PDA

View Full Version : to drink or not to drink that is the question.....

fluffy5
1st Aug 2011, 05:20
Dear all in the sunny Uae. I was having a conversation with someone yesterday, and the topic was about going into work with a hangover. He is not a pilot, another staff member for an aviation company, who are bringing drug and alcohol testing to all the company employees. Where no know one should have trace alcohol in their system. Another rumour which was due to this was that the actual goverment is bringing in this law to all companies in the uae, not aviation related. So nurses, teachers and business people who ever they work for can now be tested for any trace alcohol......
There will be mass hysteria amoung the western masses, no alcohol after work during week days, that is the only thing that keeps most western teachers sane, after a very frustrating day.
This could be a rumour, but who knows...........:suspect:

jackx123
1st Aug 2011, 05:43
pretty much the same applies in europe. your employer (any industry) has the right to fire you with immediate effect if you are found intoxicated while at work. the limit usually goes with the legal limit to drive a car.

for sanity use prozac, it won't show up in the test.:E

skyvan
1st Aug 2011, 10:10
The rule in place is that anyone in a critical position should not be under the influence at work. I think this is fairly commonplace throughout the world.

Here the critical positions are defined wider than in other places, but are not excessive, they include the obvious:- pilots, ATC and some less obvious :- loader, loadmaster, trim clerk, dispatcher. SO simply put, anyone who's error could cause a hazard is required to be sober at work.

It is a general rule with the UAE, so will apply to taxi-drivers, crane operators, nurses, doctors and positions in almost every industry.

It really is nothing to get excited about.

White Knight
1st Aug 2011, 12:47
no alcohol after work during week days, that is the only thing that keeps most western teachers sane, after a very frustrating day.

Get a grip! A couple of cold ones is not going to make any difference... If on the other hand you're getting lashed every night then it may be wise not to go out during the week:p

Guided accordingly
2nd Aug 2011, 17:48
I think the point thats being missed here ( except maybe Jack ) is that the actual limit is not clear.

It's confusing as the assumed driving limit is 80mg, (railways and transport act 2003) and we all know the limit applicable to aviation, in eu Ops and car ops manuals is 20 mg, ie a quarter of the drink drive limit.

Then most companies state zero tolerance to alchohol. Is that zero tolderance to being over the limit, or zero tolerance to the slightest trace ?

Anyone that is tested here in the UAE by the police is prosecuted for having ANY (for that read trace, or anythiong above Zero !) alchohol in their blood.

So a couple of beers in the evening that would not be in anyway dodgy some 12hrs later, Might just spell trouble in the UAE.

A quick read of the local papers shows that the ''dubai court of misdemeanours'' ( i kid you not !) regulary fines people for merely having alchohol in their system, regardless of the amount !

Somewhat odd when the place is pushed as a liberal tourist destination, with a govt that makes a fortune from the 30%tax on booze, go figure!
:sad:

White Knight
2nd Aug 2011, 19:30
I think the point thats being missed here ( except maybe Jack ) is that the actual limit is not clear.

Mmmmm... I don't think I've missed the point at all!!!!! If you have a liquor license you WON'T get fined for having booze in your system:ugh::ugh::ugh: Unless of course you work in a drug/alcohol sensitive job, but then only if you exceed the limit set down by the regulatory body - for aviation it's the GCAA. I have no clue what the Ministry of Education lays down...

The thread starter is making hysterical and pointless comments. Full stop!!! And FYI 'guided acc' the discussion is regarding the UAE and not 'assumed limits in the EU':ugh::{:D

Eric Carr
2nd Aug 2011, 19:47
So a couple of beers in the evening that would not be in anyway dodgy some 12hrs later, Might just spell trouble in the UAE.
Well I guess it comes down to how big they are but a pint should be out of your system after two to three hours and goes for the EU as well as the UAE:E

Patty747400
3rd Aug 2011, 01:33
"pretty much the same applies in europe. your employer (any industry) has the right to fire you with immediate effect if you are found intoxicated while at work. the limit usually goes with the legal limit to drive a car."

You haven't been to Europe in 50 years have you?

crewmeal
3rd Aug 2011, 05:21
Gone are the days when crews used to party until midnight for a 3am pick up and the lounge steward would prop the Capt up with a black coffee before a night sector to the Far East. Gone are the days when you put certain pursers to bed and 8 hours later on approach they would ask if there is anything they could do :hmm:

In the old days a certain carrier I used to work for would send suspects to 'dry out' I guess we've got the media to thank for putting the aviation world to rights.

Guided accordingly
4th Aug 2011, 17:40
I'm not talking big nights out , or hangovers.

Youre saying a couple of bevvies after work should be gone by the morning. In all practicality I Totally agree !

But , Are you saying that there will be nothing at all in the bloodstream, as this is what I believe the police and company doctors are testing for. If thats so, thats good news, I stand corrected, maybe its not as bad as I thought !

But from what I hear, and from the stance my company takes, its absolute zero tolerance to anything above zero. (ie not 20mg as in europe - which does not consitute being drunk. ).

Im just not convinced that a couple of beers or a wine or two the night before would pass the ''zero to any level at all test'' Its not a test I want to risk taking either. Just curious, because to me it appears the only way to be completely sure here in Dubai, is not to drink anything at all !:hmm:

Guided accordingly
4th Aug 2011, 17:46
Someone raised the point re licences, maybe off thread but and I ask seriously, where do tourists stand ? Do they need an Alc licence ? Whats the score there ? You see in the papers tourists being prosecuted for having alc in their system ! (obtained from a licenced bar ?)

Craggenmore
4th Aug 2011, 18:07
You should never drink in turbulence :}

saywhat
4th Aug 2011, 19:49
You see in the papers tourists being prosecuted for having alc in their system ! (obtained from a licenced bar ?)

This is what you see in the paper. What inevitably happened is that some tosser couldn't hold his/her liquor and acted in a manner that should not be condoned in any society anywhere in the world. This behavior is definitely not tolerated here.

Old King Coal
4th Aug 2011, 19:51
For under $200 USD's you can buy yourself a very good personal breathalyser and thus take any / all anxiety out of the equation!

Professional Breathalyzers - AlcoScan Premium AL7000 Breathalyzer - Breathalyzer (http://www.usbreathalyzer.com/alcoscan-premium-al7000-p-36.html)

Which Breathalyser Works Best? AL7000 Gets Top Rating! (http://www.breathalyzersolutions.co.uk/Click.pdf)

For those occasional days when you might be feeling a bit 'overindulged' and / or 'anxious' before you go to work, blow in to your personal breath tester and if doesn't immediately read zero then call-in sick... aside from going teetotal, what could be simpler?!

bahboy
9th Aug 2011, 13:25
Too Hard to get take away grog now anyway,during ramadam:ugh:

gimmesumvalium
9th Aug 2011, 20:26
If Muslims can demand to wear head-scarves/face veils in Europe, then we should also be able to consume alcohol in the Middle East. If we are not permitted, or limited and controlled, then this represents ultimate hypocrisy by the Arabs. Furthermore, if Muslims demand Western Civil liberties when in western countries, then Westerners should, in fairness, be permitted to eat and drink in public in Middle East countries during Ramadan. If not, double standards are being demanded / applied.

Standing by for banning by politically-controlled moderator.

helen-damnation
12th Aug 2011, 04:23
gimmesumvalium

You're not from around here are you! :rolleyes: