PDA

View Full Version : Part time flying jobs??

cimore000
31st Jul 2011, 14:53
Hello there,
I am currently in year 12 and plan to go to university and do paramedicine. This course will take 3 years and another year of intern. I am not entirely sure what the working hours are for the internship but it seems I will be done by the age of 22.
At the age of 22, I hopefully would have saved up enough money to commence flight training. Perhaps I will get my CPL in 2-3 years.
Now at age 25, I will hopefully be working part time as a paramedic and try to hour build at the same time!

This is where the problem starts, I am not sure how I can hour build 'part time'. For example, if I become a flight instructor. I will only be available for a few days of the week(paramedic job). This wont be convenient for the student to work around MY timetable. I don't know any hour building jobs that can be done part time and I am sure there are 1000 other pilots willing to go full time.

Lets hear those replies!!

Worrals in the wilds
31st Jul 2011, 15:05
Doing anything remotely cool while being a shiftworker is a problem, because you can't guarantee when your days off will be. It's hard enough to join a social footy team, let alone hold down two jobs with defined hours (which is what you'd be doing as a paramedic/flying instructor). The only way to work a second job around a shiftworking career is if you're a tradie, consultant or similar and can fit work flexibly around the shift hours.

You may be better off considering a primary career that is 9-5 and has part time work options within the 9-5 spectrum if your long term goal is to get a CPL. If you're interested in health sciences, maybe something biomedical or lab related?

cimore000
31st Jul 2011, 15:15
Ok so if I had an office job for 4 days of the week leaving 3 days a week to fly. What kind of flying jobs can I do within melbourne?

theflyingpig77
31st Jul 2011, 20:15
It isn't easy but I wouldn't let that put you off. I would even suggest that working shift work makes it easier to slot in a part time flying job because it gives you days off during the week.I have been working as a Cop for the last 10 years and have had part time flying job for the last 5. It turns life into a constant juggling act but it you have an understanding Chief Pilot then it can be done.As for what kind of part time jobs are out there, I fly pax in a C208 but instructing and meat bombing are good options.Good luck

PA39
1st Aug 2011, 01:05
They're all "part time flying jobs".....no security in the Industry.:ouch:

Howard Hughes
1st Aug 2011, 01:32
Mine often seems like part time, but took a lot of working full time to get here!;)

JMEN
1st Aug 2011, 01:37
Hey Cimore,

You are a young whipper snapper. Do what you want to do, do what you dream of doing. Keep in the back of your mind what happens if aviation does not work out for any reason? Lets say you fast track to flying pick a number any number say 4 years later you loose your av medical and cannot fly commercially? What then?

Great idea to have something to fall back on. It already sounds like paramedicine is what you want to do so do it! Aviation is going gangbusters over the next ten years, no rush, have fun finishing school, ya may hate it now but let me tell you and I reckon many would agree, 20 years or so on from that time we often sit back with a beer pissen ourselves at what fun it really was, some of the best years of your life.

Also if flying is what you want to do, do not let anyone talk you out of it. If you can afford it, start now? Do a lesson a week, fortnight, what ever you can afford.

BUT (mm starting a sentence with but), whatever you choose remember you are young, you have life ahead of you.

ENJOY!

:p

Wally Mk2
1st Aug 2011, 01:42
Sadly 'PA39' that's quite true you have to love flying to be involved & as for you 'HH" it's more an early retirement that 'job' of yrs:E:ok: What are they planing to do with you guys re the 350 training endo in the future?

Flying is a diff landscape these days from 20 yrs ago where once upon a time flying part time in GA was very doable ( I know I dd it for years)but now charters in general are way down with perhaps instructing & some seasonal scenic flying being all that's left for part timers.

Wmk2