PDA

View Full Version : maternity programs for female pilots @ EK or QR

ANSALONI
2nd Aug 2011, 07:07
Hi,
I am a female pilot looking at a future with EK or QR. Any info on maternity programs since I am still young and would love to have kids in the future????

Jetaim
2nd Aug 2011, 16:24
My dear not such a thing in Middle Age.
Stay far away.

andorra2004
2nd Aug 2011, 18:14
It depends on the companies, but you can find in some Middle East airlines that your contract is finished if you are pregnant.

40&80
2nd Aug 2011, 20:47
Could be a good career move if it is the right man.

SassyPilotsWife
3rd Aug 2011, 05:16
Are they hiring female crew members ? Do they have any on board already?

Best of luck with that :)

If you do get on, and decide to get pregnant, make sure you're legally married ! The skies won't be so friendly for ya if you aren't and you deliver here.

saywhat
3rd Aug 2011, 12:00
A quote from the Employee manual.

"Maternity Leave (not applicable to Flight Crew and Cabin Crew)"

Perhaps they have a separate policy for flight crew and cabin crew, as there are cabin crew that get pregnant, have their children and return to work. I cannot find it though.

There are some woman pilots working at EK, but they are few and far between.

Hope this helps

Chow

Wizofoz
3rd Aug 2011, 12:19
EK employed it's first female pilot in 2006- She recently competed her Command upgrade on the 777. There is at least one other Lady Captain now, an I think it may be two.

I know of at least two Ladies who are here flying and are single Mothers.

No idea of total numbers, but my guess would be less than 100 out of the 2700 currently employed.

I don't think Maternity leave for Pilots has even been considered, but I guess they'll deal with it when it happens. The Cabin Crew get (I think) 6 weeks UNPAID Maternity leave, and I imagine Pilots would be similar.

No way would it be as generous as in Western countries, but neither can they afford to lose Pilots, so I'd be suprized if it wasn't accommodated.

Evanelpus
3rd Aug 2011, 15:08
I know of at least two Ladies who are here flying and are single Mothers.

Really? Wow, that's so progressive!

kotakota
3rd Aug 2011, 16:33
Join BA , they love to employ ladies who take the p**s , keep their seniority of course , and get commands after 5 years of breeding with barely 5000 hours total . Piece of piss , as I said earlier.
Sandpit ? forget it.

Flyer1015
3rd Aug 2011, 23:32
I remember during an EK roadshow somebody asked about a pregnant wife, and they were told that if you get hired and come to Dubai, your wife's medical would not cover "pre-existing conditions" and that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition. So stay in the US, get your kid born there, and then come to Dubai. Seemed a bit weird that a pregnancy/baby delivery would not be covered under a new insurance program.

Flyer1015
3rd Aug 2011, 23:33
If I get a flight attendant pregnant, do I get maternity leave?

SassyPilotsWife
4th Aug 2011, 01:30
If you work in the US you do. FMLA, up to 12 weeks. That should give you enough time to heal from the ass beating your wife gives you :p

Glad to know there is some Girl Power in the cockpit at EK :) :D

Wizofoz
4th Aug 2011, 03:21
I remember during an EK roadshow somebody asked about a pregnant wife, and they were told that if you get hired and come to Dubai, your wife's medical would not cover "pre-existing conditions" and that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition. So stay in the US, get your kid born there, and then come to Dubai. Seemed a bit weird that a pregnancy/baby delivery would not be covered under a new insurance program.

Only if she was pregnent at the time of joining.

After a qualifying period (six months I think) pregnency and delivery are covered under the company scheme.

Payscale
4th Aug 2011, 04:33
You guys are venting your suppressed EK frustrations on this female pilots question.
The answers to your questions is We Dont Know...
Cabin Crew get maternity leave. Which basically means unpaid leave until the baby is about 4 weeks old where they are expected to return on full flying duty.

There is no precedence with female pilots.

Non Zero
4th Aug 2011, 05:15
Cabin Crew get maternity leave. Which basically means unpaid leave until the baby is about 4 weeks old where they are expected to return on full flying duty.

Pretty much the same everywhere nowadays! Some of them provide the basic for the first 1 month, and half for the remaining other month. Unless of course there are complication ... but you'll never loose your job!

Poire
4th Aug 2011, 05:31
Emirates never thought about hiring female pilots until recently; let alone pregnant female pilots. To my knowledge, they don't have a policy for that. In their (EK) defense, though, I am sure they will accomodate preg fem pilots if it comes to that.
Obviously, as stated before, the lady in question would have to be legally married; otherwise, a trip to the Al Maktoun Bridge area would be in the cards :E