PDA

View Full Version : GNAV JAA ATPL help needed. Need info on FMS/INS/IRS

cefey
2nd Aug 2011, 01:50
Anyone know about any good sources/books where I can read more about this system?
I have 1 book (GNAV) from school, but would like to read more. I downloaded oxford book, but there was nothing on FMS.

And if any1 know, what kind of questions was added for green paper exam for GNAV?
For POF it was about 20 questions (half!) that I never seen before (I did go through whole bristol once) and 7 of them on stuff that was NOT covered by instructor/books we have:/ (CAA pr**ks!!!)

zondaracer
2nd Aug 2011, 06:26
The Bristol DVD has a whole interactive FMS with an instructional step-by-step tutorial for your computer.

Deano777
2nd Aug 2011, 11:10
CAA pr**ks?

Why? Because you actually have to do some study as opposed to a question learning exercise? Good on them.

sadashivpeth
2nd Aug 2011, 18:09
The GSP relating to Inst has a lot of material regarding this

cefey
2nd Aug 2011, 19:52
Deano777
You do know, assuming stuff is not good when you are pilot?
So why in earth do you assume that I did not study?
At school we had end of course, where in 3 EOC I avg 91%. School have their own questions, not bristol one. Then I studied for 1 more week.
Night before exam, I did 5 mock exams, with avg of 98%.
I can explain theory behind each question I do answer right.
I have cabair books, nordian atpl books, oxford books.
Now, on exam we got some graphs/diagrams, that is not in a single of those 3 books.
With other words, you have about 1min and 30 sec, to read the question, find the right annex, understand the graphs that you see first time in your life, understand completely what it represents and how to use it and then solve the question. For all that, you have 1.5 min!!! Question was marked as 1 (1 point for right answer!)
Im would easily bet 100£, that you would NOT be able to solve it in 1.5 min, unless you have seen that graph before, which is quite unlikely, and what is prob. the case of 99% of those who took the exam. And not because they did not study, but because those graphs is not in the books!!!

So, do they measure knowledge?! No, not at all. But hey, I totally to get those pr**s. 88£ for failing some1, by giving graphs like that, aint bad, is it?
If you multiply those 88£ by nr of people who took the exams (only in florida, its more then 120 each month!) - you get quite nice sum there. I rest my case - CAA pr**ks.

Tomorrow I have GNAV. I can do all calculations, I know flight comp. very well, I know most of theory behind magnetism, FMS etc. But it would not surprise me, if half of the questions on exam gonna be asking about tiny details about what rules apply to gregorian calendar, when there is a leap year, but it will be an ordinary year. Cause that is VERY relevant to being a pilot and GNAV? Or some minor details about remote reading compass, which is covered in 300page book, with 1 line?
Or what is Perigee? (wonder how many people, who is pilots here, actually do know that one, without googling it), do you, Deano777? :)

Anyhow, this thread is NOT about why CAA is what they are (I would love to discuss it with you in PM or other thread).

Thanks for those who answered on my question and I would love to hear some more replays!

shoeless
11th Jun 2012, 06:51
Jeez,relax Cefey!buzzkill....

FattyBarr
11th Jun 2012, 08:16
FMS/IRS etc under instruments now, no longer included in GNAV

Dick Whittingham
11th Jun 2012, 09:55
May I just point out that the "Bristol DVD" is issued by Bristol Ground School, while cefey's "bristol" questions are probably ATPLOnline, which is only a question bank and is a different company.

Dick

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
11th Jun 2012, 10:04
Assuming the uk CAA still use the 737-400 as the reference model, search for a 737 FCOM vol 2 systems. Lots of info there, including schematics for the air data system, FMC/IRS/Dual scanning DME updating.