's OFT isn't investigating the impact of a merger between the 2 airlines. Both the European Commission and the European Court of Justice have already ruled that the 2 airlines can't merge. What the UK OFT is probing is the impact of Ryanair's stake in Aer Lingus. But considering the ECJ has already ruled that Ryanair can keep it's stake in Aer Lingus, its a pointless probe and a complete waste of UK taxpayers money.

So Mr Fingleton has a lot more power than he would appear. Lets wait and see what happens. Perhaps O'Leary protests too much because he sees the writing on the wall.
Lets hope so!

There is no writing on the wall. The European Court of Justice has already ruled that Ryanair can hold it's stake in Aer Lingus. Thats the end of it, you can't go any higher.

punchus
3rd Sep 2011, 18:50
[QUOTE]That however is not exerting influence as having less than 30% of the shareholding and being consistently outvoted is not having "INFLUENCE"./QUOTE]

Under Aerlingus Articles of incorporation to pass a special resolution you need greater than 75% of the votes. Ryanair can block all of these resolutions with its stake and therefore exerts influence on the company now and has done in the past. Its presence on the register serves to depress share price and stifle any further company strategies that do not fall in with Ryanairs' plans.

racedo
3rd Sep 2011, 19:31
Under Aerlingus Articles of incorporation to pass a special resolution you need greater than 75% of the votes. Ryanair can block all of these resolutions with its stake and therefore exerts influence on the company now and has done in the past. Its presence on the register serves to depress share price and stifle any further company strategies that do not fall in with Ryanairs' plans.

Wrong.

To exert influence on a company is to influence it to do things rather than the other way round.

The idea that presence of Ryanair on the register is depressing share price is laughable in the extreme.

The actions of a number of CEO's and crass management aided and abetted by Unions is what has driven the share price downward as Aer Lingus dreams up stupid strategy after stupid strategy to blow hundreds of millions in €.

Having Europe's most successful airline over last 10 years on your register isn't going to depress price.

4th Sep 2011, 08:37
The British bodies can make a decision on an issue involving Irish companies because it affects the supply of services in the UK.

Imagine that the British Vodafone and Spanish O2 decided to merge. Do you think the Irish regulatory bodies would be entitled to look at a merger that would create a company with 85% Market share in Ireland?

BTW The BAA was Spanish owned by the time the enforced sales was implemented.

racedo
4th Sep 2011, 09:48
BTW The BAA was Spanish owned by the time the enforced sales was implemented.

Course it was as there was never a competition issue with UK airports when BAA was British owned, day after it was bought by Ferrovial the were huge competition issues.

Lord Lardy
5th Sep 2011, 15:57
From the Indo (http://www.independent.ie/business/world/in-brief-aer-lingus-set-for-big-boost-to-profits-2865936.html)

Saturday September 03 2011

AER Lingus is likely to generate almost double the previously anticipated level of operating profits this year and in 2012 as its margin and mix of business improves, according to Merrion Capital. Analyst Gerard Moore yesterday significantly upgraded his forecasts for the airline following the release this week of its interim results. He said that this year Aer Lingus (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Aer_Lingus) should generate an operating profit of €32.6m, implying a margin of about 2.5pc. That compares to his previous estimate of €17.5m.

EI Premier
5th Sep 2011, 16:19
From the Indo (http://www.independent.ie/business/world/in-brief-aer-lingus-set-for-big-boost-to-profits-2865936.html)A very optimistic forecast and one that's looking increasingly unlikely given the current environment. Q4, in particular, will quite likely be weaker than is perhaps anticipated as contraction feeds into real economic consumption. More vigirous discounting will quite likely be necessary, affecting Total Revenues.

In the end, the bottom line is the most important component and EI will quite likely have several Exceptional Items for the Full Year.

This investigation by the UK OFT is just another paperwork exercise to justfiy the existence of yet another Quango. No matter what their findings and any subsequent forced implementations, the private/free market will always find a way to override them if they are economically unfeasible.

EI Premier

EI-BUD
5th Sep 2011, 20:42
According to Irish Air Letter - latest issue, it reported that some source had stated that Aer Lingus is looking at regional jets for delivery in the next 2 years, mentioned Embraer and C Series, and apparently C Muller had said he thinks C Series is a fantastic concept, and given that LH will have it tried and tested that will give them a chance to see how they get on with it, he also said that given that the aircraft is partially made on the Island of Ireland, they would give it close consideration.

EI-BUD

vkid
7th Sep 2011, 09:07
anyone hear Varadkar on newstalk this morning? Sounds like the 25% is back on the market, pretty much said after review they don't consider it strategic anymore, but nothing written in stone, not yet fully decided etc etc.. Didnt seem to rule out selling airports or terminals either.

Clip might be online later

edit : Varadkar considering sale of Government stake in Aer Lingus | BreakingNews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-considering-sale-of-government-stake-in-aer-lingus-519529.html)

7th Sep 2011, 10:40
I can't really see the point.

Ryanair aren't allowed to buy it.

No other airline is going to want it when Ryanair would be an even larger shareholder.

And by pre-announcing it in this way, they'll drive down the price they can get anyway.

vkid
7th Sep 2011, 10:52
What would 25% of EI make these days anyway? The Ryanair stake would surely put off any buyers but the IMF/Eu are calling the shots and sales of state assets is part of that.

Just a spotter
7th Sep 2011, 11:21
IMHO, the Ryanair stake will be just one more reason, amongst a number of significant other reasons, why Aer Lingus is not that attractive as a buy for another airline, but it would not be a serious impediment to making it 'a buy' to professional investors.

The big problem would be a sale to any firm that would be inclined to asset strip or look for very quick returns on its investment.

Despite the structure of share holding, excluding the State's stake, and the long tradition of a somewhat fractious nature to management/union relations, EI has a decent chance of a being a long term, profitable operation, all be it as a relative minnow in the airline sector.

JAS

EI Premier
7th Sep 2011, 12:13
What would 25% of EI make these days anyway?A gross figure of south of EUR 100 million given the current share price and well south of EUR 100 million if the most recent 30 day average is used.

The big problem would be a sale to any firm that would be inclined to asset strip or look for very quick returns on its investment.This would be my precise worry. EI is currently more attractive in terms of accumulated asset holdings rather than potential earnings.

EI Premier

7th Sep 2011, 13:49
It seems Ryanair are also willing to sell now.

That would make Aer Lingus a more attractive target for another airline.

But who?

JSCL
7th Sep 2011, 14:14
Sell BMI, buy EI, roll on LH?

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Sep 2011, 18:40
Ryanair Statement on Aer Lingus (http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-statement-on-aer-lingus-2)

Just a spotter
7th Sep 2011, 20:57
OK, calm down everyone.

Before any wild speculation as to 'possible' suitors for Aer Lingus, can someone please outline a list of the benefits to any major in the purchase of EI? Because, for the life of me, I can't see too many. At best, it is a small regional, with a small, well served and very competitive home market that is experiencing a recession and contains no significant traffic hub, internal unions that on occasion will impact on operations and is staring at significant further provisions for its pension scheme. The airline is already an established feeder from its home market to all the major European hubs as well some US gateways.

Now, for an LH, IAG, KLM/AF or similar of this world, what's the upside? No US carrier is a likely buyer. Maybe a Gulf player with 'more money than sense' might take a look, but I doubt it. A merger with a couple of smaller players might make sense, at a stretch, but then who?

As ever, I'll defer to the Pprune-Parish-Brains-Trust.:)

JAS

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2011, 22:27
Just a spotter, I see your point re who would have interest; I think BA could certainly be a front runner if any. The rumours were last year that EI was destined for an Alliance, if it was Star Alliance, would this jeopardise the strong feed of traffic into LHR with EI to the BA network. BA put signifcant worth on this Irish originating traffic.

Aside from this is could well be a personal objective of Willie Walsh to see EI under the IAG umbrella first to secure that interline traffic but also to develop the brand further, EI has come through the worst of times at the height the recession with FR stronger than ever. EI has alot of opportunities firstly increase transatlantic operation and transfer opportunities, opportunity to grow Aer Lingus Regional and also to exploit a strenght that could exist, serving high frequency routes with a smaller e jet for eg this could be good against FR on thin routes that could drive good business fares.

EI-BUD

Jamie2k9
7th Sep 2011, 22:33
If EI was sold at the current share price its only worth about €83 million (RTE news). Thats nothing to what EU/IMF want.

Think it will not be sold this year. ESB and other larger assits will be gone before it.

7th Sep 2011, 22:49
I wonder would interest from BA run into trouble because of the number of Heathrow slots it would give BA. Those slots are one of the most valuable asses you get with Aer Lingus.

Otherwise, they don't provide a good fit for AF/KLM.

Potentially, they're more interesting to Star Alliance. All Star's long-haul hubs are quite far east in Europe and having one right out on the edge of the Atlantic could prove useful.

I think we can rule out majority middle-east ownership because of the effect on open skies rights both within Europe and transatlantic.

Just possibly, there could be some kind of tie-up with JetBlue. Again because of Open Skies restrictions, Jet Blue couldn't buy them, but they could take a 30% stake.

vkid
8th Sep 2011, 09:44
"Think it will not be sold this year. ESB and other larger assits will be gone before it."

It won't be this year anyway as the government are not discussing this with the IMf until December afaik. They are now looking for a 5bn asset sale instead of the original 2bn, so I would say everything is on the table.

justanotherloser
8th Sep 2011, 12:05
With all due Respect just a spotter, calling EI a "small regional at best" is nonsense. RE or WX are small regionals.

Airlines that carry 10 million pax and fly long haul routes are not regional, and in a European context, are not considered small either.

By your rationale, BMI, Finnair and TAP are all small regionals too, while Virgin are but a cottage industry, measured by pax carried.

EI is a medium sized european airline with an interesting mini hub possibility in DUB, and home carrier of a Market that provides the mighty BA with 10% of it's revenue.

By your logic, Malev, CSA and many other carriers would all have been shunned by alliances because they are even smaller than the "small regional".

And no, I don't work for them....;)

dublinaviator
8th Sep 2011, 13:19
Just possibly, there could be some kind of tie-up with JetBlue. Again because of Open Skies restrictions, Jet Blue couldn't buy them, but they could take a 30% stake.

No under Open Skies, American carriers were allowed to take up to 49% ownership of European airlines, while European airlines were only allowed to take 25% ownership of American carriers.

They changed that last year though, so carriers either side of the Atlantic can now take majority ownership of other American/European carriers. It just needs to be approved by the US Congress/national government and the European Commission.

Open Sky US-EU "open sky" agreement expanded, cross ownership issue still in limbo - eTurboNews.com (http://www.eturbonews.com/16919/us-eu-open-sky-agreement-expanded-cross-ownership-issue-still-li)

So the door is wide open for JetBlue or any other US carrier to take over Aer Lingus...

Cyrano
8th Sep 2011, 13:19
home carrier of a Market that provides the mighty BA with 10% of it's revenue.

That's a very impressive stat and I must have missed it - is there a source? (Not questioning the number, just curious to know who said it/when).

DannyKelly22
8th Sep 2011, 13:34
with the new Eimerates service starting in January I wonder will EI be interested in a codeshare with them on the flight?

dublinaviator
8th Sep 2011, 13:41
with the new Eimerates service starting in January I wonder will EI be interested in a codeshare with them on the flight?

They wouldn't have anything to gain from a codeshare with Aer Lingus as they already have direct flights to 28 cities (29 now with Dublin) in Europe.

DannyKelly22
8th Sep 2011, 13:59
what about connection to US, BOS, ORD and MCO are currently not served by them and with the timing of the flights they tie in Nicely for connection possibilities, don't know what way US preclearance would work though, suppose im just dreaming now.

dublinaviator
8th Sep 2011, 14:23
The only codeshare agreement that Emirates has outside of Asia and Africa is with Air Malta.

Aer Lingus already tried to develop a codeshare agreement with Emirates back when they started their own Dubai route and Emirates weren't interested. Part of the reason was probably down to Aer Lingus' poor long-haul product, but the main reason was Emirate's policy of developing it's own direct links with it's hub in Dubai. Thats why they're not part of an alliance, and why they've so few codeshare agreements, they want to fly routes with their own metal.

So its a non-starter IMO.

Flypuppy
8th Sep 2011, 14:30
Article in todays Times says that Ryanair have had a change of heart with regards to their shareholding as it has dropped in value from 300million to 100million and are now prepared to sell.

Aer Lingus would be much easier for BA to assimilate than bmi would, plus Aer Lingus is actually making money...

dublinaviator
8th Sep 2011, 14:34
I'm sure IAG will be interested, but I think its more likely to be Lufthansa if not one of the US carriers.

Flypuppy
8th Sep 2011, 14:58
Why Lufthansa? What indications are there that they have an interest?

A possible merger of British Airways and Aer Lingus looked closer yesterday after the Irish flag carrier’s two largest shareholders indicated their willingness to sell.
The Irish Government said that it no longer regarded its 25 per cent stake as strategically vital and was considering a sale. A commitment to dispose of the €100 million (£88 million) holding could come as early today after ministers meet in Dublin.
Aer Lingus’s other big shareholder, Ryanair, surprised many analysts as it, too, said that it was open to selling its 29.8 per cent holding. The no-frills carrier has made two bids for its Irish rival since acquiring the stake five years ago but has been blocked by European competition regulators.
The value of Ryanair’s stake has fallen by more than €300 million to about €100 million since the shares were bought. In a statement yesterday, it said: “Should another financially strong airline/investor acquire the Government’s 25 per cent stake, Ryanair would not rule out entering into discussions with that party for the subsequent disposal of Ryanair’s near-30 per cent stake subject to an acceptable agreement on price and maximising shareholder value.”
Analysts said that the obvious candidate to buy the stakes would be International Airlines Group, which owns BA and Iberia. IAG has said that it wants to lead consolidation in European aviation and Aer Lingus would be an attractive addition. The Irish carrier is the fourth-largest operator at Heathrow and a merger would add 3 per cent of the airport’s slots to IAG’s allocation.
IAG should be well placed to assess the value of a possible merger as its chief executive Willie Walsh was previously the boss of Aer Lingus.
Analysts at Credit Suisse said: “IAG is the most likely to have strongest appetite in accessing Aer Lingus’s Heathrow portfolio. However, it remains to be seen whether it may have interest in the rest of the business.”
Ryanair’s presence on the share registry was expected to be an impediment to a deal with another carrier. The budget airline’s conciliatory tone yesterday, therefore, has been seen as a significant step towards a possible deal with IAG or Air France-KLM, the other likely bidder. Another possible impediment is the €344 million pension deficit in the Aer Lingus and Dublin Airports Authority fund.
Analysts at Bloxham, the Dublin stockbroker, said: “We suspect IAG, despite protestations, would like to buy Aer Lingus, but only with a clean pension fund.” IAG declined to comment.
The Irish Government is under pressure to raise money from asset sales after its €85 billion bailout by the European Union. The Government has committed to raising about €2 billion by disposing of assets but the International Monetary Fund has said that even more might need to be sold. The IMF yesterday cut its 2011 growth forecast for Ireland from 0.6 per cent to 0.4 per cent because of the worsening economic environment in Europe.
The Irish Government previously has been unwilling to consider a sale of the Aer Lingus stake because it wanted to maintain the airline’s position at Heathrow, which is seen as important for maintaining Ireland’s business connections with London and international markets.
However, Leo Varadkar, the Transport Minister, said yesterday: “It’s certainly under consideration, it’s definitely one of the candidates [for disposal].
“That stake in the past was held for strategic reasons. I don’t think that really stands any more.” Analysts at Bloxham said: “We’ve heard lots of verbiage about how this country will change radically as it moves to kick the IMF out. The time for talking about asset sales is surely over. Now we need action.”

vkid
8th Sep 2011, 14:59
" plus Aer Lingus is actually making money..."

Did it not make a loss for the first 6 months of the year?

Aer Lingus upbeat despite first-half loss - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0831/aerlingus-business.html)

Aer Lingus has reported a pre-tax loss of €14.2m for the first half of this year, compared with a €20.8m loss in the same period last year.
Operating losses were €27.8m, 46% higher than the €19m loss in the same period last year.

justanotherloser
8th Sep 2011, 15:10
Yes, it did lose money on the first 3 months... like nearly every other airline.

EI Premier
8th Sep 2011, 16:49
Did it not make a loss for the first 6 months of the year?
EI will quite likely return marginal, post exceptional item profits for the Full Year. That alone however, is subject to significant downside risks with a slowing global and stagnated domestic economy.

However, EI's losses during Q1 of this year were disproportionate to the losses suffered by other airlines during the same period - when the losses are weighted in proportion to top lines revenues.

Aer Lingus is highly unlikely to generate any material net earnings growth in the coming one - three year period and there is a risk that it would be targeted by investors, not seeking to grow or enhance EI but seeking to target it's substantial core asset base.

EI Premier

PPRuNeUser0176
8th Sep 2011, 17:40
One passenger and Two cabin crew were taking to hospital yestaerday after falling ill on a flight from TLS - DUB yesterday. Oxgen masks were down and its suspected that it was a pressure problme as before departure in TLS one of the doors could not be closed normally and required attenction.

PPRuNeUser0176
9th Sep 2011, 20:51
Aer Lingus stake sale unlikely before 2012: Irish govt (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/09/08/361770/aer-lingus-stake-sale-unlikely-before-2012-irish-govt.html)

British Grenadier
9th Sep 2011, 21:06
Aer Lingus selling off it's ground handling at LHR in 2000 was a knee jerk reaction to the ground handling market , always a steady income from 30 + airlines that it handled at LHR , i hope they get what's coming to them :E:E:E:E:E

EISNN
10th Sep 2011, 03:05
@BritishG maybe you should make yourself more clear. it sounds like you're wishing the very same misery on the remaining staff in EI that happened to the staff in EILHR then. NICE. No one in front line EI-IRL wanted that to happen to their colleagues in LHR. They went to great lengths to stop it but Bernie Cahill and Gary Mc Cann were not for changing on it. Speaking as a former EINN staff member, I know only too well what happened at the time and didn't like what was done to my colleagues. Considering the amount of business and profit that was being made from the ENORMOUS operation that was in EILHR at the time it didn't make sense.

PPRuNeUser0176
11th Sep 2011, 13:30
Are A the A321 not being used this winter?

Was trying to book flights to LPA after Christmas and all showing as A320. Dates I wanted are full so have to use FR:mad:

Last year left it until November to book and it was fine.

Just a spotter
11th Sep 2011, 18:14
BMI may be for sale

The Press Association: Airline BMI 'for sale' after losses (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h1xZP8L2K8LKHH0TxuljXsHjbQmw?docId=N031716131574681827 3A)

which might scupper the "just buy EI and rip off the slots" option being mooted by those who see BA as a suitor (the same argument is being used for BD, but I doubt that would pass UK competition authorities).

IMHO, EI and BD as a pairing might work, but would require quite a bit of integration (Wasn't there a rumour that EI management looked at a merger prior to the floatation or am I imagining that?).

JAS

Jamie2k9
19th Sep 2011, 21:45
Aer Lingus will also operate charter flights from DUB - Agadir this winter after they have dropped there scheduled winter service.

colegate
20th Sep 2011, 16:42
I do not understand why anyone can even speculate that IAG might be interested in buying into EI. First EI's dominant business is that of a regional airline carrying O&D traffic between Dublin and major European cities. That is of little interest to a large European airline interested in network opportunities. Some of EI's traffic into LHR might be of interest to IAG.
Second EI's financial record is at best mediocre. In such a situation how can any IAG investment into such a carrier possibly be the best use of any investment funds they might have available?
Third IMHO no sound business case can be made for investing into EI while they have such a massive pension defecit. IMHO in order for the Irish government to sell their present stake in this very weak business that is close to being a walking corpse they must make up the pension defecit first.If they do that they will make a loss of about £300 million euros on the sale of their shares.
Fourth no other shareholder has the willingness to make up that defecit. RYR and the staff holdings will certianly not do that.
Fifth. Operations through DUB are horrendously expensive. NO ONE WILL BE INTERESTED IN BUYING EVEN ONE SHARE IN EI until the Irish government cuts the cost of flying through DUB.
Sixth why should anyone buy into such a company when their immediate competitor is both the largest passenger volume airline in Europe and the most ruthless competitor? To expect any such investment is like asking a mouse why it mignt like sleep next to an elephant that can crush it at any moment?

NorthernCounties
20th Sep 2011, 20:33
IMHO, stop using IMHO. But imho the situation isn't as bad as you make out, after all BA only operate from one main hub, just like aer lingus. Thats wad iags business model is based upon.

Jamie2k9
28th Sep 2011, 19:12
Aer Lingus due to have Wi-Fi on A330 fleet and pre order hot food meals in 2012. They also expect to have more partnership agreements.

In a trading update today.
Passenger numbers up 1.4% in key summer months and yields up 4.6% in July and August. Ancillary revenue up 5.1% and expect further growth next year.

Aer Lingus CEO wants the 25% stake sold to a institutional investor and not a airline group.

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Sep 2011, 19:28
CEO also said that EI want to buy more slots at LHR. They already dropped the fourth daily BFS - LHR flight for 2012 and plan to use it from DUB but they want more slots to operate more LHR flights. Its about 13 flights daily now.

CaptJ
29th Sep 2011, 23:14
If IE had wanted extra LHR slots they have been recently available and IE didn't buy them (Or couldn't afford them).

Just a spotter
30th Sep 2011, 09:39
Didn't EI lease some LHR pairs to CO on a three year deal in 2008?

JAS

Jamie2k9
4th Oct 2011, 23:36
EI/UA IAD - MAD drops to 4 weekly this winter from daily last winter.

Aer Lingus is in the top 5 airlines in the world for best economy airline. The only European airline in the top 5. Guardian travel awards 2011.

Travel Awards 2011 winners | Travel | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/sep/30/travel-awards-2011-winners)

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Oct 2011, 21:00
September passengers up 2.9%
LF increased.
EI regional up 44.9%

Aer Lingus September passenger numbers rise - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1007/aerlingus-business.html)

Cyrano
9th Oct 2011, 21:04
EI/UA IAD - MAD drops to 4 weekly this winter from daily last winter.

So the aircraft will be sitting on the ground for 3 days a week at one end or another? Or will it be positioning back and forth into the rest of the network through DUB or JFK?

DollarBill
10th Oct 2011, 17:29
@CaptJ: EI have over E300M available in their cash pile, I think they could have bought slots if they wanted them.

racedo
10th Oct 2011, 18:25
EI have over E300M available in their cash pile, I think they could have bought slots if they wanted them.

That cash pile disappears fast when you make losses and pay employees taxes.

Jamie2k9
13th Oct 2011, 23:15
Another one of the A319 arrived from MAD this evening. (EI-ETG)

LD12986
16th Oct 2011, 21:56
Etihad in talks to buy Aer Lingus stake - FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e4ff4a24-f7f5-11e0-a419-00144feab49a.html)

Etihad, the fast-growing Middle Eastern airline, has approached the Irish government to buy its 25 per cent stake in flag-carrier Aer Lingus, people with knowledge of the move said.

The approach comes after the debt-laden Irish sovereign said in September it would sell its stake in the national carrier. Leo Varadkar, Ireland’s transport minister, said that he would not sell it for less than €1 per share, which would value the stake at €132.4m ($183m) and the airline at €529.6m.

Aer Lingus shares closed at €0.64 on Friday, valuing the airline at €338.94m and the government stake at €84.7m.

It is unclear how far talks have progressed and they might not result in any deal. Etihad and the Irish government declined to comment. Analysts believe that the most likely buyer of the airline is International Airlines Group, the parent company of British Airways.

airbourne
17th Oct 2011, 12:14
Aer Lingus are the 4th largest holder of Heathrow landing slots.

How many do they have and did the sell or lease Continental slots in 2008. What is the current value of those slots at the moment?

dubh12000
17th Oct 2011, 12:21
Credit Suisse reckon that BA paid over 100M Euro for the 6 BMI slots they bought last month.

I think Aer Lingus "own" 23 slots.

j636
17th Oct 2011, 16:05
Tranpost Ministor said today that:

clauses may be introduced that would ensure the retention of Aer Lingus' valuable Heathrow slots for access to Irish airports.

MCDU2
18th Oct 2011, 06:41
The government can say what they like and try and insert whatever clauses they want but once the shares are sold they lose all control over those slots. Those statements and sentiments are just for publicity sake.

500 quid fares to London will be back, only this time you won't be flying to LHR as all of the slots will be used for sunnier climes. And don't think that someone like BMI will hop onto the route as IAG will have taken their slots and will have very little interest in flying a 320 into Ireland when there are much more profitable routes on offer.

PPRuNeUser0176
19th Oct 2011, 11:51
Aer Lingus announced today that it will add an extra 14 weekly flights each way between DUB - LGW from 30 Oct. This will bring the service to 6 daily flights up from 4 daily last winter.

ayroplain
22nd Oct 2011, 00:43
Aer Lingus announced today that it will add an extra 14 weekly flights each way between DUB - LGW from 30 Oct. This will bring the service to 6 daily flights up from 4 daily last winter.
Strange, though, that the last flight to DUB is 18.50. Is there no market for a later flight than that bearing in mind it is London we are talking about?

PPRuNeUser0176
23rd Oct 2011, 10:44
Etihad's move on Aer Lingus is no done deal, should US object - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/etihads-move-on-aer-lingus-is-no-done-deal-should-us-object-2914348.html)

JSCL
23rd Oct 2011, 10:54
Okay so I'm in Tokyo - do I:

A) HND >> AUH >> SNN/DUB >> JFK
OR
B) HND >> LAX >> JFK

You tell me.... it's a stupid idea. They would end up losing a LOT of traffic who are crossing that way in flight time. It'd probably be more time efficient to travel through someone like Qatar or Emirates:
HND>> HUB AIRPORT >> JFK

The time saved going through Ireland on these intl flights is not worth it given the time lost in the air.

akerosid
23rd Oct 2011, 11:06
I read that article and it's not the most intelligent piece of writing. So, just because EY will be sending pax via DUB onto EI flights, the US suddenly gets a power of veto? Come on!

As for Japan, I doubt if that's the target market; I think they're probably looking much more at India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and the M/E generally. There's enough potential traffic to make it worthwhile.

JSCL
23rd Oct 2011, 11:10
I'd love to see the potential flight times though. It's still going to be possible to fly possibly SIN >> JFK and avoid the extra time on the ground or possibly even SYD >> JFK - or to any other US destination. I'm not too sure EI has strong enough footing for a transatlantic boom. If it was a more viable option - we'd be seeing far more BA etc flights going LHR >> Ireland >> USA - but we don't.

The time lost on the ground is going to be too long for a widebody landining in e.g. SNN which will have, to be blunt, some people which will be having 'random immigration checks' and so much more - it clogs the whole system up. May as well as just dump them in JFK straight off and let the USA deal with them there and then rather than a hub airport where you are based at and they will just throw the pax right back at you.

TartinTon
23rd Oct 2011, 17:38
Looks like LGWAGP bites the dust from 09Jan2012. Low fares available up to that date, after that all fares showing £200+. Not a surprise given the competition on the route.

Shamrock350
23rd Oct 2011, 17:43
Noticed that myself when checking fares for next year. Increasing fares to £200+ was a similar tactic they used when closing the other routes, I remember easyJet ran adverts in newspapers pointing out the high fares only for Aer Lingus to go and announce the ending of those routes the next day.

Not exactly a surprise either way, it's lasted longer than I thought actually.

PPRuNeUser0176
23rd Oct 2011, 21:27
The A320 that operates the 3 daily LGW - AGP is moving to DUB in March. People have said the base is closing then to but there is one aircraft confirmed by EI moving to DUB.

If it does close and EI wanted to keep NOC, ORK they could do a W from DUB. Thats the way they are doing LGW-ORK this winter.

Jamie2k9
23rd Oct 2011, 22:15
Posted on Dublin page also:

It looks very lightly that EI will handle EK.

It is also expected that the handling agreement will be unveiled as a codeshare for EK flights which would be great for EI.

Discussions have definitely taken place between EI and EK in regard to the handling contract. An announcement is due by the end of the month. Weather it happens this week or next is the next question.

EI have said recently they want to have code share flights to Middle East/Asia.

All from a few EI ground crew.

As for LGW the base is most lightly loss makeing and its about time EI do close it.

EI-A330-300
26th Oct 2011, 19:05
Aer Lingus have finally decided to add extra flights to sun spots for Christmas because of high demand.

DUB - TFS - 21 & 28 Dec, 4 Jan (regular Tue, Thur, Sat also operate)

DUB - ACE - 22 & 27 Dec, 3 Jan (regular Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat also operate)
on sale tomorrow

DUB - LPA - TBC

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Oct 2011, 20:09
Aer Lingus keeping there 3 A321's for next summer season.

shamrock7seal
28th Oct 2011, 01:57
Will Aer Lingus ever serve BOH from DUB?

Shamrock350
28th Oct 2011, 07:11
Not a chance with their own metal, the A320s are just too large an aircraft for the route and Aer Lingus would struggle to fill it profitably. Aer Lingus Regional operated by Aer Arann ATRs are the best bet for a BOH route.

Steviec9
28th Oct 2011, 07:41
If (and I'm speculating) the LGW base does close and the aircraft are re-based at DUB, is there a real possibility of W rotations to keep NOC and ORK served from LGW? What about the possibility of a W rotation to SNN, where judging by loads on all London flights (EI and FR), there is sufficient demand if the timings are right ( ie not crack of dawn inbound to LGW like the ill fated and short lived LGW-SNN EI service earlier this year)?

missterrible
28th Oct 2011, 17:11
Is there a megalomaniac about to get his comeuppance?

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Oct 2011, 20:47
Posted on Dublin page also:

It looks very lightly that EI will handle EK.

It is also expected that the handling agreement will be unveiled as a codeshare for EK flights which would be great for EI.

Discussions have definitely taken place between EI and EK in regard to the handling contract. An announcement is due by the end of the month. Weather it happens this week or next is the next question.

EI have said recently they want to have code share flights to Middle East/Asia.

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/ittn_ie/status/129851298693648384)

EK to codeshare with EI. Link not working after the tweet but it wouldn't be tweeted if not true

(auto spel changing words)

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Nov 2011, 23:23
When with EI regional on Tueday DUB - BRS and was shocked with the load factors on the routes even though Ryanair are operating it.

6.40 departure to BRS 99% full
17.35 departure to DUB 85$ full
Was expecting a lot lower LF.

4 passengers who connected from JFK. I didn't think that they would have such high load factors.

Jamie2k9
3rd Nov 2011, 01:27
LGW - AGP dropped from 8 Jan flights no longer bookable.

j636
3rd Nov 2011, 12:17
Aer Lingus Q3 profits and revenues rise - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1103/aerlingus-business.html)

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Nov 2011, 17:06
Aer Linugs LGW base is one aircraft for summer 2012.

LGW-DUB-LGW-NOC-LGW-ORK-LGW-DUB-LGW daily

Dublin increases to 6 daily everyday except Saturday when 4 daily. DUB aircraft operate the rest of LGW -DUB flights.

wxjedi
3rd Nov 2011, 20:37
So what happens all the crew over there now?

Tom

jdcg
5th Nov 2011, 17:01
With IAG thwarting VS and buying BD and presumably having to withdraw from the EI codeshare to / from Belfast and Dublin, could EI make an appropriate (merger?) partner for Virgin? VS to take over all long haul with EI feed to their main hub at LHR from DUB, SNN, ORK & BFS and feeding into a secondary hub at DUB from all their European routes? All EI long haul destinations are well-establised VS destinations and thus could benefit from VS marketing power and VS has much more status as a long haul airline anyway.
It would be a bit of consolation prize for VS in contrast to BD but perhaps more feasible with the addition of Etihad financial muscle?
You wouldn't even have to have a merged brand I suspect.

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2011, 17:13
with the addition of Teahid financial muscle?

You mean 'Etihad nifancial sumcle surely.....WHY oh WHY do we keep seeing Teahid? The name of that airline keeps being re-spelled on pprune everytime. I have to force it with a leading apostrophe to make it spell correctly.

Faire d'income
5th Nov 2011, 19:39
jdcg EI long haul routes are a lot better established with the 44 million Irish Americans market than VS could ever hope for. Dropping that brand would be insane.

EI-BUD
5th Nov 2011, 20:02
presumably having to withdraw from the EI codeshare to / from Belfast and Dublin

jdcg; this is the most absurd presumption. BA are very happy with the level of feed from EI via LHR from DUB, ORK, SNN and BFS, why on earth would they want to withdraw from the codeshare with EI. Even if they do choose to operate on DUB & BHD to LHR?

They cooperated when they were on DUB LHR and they still cooperate today. If BA do opt to fly to Dublin or Belfast City post bmi, they still will probably have 4 or at most 5 rotations a day and EI in the case of DUB will have a lot more, hence potential to feed BA LHR network.

BA have axed LHRDUB in March 1991, and then in recent years axed LGWDUB and LCYDUB was abandoned mid season as it was a disaster. I cant see them touching DUB.

StephenM_SMC
5th Nov 2011, 20:54
Skipness, have a search around, there as an explanation about Etihad's spelling on this forum recently enough.

jdcg
5th Nov 2011, 21:51
Oh ok, I hadn't realised quite how strong a brand Aer Lingus might be in the States.
As to the EI codeshare on DUB / BFS, I'm only assuming they'd have to withdraw from it out of competition concerns as with the purchase of BD they'd have a total monopoly on Belfast / Dublin to LHR flights - which surely would draw the attention of the regulators. I'm sure they don't want to withdraw.

MCDU2
6th Nov 2011, 08:54
I'm only assuming they'd have to withdraw from it out of competition concerns as with the purchase of BD they'd have a total monopoly on Belfast / Dublin to LHR flights - which surely would draw the attention of the regulators

A quick check of the BMI website has them flying to over 20 countries. You have an issue with them on 2 routes to 2 different countries. We also have no idea how much profit is attributable to those routes when compared to their entire network. Small fry I would say for a regulator. The bigger issue would be the total share of slots at LHR post merger compared to their nearest competitor. But lets face it there are much smarter people than us who would have crunched the numbers and have the responses ready the regulator. If they didn't then they wouldn't have wasted the time and effort on putting in a bid in the first place.

racedo
6th Nov 2011, 21:20
jdcg EI long haul routes are a lot better established with the 44 million Irish Americans market than VS could ever hope for. Dropping that brand would be insane.

This oft quoted 44 million is a misnomer as you will find this 44 million also includes many who can trace Italian / German / British / Scandanavian etc as part of the same heritage.

EI Longhaul in 2011 will carry way less than 1 million passengers so even taking a 50-50 split between Irish originating passengers and US ones they are carrying 1% of the supposed Irish Americans or roughly 9,000 a week.

In 2010 2.5 Million passengers used LHR-JFK and I don't see BA boasting of it.

Aer Lingus in the US is an Airline with services to Ireland and anybody relying on anything more than that.

If there was a brand that strong then Conti and others would struggle to get a look in.

Faire d'income
7th Nov 2011, 09:39
Racedo, you have been quiet since your prediction that Aer Lingus would run out of cash suffered a hull loss.

41 million US citizens claim their primary ethnicity is Irish. US census 2000.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Nov 2011, 16:03
EI 907,000 passengers down 0.1%
EI Regional 69,000 passengers up 30%
Together passengers up 1.6% over October 2010

Short Haul - 831,000 passengers - no change
Lond Haul - 76,000 passengers - down 1.3

LF increased by 2.1% to 78.5%

Short Haul - increased to 81% - capacity increased by 0.8%
Long Haul - increased to 73.5% - capacity decreased by 3.9%

clareview
7th Nov 2011, 17:56
the old saying is 40m americans are of irish decent and 60M americans think they are one of them

racedo
7th Nov 2011, 20:56
Racedo, you have been quiet since your prediction that Aer Lingus would run out of cash suffered a hull loss.

Nope I haven't been.

Perhaps you should read their own financial statements to find out where all the money has gone.

Bases and routes opened and cancelled, staff taxes paid for them, massive redundancies, losses paid for by using up shareholders cash etc etc... Goodbye half a billion.

And for what ?
How much has actually being spent building something ?
How many new as distinct from pre owned aircraft have they used to build the business ?

Aer Lingus has made up strategy after strategy and all of them have left them in a worse position than before.

As for the US market, whether its 40, 60 or 100 million people, the facts remain that less than half a million people use them from the US across the Atlantic each year so the idea that Virgin buying them would destroy something is kinda laughable.

PPRuNeUser0176
10th Nov 2011, 18:28
Reports else where that EI are looking at resuming flights to Toronto. Odd choise as TS and AC operate it seasonaly.

Don't see it myself but anyone else heard anything.

Does anybody know if there are plans to have any new short haul routes next summer.

11th Nov 2011, 09:46
Did they ever fly to Toronto?

I thought Montreal was the only destination they had ever served.

Where it might make sense is if combined with a US West Coast route so that they would be less restricted by aircraft type and load. But they're not going to pick up many passengers in Toronto and with the competitition to Toronto, it will be challenging for the Dublin-Toronto part, so it would seem a strange choice.

In some ways, if returning to Canada, Montreal might make more sense.

CabinCrewe
11th Nov 2011, 10:14
Their last flights to Canada were in early 80's -707s routing Dublin Chicago Montreal

BHD2BFS
11th Nov 2011, 11:07
Maybe they should try bfs to Toronto, no competition up north and atleast our APD is lower now ( I know not as low as Dublin)

davidjohnson6
11th Nov 2011, 16:59
Ryanair are trying to call an EGM of Aer Lingus shareholders. Aer Lingus are turning the request down. It's descended into each side releasing to public view the letters they are sending each other as to why an EGM should or shouldn't be granted. Is this just a case of MOL tryi.g to cause trouble or is there some motion that could reasonably be addressed and that would have a non trivial impact ? If anyone is familiar with Irish company law, would be interested to hear their opinion as to the whole episode

racedo
11th Nov 2011, 17:32
Ryanair are trying to call an EGM of Aer Lingus shareholders. Aer Lingus are turning the request down. It's descended into each side releasing to public view the letters they are sending each other as to why an EGM should or shouldn't be granted. Is this just a case of MOL tryi.g to cause trouble or is there some motion that could reasonably be addressed and that would have a non trivial impact ? If anyone is familiar with Irish company law, would be interested to hear their opinion as to the whole episode

Think the law is similar for listed companies everywhere in that shareholders can request an EGM and management can refuse one.

PPRuNeUser0176
16th Nov 2011, 18:46
Passengers adopt crash position as jet diverted - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie (http://www.herald.ie/news/passengers-adopt-crash-position-as-jet-diverted-2936450.html)

waffler
17th Nov 2011, 11:30
New routes for Aer Lingus next year just announced.
Dub to Stockholm, Verona and Maastricht.
Ork to Frankfurt.
Hot off the press.

Jack1985
17th Nov 2011, 12:38
Ork to Frankfurt.
Hot off the press.

Where has this been announced? have to say Maastricht is a suprise to a lessor extent Verona too. Delighted to hear about Stockholm and Cork to Frankfurt though!

Jamie2k9
17th Nov 2011, 16:05
They have FR to compete with as they announced Verona today.

racedo
17th Nov 2011, 18:59
Wonder who blinks first.

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Nov 2011, 19:06
Aer Lingus will most lightly sell seats to a tour operator which will help them but it just happoned that both were announced on the same day. Would expect EI to follow FR with a 3 weekly service but EI would be first to drop it before FR.

airnoc
18th Nov 2011, 21:11
Noc to Lgw
Why does a sold out flight not operate as in the case on noc/lgw was trying to book from tomorrow at short notice and back on tues and can not travel

irish lad
18th Nov 2011, 21:59
Anyone know does aerlingus/ aerlingus regional accept dogs for transport?

Jamie2k9
18th Nov 2011, 22:48
Aer Lingus are not operating it on those two days.

PPRuNeUser0176
20th Nov 2011, 12:29
2 A319 will replace 2 A320 and the other 2 A319 due to be used for expanction. The two leaving will be the older A320's.

Jack1985
20th Nov 2011, 12:52
EI-CVA, EI-CVB most likely to leave. So i hear two A319 will be BFS based, i assume the other 2 A319 will be ex DUB?

EISNN
21st Nov 2011, 01:04
Would the 319's necessarily go to DUB? Maybe ORK or SNN with increased capacity on a W route that is currently operated by EI Regional? BHX/GLA/MAN??? I'm speculating of course. EI Regional aircraft could possibly be used then on introducing a new route or a route that's proving to more suitable to a ATR72 with more frequency on the same said route. I'd imagine that with the introduction of four 319's to their fleet they're planning clever - they have to. The A319's are ideal for an airline like Aer Lingus where there's a great network offered (if anyone remembers what EI offered 15+ years ago you'll know what I mean). Thing is that for both FR and EI some destinations EX DUB can't be making much of a profit if at all. EI are putting themselves in an ideal place where with the planning of EI Regional and the 319's gives them an opportunity to put themselves in a better (read 'profitable') place for a thin/competitive route market and therefore giving more frequency and price to their customers/potential customers. Next summer could prove to be a good fight for routes ex BFS, DUB, ORK and SNN. Great for us the punter.

That said ....... watch this space ......

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

PS is it true that EI may claim back the title of largest operator (passenger wise) in DUB for 2011? If so what routes are FR falling back on, dropped or losing passengers on? or is it that they've reduced their operations ex DUB during the entire year/Summer '11 in comparison to Summer 2010? Are there stats/figures that are available that we could see that sees which airline is doing better on passenger load wise?

racedo
21st Nov 2011, 20:13
PS is it true that EI may claim back the title of largest operator (passenger wise) in DUB for 2011?

And that wins you what ?

Bearcat
21st Nov 2011, 20:24
economics re supply/demand have lead FR elsewhere so EINs winning on the no's means sfa.

brian_dromey
21st Nov 2011, 20:40
Maybe it means SFA, and for sure if FR decided they could ramp up capacity at DUB so fast it would make EI's eyes water and ruin their forward planning. That said, FR had many chances to kill off EI, yet have not managed/bothered to. EI have been quite lucky, in that ORK and DUB have been left largely untouched and FR retreated from Belfast. Im not sure what happened at LGW, it all seemed to be going roughly to plan, then it was killed (I have heard whisperings of a loose cannon with a big ego running riot over a short period and sealing the fate of LGW - don't know how true that is)

It is important for EI to be the biggest player at it's home airports, if for show and for the benefit of the analysts, if nothing else.

Jamie2k9
21st Nov 2011, 23:29
Over the summer season Mar - Oct Aer Lingus had the most aircraft movements and seats available from Dublin.

38.75% of movements
41.09% of seats

They are ahead of Ryanair by 1.9% in terms of seats available.

Have we a date for the new EI routes going on sale?

no slot
22nd Nov 2011, 08:28
Bearcat, supply and demand? Get real, supply and demand have lead Ryanair to ground 70/80 aircraft for the winter. Why don't they use these aircraft to kill off EI? Or do you believe its genius to borrow millions for non performing assets while you allow them to depreciate while spending money maintaining and parking them?

Brian, AL are lucky? Yea, you're absolutely right, there lucky they're not expanding in a contracting market ( that continues to burn while the eurocrats dither ). Or maybe luck is to do with hard work and 75 years of experience.

Is it not about time we get over this Ryan v EI BS. Both companies are making money and are Irish. Both have skeletons in their closest and both have made some bizarre business decisions over the years. Hers the good news, they're both Irish and are still here serving our little island in a time when airlines are falling weekly.

Good luck to them both.
Dry your eyes lads, leave the mines bigger than yours for some other aspect of your lives.

Bearcat
22nd Nov 2011, 11:02
No slot, you have just answered your own question re the economics conundrum:ok:

no slot
22nd Nov 2011, 12:06
It just gets better.:ugh:
G'luck
Over and Out.

mart901
24th Nov 2011, 23:46
Is it possible the cash strapped punter has had enough of being treated like rubbish by Ryanair, fed up of being made to queue up before their aircraft has even landed, then checked for oversize baggage and possibly charged more than the price of the flight for the audacity to buy a bottle or two in duty free, then rambled at in broken english for every possible moment about smokefree cigarettes, scratchcards, instant coffee at 3euro a time and on and on by someone who has had to buy their uniform, pay for training and will probably be let go before 12 months are out? I think given that research is saying people still want their main holiday but are doing away with all the whimsical type breaks, they may very well have burnt out of enthusiasm for Ryanair and maybe thats why they are paring back? Surely they would be in their like wild dogs if the demand was.

racedo
25th Nov 2011, 10:11
Racedo, make sure you tell your boss that when he blames airport charges as the reason he is dropping flights and pulling out of airports. Waffler

WTF would my boss be interested in what is happening at Dublin Airport ?

Oh you trying the old crap of I must work for FR............blah blah bloody blah

That one was false the 1st time it was written and remains so.............do keep up.

Jack1985
25th Nov 2011, 13:21
Lets see Ireland is in massive recession, with massive unemployment and cutbacks still occuring, property down by 50-60% from peak and many people struggling just to pay mortgages and live

14% unemployment (-v- 20% in Spain), Ireland still has one of the highest GDP per capita with an average of $45,688. Cutbacks in the right area's which should have been done years ago, be carefull in suggesting all property is down by ''50-60%'' when that only accurred in towns such as Adamstown etc.. most citys lost between 20-30% relative to the UK during late 2008 i might add. 300,000 to 350,000 are in negative equity, with an estimated 20,000 to 35,000 struggling to pay mortgages, struggling to live is a MASSIVE overstatement something which i would come to expect from a non-national, with one of the highest doll payments in Europe defaulting on the breadline is rare and those people are looked after by different ngo's. Be carefull the next time you splash out the facts you think you know the next time racedo.

racedo
25th Nov 2011, 16:46
Is it possible.................etc etc etc

Lets see Ireland is in massive recession, with massive unemployment and cutbacks still occuring, property down by 50-60% from peak and many people struggling just to pay mortgages and live.

But let us ignore all that and go on your supposition:ugh::ugh:

waffler
25th Nov 2011, 18:09
Racedo, make sure you tell your boss that when he blames airport charges as the reason he is dropping flights and pulling out of airports.

ryan2000
26th Nov 2011, 04:53
Flying is still far cheaper relatively speakng than it was in the 1980's. The fact is that the numbers travelling through Cork and Dublin are very similar to the figures for 2004 when we were in a so called boom.

Of course the massive investment in the new terminal at Cork and T2 in Dublin was based on projections for massive growth which never materialised. I still think that there's too much emphasis on sun routes and that airlines should be more innovative.

mart901
26th Nov 2011, 11:21
People are still travelling though despite all being on the breadline??

Shamrogue
26th Nov 2011, 11:46
Jack I agree,

Ireland is far from gone down the pan. As Europeans countries begin to open their hands you see that Ireland was simply the first to show it's debts.

Certain part of the economy are under pressure. But they were under pressure along time ago - they just managed to get some class of work. People are still getting jobs, I have friends who were either let go or moved jobs and had no difficulty getting a job. Yes of course there are those who struggle. BUT, 85% of the population is still working. A decent portion of those are earing decent enough a wage. The tightening is taking some of the greed out of the system. If you compare a basket of groceries you'll still see the UK can be cheaper than us. So, more price cuts need to come. We've got to cut deeper and people simply have to work for a living. The expectation of earning €1000.00 a week for laying 10 blocks or doing a half days work needs to be moved on. Again yes of course there are those who work hard and always work hard. But there are those who wouldn't know a hard days work if it hit them on the head.

Now as a business owner, yes the banking regime is tough, but straight - ie if you want a mortgage - here's the criteria - not rocket science and providing you meet the criteria you get your mortgage. Purchasing property is now do-able - I couldn't think of buying last year - but I will this year. Oddly I'm taking on staff etc etc. So look, we're getting more compeditive, we're working harder, all we need now is the football team to do the business and we're on the pigs back.

Regards
Shamrogue

PS - I could put a lot more teeth on this argument but really couldn't be bothered - work to do

mutt
26th Nov 2011, 12:01
Shamrogue, the CSO shows the 2011 population at 4.58 million, 1.82 million are working, 304,000 are not working. So that's 39% of the population are working, not 85%.

Its also worth noting that 1.3 million are not in the labor force, and about 1.3 million are under the age of 15.

That's quite a small working population to finance the required repayments :{:{

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Budget.

Mutt

(This should be message 236, following Shamrogues....)

racedo
26th Nov 2011, 15:27
14% unemployment (-v- 20% in Spain), Ireland still has one of the highest GDP per capita with an average of $45,688. Cutbacks in the right area's which should have been done years ago, be carefull in suggesting all property is down by ''50-60%'' when that only accurred in towns such as Adamstown etc.. most citys lost between 20-30% relative to the UK during late 2008 i might add. 300,000 to 350,000 are in negative equity, with an estimated 20,000 to 35,000 struggling to pay mortgages, struggling to live is a MASSIVE overstatement something which i would come to expect from a non-national, with one of the highest doll payments in Europe defaulting on the breadline is rare and those people are looked after by different ngo's. Be carefull the next time you splash out the facts you think you know the next time racedo.

GDP per capita mean jack sugar as you can't spend it and quite a significant proprtion of Irish GDP is as a result of the Irish Govt policy to attract FDI and setting up of Headquarters in Ireland.

As for Spanish Unemployment the historic rate over last 25 years has rarely been less than 10% and never below 8% for any period of time so comparing a rise from 8% to 20% against a rise in Ireland from 4% to 14 % is way different.

As for 300-350k in negative equity that is a massive proportion of housing stock.

There is also a significant difference between the 2 countries as there is not a significant number of Spanish people as a proprtion of the total population who fly abroad V Ireland as inbound tourism is the norm in Spain.

I go on Irish CSO stats on house prices which show that on their index in 2007 was 130 now its 71 or a fall of 55%, so much for the small drop in Adamstown :rolleyes:.
As for UK prices, well as use property investment as a way to ensure I will have a decent pension when I retire I can assure you that 55% decline in UK not an average nor anywhere even close....................wish it was as buy regularly. Nationwide HPI show 11% from 2007 to 2011, some regions a bit higher .

If Ireland was doing so well then IMF wouldn't be a regular visitor each month.

racedo
26th Nov 2011, 15:30
BUT, 85% of the population is still working.

You mean 85% of those declaring themselves available for work, ignoring those who have already upped sticks and left to the far flung corners of the world.

Jack1985
26th Nov 2011, 16:18
racedo what can i say about you really :mad: pure fool is about it. GDP per capita mean jack sugar as you can't spend it and quite a significant proprtion of Irish GDP is as a result of the Irish Govt policy to attract FDI and setting up of Headquarters in Ireland. Oh really thats why Dublin City changed from one of Europe's biggest slums to one of Europe's most wealthiest citys, poverty in Ireland fell to europe's second lowest after Monaco (HDI of 7th in the World) at one point, and you say GDP means ''jack sugar'' great use of my name there too racoon. Irish Jobs are being created, Debt will stop increasing in 2012, and then begin its long awaited fall.

If Ireland was doing so well then IMF wouldn't be a regular visitor each month.

Another buffoon statement, they visit every month (and have to under IMF conditions as per every country example the UK IMF bailout in 1976) to maintain our continuing success beating targets each month. The IMF have said visting Ireland has been different to anywhere else, the meetings are purley growth driven, the people welcome them, the people dont revolt, they speak at the ballot box, of those who do are in Sinn Fein and most from the radical left, the Irish were beaten and will pay for years to come. Dublin, Cork & Knock will increase passenger numbers next year versus 2011. The Irish although reckless were lead by a Property driven growth Government and this brought us to 30th September 2008, and the humiliating date of 14th of November 2010. But then again unlike the UK my people dont loot shops, destroy business, mug students and the general public because of an arrogance of social neglect, we united and thrive to find the best solution, the main reason Cameron and his Government attributed funds to the Irish-EU-IMF bailout, they will get it back with all the extra intrest. So Racedo do us all a favour and receed, it easy to tipe big words from behind a computer but a lot different in Public. Now i hope this thread is closed because its totally of topic and has become Political no doubt due to the wonderful contribution by racedo, which i will most likely see responding in the normal childish way i come to expect from an inept person.

j636
26th Nov 2011, 16:24
Getting a little off topic....

Ork to Frankfurt.
Hot off the press.

Dublin - Stockholm & Maastricht will be 4 weekly
Dublin - Verona & Cork - Frankfurt will be 3 weekly

Jack1985
26th Nov 2011, 16:28
Dublin - Stockholm & Maastricht will be 4 weekly
Dublin - Verona & Cork - Frankfurt will be 3 weekly

Hi j636, these will be released for sale Monday i assume? great to see 3 inbound tourism routes being announced.

j636
26th Nov 2011, 16:32
Have no idea when they will be on sale but would expect it to be soon. Read it somewhere thats going to be the frequency.

Also Thomas Cook Ireland due to use there French flights next summer. (Nice, Lyon, Paris, Boradeux) as they are selling hoildays to France.

Jack1985
26th Nov 2011, 16:33
Have no idea when they will be on sale but would expect it to be soon. Read it somewhere thats going to be the frequency.

Thanks for that :ok:

Shamrogue
26th Nov 2011, 16:38
I won't labour this.

Looking at the UK, only this week, the boys at the top announced sorting the budget deficit as being more difficult than they ever planned. UK house holders are under pressure too.
Our IMF mire wwas partially created by the delightful banking fraternity - amongst others. Again back to "greed". WIth the average punter rowing in far deeper than they've ever done. You don't have to look too far back to see London houses selling for £35,000! And yes I bought one so go figure.
Booms and busts happen for economies all the time. Currently we're in the bust phase, looking at country spreadsheets in Europe - there well could be a few more.

It's more a case of get on with and stop wasting time on this rubbish. Look down your noses all you want. Most of us care not a jot. We'll get on with it anyways.

Chow for now.
Shamrogue

racedo
27th Nov 2011, 18:33
Oh really thats why Dublin City changed from one of Europe's biggest slums to one of Europe's most wealthiest citys, poverty in Ireland fell to europe's second lowest after Monaco (HDI of 7th in the World) at one point, and you say GDP means ''jack sugar'' great use of my name there too racoon. Irish Jobs are being created, Debt will stop increasing in 2012, and then begin its long awaited fall.

Right which is why centre of city is split between the places with security gates and entrances and the other places where local authority tenants reside. Noticeable that the native Irish have moved out of many areas of the city.

Debt will not stop increasing as a €21 billion budget deficit doesn't disappear and has to be funded. Even the cuts announced next week will not balance the budget.

For a debt to fall it has to be repaid and there is no way Ireland can afford to repay its debts.

Another buffoon statement, they visit every month (and have to under IMF conditions as per every country example the UK IMF bailout in 1976) to maintain our continuing success beating targets each month. The IMF have said visting Ireland has been different to anywhere else, the meetings are purley growth driven, the people welcome them, the people dont revolt, they speak at the ballot box, of those who do are in Sinn Fein and most from the radical left, the Irish were beaten and will pay for years to come. Dublin, Cork & Knock will increase passenger numbers next year versus 2011. The Irish although reckless were lead by a Property driven growth Government and this brought us to 30th September 2008, and the humiliating date of 14th of November 2010. But then again unlike the UK my people dont loot shops, destroy business, mug students and the general public because of an arrogance of social neglect, we united and thrive to find the best solution, the main reason Cameron and his Government attributed funds to the Irish-EU-IMF bailout, they will get it back with all the extra intrest. So Racedo do us all a favour and receed, it easy to tipe big words from behind a computer but a lot different in Public. Now i hope this thread is closed because its totally of topic and has become Political no doubt due to the wonderful contribution by racedo, which i will most likely see responding in the normal childish way i come to expect from an inept person.

Sorry mate you the one who has attempted to make it political and abusive not me.

Funny when your waffle statistics countered you go all indignant and righteous.

I'm no supporter of Cameron so care little of what is said about him or his ilk.

Going back to your attempted derailing with spurious statistics the level of consumer spend in Ireland declined by 10% in 2009, 1% in 2010 and is forecasted to decline by 2.5% in 2011 which is why airlines have removed, cancelled and changed routes out of Ireland.

mart901
28th Nov 2011, 22:32
There may be some truth in the fact recession is affecting airlines in Ireland but much of this sounds like diversion tactics to avoid the true point of the discussion which errupted regarding Ryanair no longer being the biggest carrier in Dublin. I think the question also has to be raised as to whether the routes they opened we're over ambitious? Also Ryanair is famous for expanding heavilly at airports then cutting right back or even leaving altogether in a corporate version of throwing their toys out of the pram, blaming landing fees, government taxes, government policies, in fact anything but their own failure, and then in many cases the airport comes crawling back - but in Dublin's case I think they are more knowledgeable of Ryanair as airports go than anywhere else and are not afraid to accuse them of hyperbole on the front of their website. Obviously recession affects consumer spending and habits, but market share is a totally different matter.

PPRuNeUser0176
3rd Dec 2011, 17:39
Aer Lingus launched a new in flight menu under sky deli on 1 December.

Also the trail of the premium economy meal on one of the JFK flights was a sucess and will be rolled out across all Long Haul flights early next year (Food options include stake/fish meal with bottle of wine)

airbourne
5th Dec 2011, 22:53
Put together by 2 employees of EI. Great video!!!

You are Aer Lingus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FoVu73SbM&feature=player_embedded#)!

justanotherloser
6th Dec 2011, 03:46
Never in all my life have Iheard such a load of **** being spouted about Ireland than by Racedo.

Really, what is the obsession with running down the country Racedo??

Shamrogue
6th Dec 2011, 06:28
Justanother,

A certain amount of Racedo's comments are indeed true. And not completely difficult to fathom.

Budget deficit will take until 2015 to sort - fine. In the meantime we'll have build debts of we'll say 100 Billion. Now considering the amount of cuts we've needed to get down to our current deficit and the amount more to come getting to the lovely place of being able to service and pay pack our loans on our own - well it's a fair distance off.
However, on a more positive note - we can at least see a light - ie it can be done. And no we don't have to print more money. One elephant in the room is as bad as we are I think the UK have their own serious austerity to get stuck into and they can't keep printing money. Of course they can choose to keep doing it and wheelbarrow sales will sky rocket - in order for them to pay for Mars Bars - they'll need wheelbarrows to cart around money.

Looking at Aer Lingus, you wonder, are we perhaps about to see Aer Lingus succeed more than ever? Away from political manipulation, away from subsidies and needing to do things both professionally and commercially.

Regards
Shamrogue

mart901
6th Dec 2011, 08:35
And the more debt a country is in, the more they can be pushed about by the EU and or IMF. On the same day Enda Kenny addresses the nation and says he want to bring sovereignty back to Ireland Sarkozy and Merkel are announcing their intention to sweep it further away! On the point of Aer Lingus, what happened to the new routes that we're to be announced;

MidlandDeltic
6th Dec 2011, 17:34
Budget deficit will take until 2015 to sort - fine

Think you are being optimistic there Shamrougue. Given the budget just announced, VAT and carbon tax increases sucking money out of the economy to the UK and elsewhere, I think revenues will be down next year. As someone who is now officially long term unemployed, and with few prosepcts on the horizon, my own view is that this country is in trouble for at least another 8-10 years - just like the 80s. Evidence - the protection of buy-to-let owners in the budget shows our political class have learned nothing.

Sorry for drifting off topic....:\

racedo
6th Dec 2011, 18:43
Never in all my life have Iheard such a load of **** being spouted about Ireland than by Racedo.

Really, what is the obsession with running down the country Racedo??

Right which is why your sole contribution to the debate is NOTHING.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Dec 2011, 17:46
November passengers up an impressive 8.8%, LF also increased.

EI Regional up 30% from 53,000 to 69,000
EI short haul up 7% from 653,000 to 699,000
EI long haul up 4.2% from 72,000 to 75,000

LF increased 3.1% to 75.4%

The October midterm a week lather helped but in general there would of being an increase.

Aer Lingus passenger numbers up in November - RT News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1207/aerlingus-business.html)

mart901
7th Dec 2011, 19:02
Yeah saw the good results, load factor up despite capacity increases.......oh and of course Ireland being on the breadline lol.

Papa2Charlie
7th Dec 2011, 19:56
Good to see the upward trend in numbers especially with the new yield management strategy in place.

On a separate point, the Aer Lingus Regional numbers look very good especially when compared to the previous year. Does anyone know how much additional capacity has been added since last year? Any ideas on next steps for the partnership?

Jack1985
7th Dec 2011, 20:27
Does anyone know how much additional capacity has been added since last year?

One extra A/C,

Winter - 2010:

DUB - 2 ATR72
ORK - 2 ATR72
SNN - 1 ATR72

Winter - 2011:

DUB - 3 ATR72
ORK - 2 ATR72
SNN - 1 ATR72

BHD2BFS
7th Dec 2011, 20:32
Just wondering if anyone had heard anymore news on Regional arriving at belfast to replace routes lost by BMI baby.
Also do EI plan to launch any new european routes for the summer? They dont seem to have done much up there recently.

Jamie2k9
7th Dec 2011, 22:13
Just wondering if anyone had heard anymore news on Regional arriving at belfast to replace routes lost by BMI baby.
Also do EI plan to launch any new european routes for the summer? They dont seem to have done much up there recently.

They have cut the base from 3 A320 to 1 A320 and 2 A319, can't see anything new coming.

Great set of Passenger numbers for November.