PDA

View Full Version : Flying whilst holding?

countdeblades
31st Jul 2011, 22:18
Just had a thought about all those holding officers. How easy is it for them to get holding jobs that entail flying such as AEF? Could any service pilot request such a posting? After all it would be on an aircraft that they had already qualified on. So many questions, so little time!

PO Urquoi
31st Jul 2011, 22:23
Won't happen - too many retired Air Officers and Group Captains use this organisation to get in a few flying hours.

The_Captain
31st Jul 2011, 22:26
Seems like a no brainer. What could possible go wrong!

In thrust i trust
31st Jul 2011, 22:30
You can fly in the AEF if you have passed linton on ouse with a recommend, or a front line pilot like those nimrod co pilots who are waiting for new postings, must be great going back to fly a tutor with all that experienced gained in training and on front line.

countdeblades
31st Jul 2011, 22:34
Yeah, I was thinking about all those front line guys that don't have a seat any more. Would be a great shame for them, and us, if they ended up flying a desk.

In thrust i trust
31st Jul 2011, 22:41
Yeah after all that money spent on them and years training and flying to end up on a desk must suck..unless they deserve it that is..

countdeblades
31st Jul 2011, 22:47
ITIT, are you telling me that it is possible that a qualified co pilot on the mighty hunter returning to the tutor may not cut the mustard? Is that possible?

BEagle
1st Aug 2011, 06:36
No, it would be highly unlikely. Unless, that is, the prospective Teutor driver was deemed a supervisory risk.

Of course it wasn't all that long ago when there were quite a few UAS QFI slots, which the co-pilots could have filled after a CFS course. But since the UASs were dumbed down to Kraft duch Freude organisations with little flying, most of the pilots are FTRS retirees giving air experience flights, I gather.

There seems an obvious solution to that.....:\

In thrust i trust
1st Aug 2011, 10:15
Beagle...is it possible for a qualified front line pilot to be a supervisory risk on a tutor after ALL that training...especially in the AEF where the flying has very restrictive rules in force to protect the cadets (ie..no flying in cloud, sectors etc)...

Pontius Navigator
1st Aug 2011, 10:28
ITIT, a bit TiC, but yes. We had a co who left early, got a METS refresher for goodness sake en route to civil aviation. Flying down the Minches he spies a submarine. Without a word to the QFI he is round like a ferret in a pit after said submarine.

Uncle Ginsters
1st Aug 2011, 14:17
most of the pilots are FTRS retirees giving air experience flights, I gather.

There seems an obvious solution to that.....

I dared broach that very question with manning recently in light of the number of ME pilots either without a seat or without sufficient hours.

Somehow, it seems, the FTRS posts are being protected from quite a long way up!

countdeblades
1st Aug 2011, 18:42
Pontius, do you know if he managed to get the bomb doors open...!