PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Skywards

homesick rae
31st Jul 2011, 07:57
As a Silver card holder and, hopefully after my trip to the Philippines this week, close to a Gold Card, I just wonder about the difference between blue and silver!? Ok, I get to check in at the J Class desk but with the on-line check-in system and bag drop, doesn't make that much of a difference. I still have to pay for lounge access (non EK), upgrades non existent.. would it be better just to cut out the "middle man" so to speak? I travel economy on holiday bit biz trips are a mix of economy and J depending and I am content with an aisle seat, the ICE system and a glass of wine with my meal but I wondered how EK's Skywards fares against QR/GF/EY?

ferris
31st Jul 2011, 09:11
With QR silver you get J check in PLUS lounge access, although the Doha silver lounge is abysmal. It's a lot better at outstations where they buy the space.

Having said that, I am of the firm belief that shopping for fares/connections and just paying for lounges if you want/need them will yield better results almost every time.

homesick rae
31st Jul 2011, 09:32
Ferris, I agree - I tend to pay for the lounges and I am happy doing that. As far as I am aware the Silver card does not give me access in LGW/LHR?

Jason2000
31st Jul 2011, 10:22
Correct, EK Silver does not give you access to the LGW/LHR lounges (or any other outstation for that matter). Only lounge that a Silver card holder can use is the EK Business Class lounge in DXB T1, when you are travelling with Emirates.

ferris
31st Jul 2011, 18:02
Rae, to be honest, I can't remember. The last time I was there was a while ago. I didn't use the lounge, but I'm not sure if it was because I didn't get offered it or didn't have time. It was a while ago. I avoid those airports like the plague. Reading the T&Cs it states "selected airports"- which includes my regular haunts- especially BKK and MEL :ok: