PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Kid with a bright future in aviation

PyroTek
1st Aug 2011, 12:33
I just was linked to a news story on the ABC website about a boy in melbourne who is attempting to build his own aeroplane from scratch. I'm impressed at his dedication.

Boy with his head in the clouds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-01/refugee-builds-homemade-plane/2818326)

:ok:Pyro

Fred Gassit
1st Aug 2011, 12:36
Hope this kid gets all the encouragement he deserves

Boy with his head in the clouds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-01/refugee-builds-homemade-plane/2818326)

troppo
1st Aug 2011, 12:46
He might need a couple more horizontally opposed brush cutters to get off the ground.
Maybe a parachute as well.

jas24zzk
1st Aug 2011, 13:32
Dunno how he will go getting a permit to fly.. a lil too much duct tape for my liking.

Good on him tho, one must have a goal. :ok:

The story looks like one of those where somebody more affluent could donate him an hour in something a lil more substantial :)

JAs

stewmath
1st Aug 2011, 13:44
not a chance in hell that will fly, lol. Engines are not powerful enough to create enough speed to obtain lift.

Good on his for having a little project though

onetrack
1st Aug 2011, 13:50
One has to hope that this kid gets a somewhat better handle on the intricacies of flight and aircraft building, than what he has now... before he ploughs into something trying to get it off the deck.

One has to hope he has the nous and ability to learn about aircraft and flying technique, in a properly schooled manner... rather than just trusting to luck, instinct, and a lack of knowledge on just how final, a fall back to terra firma is, from anything above rooftop height... :suspect:

Wally Mk2
1st Aug 2011, 14:02
Oh boy..............this ought to be good. He may have the interest of which I admire but not the HP to get that 'thing' airborne! At best there's a total of 10 to 15+ HP by the looks of things & that is typically used for toy planes weighing in at around 20+ or Kg's. The props appear to be Master Airscrew brand (used on toy planes) placed back to front in order to produce thrust in a rearward fashion. If that is the case then talk about inefficiency!
Hopefully someone will guide this keen young fella in the right direction to fulfill a dream of a memorable flight rather than a memorial one !

Wmk2

swh
1st Aug 2011, 14:55
If during the long course of ages and under varying conditions of life, organic beings vary at all in the several parts of their organisation, and I think this cannot be disputed; if there be, owing to the high geometrical powers of increase of each species, at some age, season, or year, a severe struggle for life, and this certainly cannot be disputed; then, considering the infinite complexity of the relations of all organic beings to each other and to their conditions of existence, causing an infinite diversity in structure, constitution, and habits, to be advantageous to them, I think it would be a most extraordinary fact if no variation ever had occurred useful to each being's own welfare, in the same way as so many variations have occurred useful to man. But if variations useful to any organic being do occur, assuredly individuals thus characterised will have the best chance of being preserved in the struggle for life; and from the strong principle of inheritance they will tend to produce offspring similarly characterised. This principle of preservation, I have called, for the sake of brevity, Natural Selection.

One would describe this as being a perfect example of natural selection

apache
1st Aug 2011, 19:58
One has to hope he has the nous and ability to learn about aircraft and flying technique, in a properly schooled manner... rather than just trusting to luck, instinct, and a lack of knowledge on just how final, a fall back to terra firma is, from anything above rooftop height...

maybe he wants to be an airline manager instead?

Howard Hughes
2nd Aug 2011, 02:39
Hopefully someone will guide this keen young fella in the right direction to fulfill a dream of a memorable flight rather than a memorial one !
People all ready are!;)

SWH, ya kiddin aren't ya? It was with dreamers like this kid, where it all started!:ok:

hoss
2nd Aug 2011, 03:17
Absolutely, this young bloke is what it's all about. What a brilliant future lay ahead for him. Attitude is enough. Inspirational.

Andy_RR
2nd Aug 2011, 07:58
not so dissimilar to this one, in concept, if not in execution... :p

http://www.cricri.zoomshare.com/files/cricri1_0.jpg

I hope he doesn't have his enthusiasm beaten out of him by all his knockers.

Perhaps I'll get him around to drive some rivets in the RV-8?

Toy planes indeed, Wally! Wash your mouth out! They are UAV's these days.

Wally Mk2
2nd Aug 2011, 08:34
Hey 'Andy' sorry I knew the 'toy' plane bit would get someone going here:ok:

The Cri Cri you have added here is a far 'Cri' (pun not intended) from what this young kid is putting together. Take a look at the donks/props on the Cri Cri compared to the 'toy' plane engines the kid has got, that's enough to make one close their eyes watching it trying to get off the ground. At least there won't be enough power for this kid to get airborne with the 'whipper snipper' donks:). But b4 anybody shoots me for being negative the kid has the ability to do it right under some instructional guidance.

Wmk2

onetrack
2nd Aug 2011, 15:15
I see where RAAus has decided he's worth supporting, and have whipped the hat around for him. I trust that their faith in the young blokes keenness isn't wasted, and that he does well in his free aviation education.
Naturally, keenness isn't often enough, and I hope he has the necessary ability to absorb and understand the aviation theory and practicals.

Aspiring pilot gets a generous boost - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-02/aspiring-pilot-gets-a-generous-boost/2820920)

Dangnammit
2nd Aug 2011, 22:49
This young man is an inspiration, at 16yo.
I don't think he would even have had the chance to follow this path if still in Africa.
Fair enough it may never get off the ground, but how many of us here even thought of building such a thing as teenagers?
He has a lot to learn and I bet he will give a lot back when he does.

HarleyD
3rd Aug 2011, 05:06
Amazing!!!

Awesome effort and an outstanding demonstration of determination and enthusiasm. I hope the knockers and the wannabes don't crush the obvious passion that this kid has. i was building planes out of old dustbins and vacuum cleaners, and old bits of other planes as a kid, but that was for play, i always thought that the ATP would fund my real flying.

And it is so totally safe of course, being multi engined as well, way to go matey, strap a couple of pt6's on there and Wally be fighting you to fly it.

HD

Hi Pooley!, you were a bit of an enthusiast as a young buck, but at least you could get your hands on a something with a tailwheel at that age.