PDA

View Full Version : Class A/B aircraft???

rocket66
30th Jul 2011, 07:59
G'day all,

I'm working on Law at the moment (insert yawn) and am having a bit of an issue finding the exactly what a "class A" and "class B" aircraft actually is. A google/prune search gives me definitions but they are European, are they the same thing in Aus?

CAR part 4 covers maintenence for them but doesn't really explain what they are. If anyone can point me towards a reference it would be awesome.

Thanks crew,

Rocket

ControlLock
30th Jul 2011, 09:40
Keep up the hard slog Rocket
Reference: CAR1988 Part1 Preliminary

class A aircraft means an Australian aircraft, other than a balloon, that satisfies either or both of the following paragraphs:

(a) the aircraft is certificated as a transport category aircraft;

(b) the aircraft is being used, or is to be used, by the holder of an Air Operator’s Certificate which authorises the use of that aircraft for the commercial purpose referred to in paragraph 206 (1) (c).

Note Subregulation 2 (2C) sets out how an aircraft is certificated as a transport category aircraft.

class B aircraft means an Australian aircraft that is not a class A aircraft.

Arnold E
30th Jul 2011, 10:38
class B aircraft means an Australian aircraft that is not a class A aircraft.

That's the bit I love.:E

mcgrath50
31st Jul 2011, 01:25
Whats a dog? Not a cat:hmm:

rocket66
31st Jul 2011, 04:10
Thanks control lock,

It seems too many people have thier fingers in too many pies that write these bloody rules. Will keep up the hard slog!!

Thanks again,
rocket

thorn bird
31st Jul 2011, 04:26
Not much difference in the way maintenance is carried out between Class A and Class B, just class A needs a warehouse full of paper work and a few more people to employ to shuffle it.

LeadSled
31st Jul 2011, 05:14
Thorn Bird has certainly got that one right.

Indeed, there may be considerably less maintenance done physically on a Class A aircraft, compared to a Class B ---- depending on the System of Maintenance used ---- a point lost on may, based on the fallacious logic of:

"Obviously, if it is A Class, that's better better than B Class"

And, of course, not to be confused with Cat. A.B,C.D,E aircraft for IAP procedures, or A,B,C,D,E,F cat. aircraft for aerodrome classification, or something similar, but not the same, in some countries, for RFFS categories.

Not to mention A,B,C,D E,F,G airspace classes -----

to which A and B were you referring to??

That's what I love about Australian aviation law, it's so clear and simple, so easy to understand, with absolutely no chance of confusion or contradiction, brought about by the complete lack of obfuscating complexity ---- and resulting in the doubtlessly true statement that the pilot in command of an Australian aircraft can always be absolutely confident that what he, she or it is planning to do or has just done, is lawful.

And I believe in Santa Clause, too!! And the statement:"I'm from CASA, and I'm here to help".

Tootle pip!!

rocket66
31st Jul 2011, 07:27
Lead Sled, you don't fly Fokker 50s out of YPAD do you? It sounds like I might know you from your posts??

Thanks for the help crew. I do have another one though. Assigned Altitude indicators and Altitude Alerting Systems. Do you need any for flight OCTA and which one(s) do you need in CTA. Once again it's clear as mud hence the question being in an Air Law exam written by CASA.

Rocket.

PercyWhino
31st Jul 2011, 11:01
CAO 20.18 Should help you out regarding the Altitude Indicating/Alerters.

:ok:

paper_plane
17th Jun 2014, 03:53
I like how the CAR's often say 'If CASA thinks...' - it sounds soo unprofessional.

Who's to imagine that CASA's judgement is any good, let alone safe?

rutan around
17th Jun 2014, 07:59
I'm working on Law at the moment (insert yawn) and am having a bit of an issue finding the exactly what a "class A" and "class B" aircraft actually is

If you're working towards a job in CASA's legal department that shouldn't be any handicap.

yr right
17th Jun 2014, 11:11
Class A requires a maintenance controller and a system of maintence. Class B doesn't require a system of maintenance . That the basics difference

Cheers

dubbleyew eight
17th Jun 2014, 12:35
....same as what yr right wrote.

in plain english
category a aircraft are operated commercially
category b aircraft are operated privately

LeadSled
17th Jun 2014, 13:47
in plain english
category a aircraft are operated commercially
category b aircraft are operated privately

Quite wrong, I am afraid, many Class B aircraft are operated for commercial purposes. Way back in 2011, controllock was correct.
yr right, re-examine your answer, you should know that all Australian (VH-) aircraft are maintained to an approve SOM, even if it is Schedule 5.
Tootle pip!!

yr right
18th Jun 2014, 01:47
Incorrect. A som is not a maintence schedule.

Cheers

India Four Two
18th Jun 2014, 05:51
not to be confused with Cat. A.B,C.D,E aircraft for IAP procedures, or A,B,C,D,E,F cat. aircraft for aerodrome classification

Slightly off-topic, but when I did my Canadian IR exams, the person who wrote the questions must have had a sense of humour:

"If you have a Class III medical, are you authorised to make a Cat III approach?"

hawkerxp
18th Jun 2014, 06:34
Class A: Transport Category Aircraft (>5700kg jet, >8600kg Turboprop, >???? kg Helicopter) or RPT (Including PA31 type of RPT)
Class B: Anything not class A

---- If you believe me stop reading here -----
The regs are actually simple to follow on this one the key is to follow the exceptions which leads you to the point where it is not just anything operated commercially. Most peoples mistake is not reading 206(1)(c). They just read 206 as a whole.

"Class A aircraft" means an Australian aircraft, other than a balloon, that satisfies either or both of the following paragraphs:

(a) the aircraft is certificated as a transport category aircraft;

(b) the aircraft is being used, or is to be used, by the holder of an Air Operator's Certificate which authorises the use of that aircraft for the commercial purpose referred to in paragraph 206(1)(c).

Note:206(1)(c) the purpose of transporting persons generally, or transporting cargo for persons generally, for hire or reward in accordance with fixed schedules to and from fixed terminals over specific routes with or without intermediate stopping places between terminals.

Note: Subregulation 2(2C) sets out how an aircraft is certificated as a transport category aircraft.

Transport Category Aircraft = Check the flight manual it says it in the front or

Jets with 10 or more seats or a maximum takeoff weights (MTOW) greater than 12,500 lb (5700 kg); or
Propeller-driven airplanes with greater than 19 seats or a MTOW greater than 19,000 lb (8618 kg).

CASA EX130/12 Exemptions as made
This instrument exempts operators of class A aircraft engaged in private operations from complying with regulations 42ZV and 42ZY of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988. Basically Don't have to have maintenance controller.

"Class B" means anything that is not class A

....If you still don't believe me I charge $600 per hour for further explanation....

mmm beer

yr right
18th Jun 2014, 07:39
Not quite.

Any aircraft used for rpt must be class A. Any aircraft can be class A if you wish it to be.

Cheers

yr right
18th Jun 2014, 08:07
So can a metro 23 or a 1900 be class A or B or both. Mmm plot thickens

Cheers

18th Jun 2014, 12:48
class A aircraft means an Australian aircraft, other than a balloon

"Class B" means anything that is not class A

So what is a balloon?

Oakape
18th Jun 2014, 19:48
So what is a balloon?

A big, generally round thing, that has a little bit of vertical control & goes where the wind blows it. :E