PDA

View Full Version : Tim Newman - Another good guy gone...

Rossian
31st Jul 2011, 19:48
...Tim Newman, former CXX member died of a heart attack at his home in France last evening. He was a captain with Virgin. My thoughts are with Veronica and their children.

The Ancient Mariner

Hummingfrog
31st Jul 2011, 21:50
Fly high Tim we had some good times on 12 AEF.

HF

Captain Radar....
1st Aug 2011, 00:01
Sad news, I'm stunned. Great guy, great sense of humour evidenced by his skill as a cartoonist, then and now of maritime.....brilliant stuff.
I'll never forget his pragmatic approach as a flight commander when we got back to Jax after a bit of an incident with a very flare over the ammo dump on Andros......................... it could have been a lot worse if not for him.
I'll just have a big glass of red, rest in peace Tim.

xray one
1st Aug 2011, 06:11
Sad, shocking news...I had the pleasure of flying with him both at Kinloss and Virgin. Ridiculously young age.

brian_potter
1st Aug 2011, 07:07
So sad. Such a kind and thoughtful man, a true gent. Thank you for everything Tim, you'll be sadly missed.

Fortissimo
1st Aug 2011, 07:08
Agreed - an all round nice guy. What a shame. Glass raised this evening...

Safeware
1st Aug 2011, 12:57
Tim

A top bloke

My thoughts are with his family

sw

Miles Magister
1st Aug 2011, 13:01
Sad news. I still have my copy of 'Then and Now' by Biff and he will be remembered.

Best wishes to the family.

MM

flatscreen
1st Aug 2011, 15:06
How terribly sad.

First met Biffo on 236 OCU and we flew together many times over the years. He was one of those immediately likeable guys with a huge sense of humour, a natural humility and enviable people skills. Raising a glass to you, Tim.

My heartfelt condolences to Veronica and to the family.

TD

Winco
1st Aug 2011, 16:22
Oh how dreadfully sad.

Not much more I can add to those comments already made. In very simple terms Tim was just a bloody nice guy. Always fun to be with, always there 'for the boys' and always 100% reliable.

Tim, RIP my dear friend. Your compassion, humility and ability to get on with everyone put most of us to shame. God Bless.

RIP

Winco

BATS
1st Aug 2011, 20:43
Rest in Peace Tim - a true professional gone far too early !

pipistrelle
1st Aug 2011, 20:57
What a sad loss, Biffo was one of the larger than life characters on CXX. I can only offer my condolences to Veronica and the family. Rest in peace

wiggy
1st Aug 2011, 21:11
Saddened and utterly shocked when I heard about this from a mutual friend yesterday.

I knew Tim through IOT and Basic JP, but courses and postings meant we went our separate ways for 30'ish years and we lost touch. Then by good luck our paths crossed again, and circumstances subsequently dictated that we'd meet every couple of months or so and have time to sit and chew the fat, and compare notes about careers, airlines and the world in general.

He was always, as Winco said, a "bloody nice guy".

RIP Tim.

Pete R
4th Aug 2011, 16:02
I knew about this tragic and premature loss but missed the forum on PPrune. Tim was an outstanding gentleman and will be sorely missed by many. We were together on CXX in the 80's when the Crew 7 Harpoon became the symbol of CC7. That's a story in itself. I also had the privilege to take over "Scotland's Finest" from him and we were also Flt Cdrs back at Kinloss. A very talented and educated individual his artistic skill was second to one. In the 80's he was pivotal in providing material and artwork for the Sqn page in the Stn Magazine (The Illustrated Monthly Falcon & Advertiser) and his "Then & Now" book was superb as well as the framed cartoons that used to hang in the Scruff's Bar. He used to work so many hours behind the scenes (that sadly few saw) just to ensure the show stayed on the tracks and so many individual requests were fulfilled. A fine officer and a gentleman - RIP Biff. Heartfelt condolences to the family and also to one of his closest friends who was with him during that tragic time. Dam Shame.

The Snorkmeister
4th Aug 2011, 17:30
Very sad to hear about Biffo. Lord Greystoke passed me the news yesterday. Fond memories of Biffo and Pyro Nash in their tropical outfits with Pith Hats in Homestead Florida with the mighty CXX. Sincere condolences to his family.

Snorky