PDA

View Full Version : Endorsement considered as a BFR

airman1
29th Jul 2011, 15:33
Is an endorsement considered as a BFR? eg if you get a C310 endo or float endo.

The regs state there must be navigation proportion of the flight but most people get a another endorsement during the 2 year period and it's considered as a BFR.

Thanks

airman1

Horatio Leafblower
29th Jul 2011, 22:25
No reason why a short flight planning exercise can't be included in an endorsement, and a short mock nav embarked upon.

The instructor doing the training will just need to a little more than a "bare" endorsement and will need to endorse your logbook that you have satisfactorily completed an Aeroplane Flight review in accordance with CAR 5.xxx

Triple Captain
30th Jul 2011, 00:01
Under the regs the instructor who is conducting the endorsment must have approval to conduct a aeroplane flight review

djpil
30th Jul 2011, 00:43
CAAP 5.81-1 from CASA's website will answer most of your questions (perhaps raise new questions), airman1. Nothing in the regs mandating a navigation exercise.

ChaseIt
30th Jul 2011, 01:39
An approved grade 2 otherwise a grade 1 instructor

drpixie
30th Jul 2011, 02:39
The normal substitute for a BFR is an approval that involves a flight test/demo - something that finds you competent (or perhaps not!) A rating issue or renewal normally counts.

airman1
30th Jul 2011, 08:18
Thanks for the info guys

Very interesting for many years I have always keep a current instrument rating so I have never had to do a BFR as such.

The CAAP 81.1-1 states a flight review for a lic not including a navigation exercise Should take approximately 2 hours. So as long as the boxes are ticked and the right questions asked an endorsement Should do the trick and be a but more fun.

PA39
30th Jul 2011, 10:48
Hang on a mo.....isn't it called a AFR. Plus You'll find it has to be conducted in the aircraft type which has recently or regularly been flown. Not sure guys you'd have to check up the regs and CAAPs..... I got absolutely ostracised once for saying an IFR renewal constituted a AFR by a very senior FOI.

JustJoinedToSearch
30th Jul 2011, 11:48
Very simply, yes an endorsement counts as an AFR provided it's done by a grade 1 (or grade 2 with AFR approval). Doesn't matter if it's a nav or 2 hours or any of that rubbish.

(5)A private (aeroplane) pilot who, within the period of 2 years immediately before the day of the proposed flight, has: (a) passed a flight test conducted for the purpose of:
(i) the issue of an aeroplane pilot licence; or
(ii) the issue, or renewal, of an aeroplane pilot rating; or
(b) satisfactorily completed an aeroplane proficiency check; or
(c) satisfactorily completed aeroplane conversion training given by the holder of a grade of flight instructor (aeroplane) rating that authorises him or her to conduct aeroplane flight reviews;
is taken to have satisfactorily completed an aeroplane flight review.

Oh, and
I got absolutely ostracised once for saying an IFR renewal constituted a AFR by a very senior FOI.
(5)A private (aeroplane) pilot who, within the period of 2 years immediately before the day of the proposed flight, has:
(a) passed a flight test conducted for the purpose of:
(i) the issue of an aeroplane pilot licence; or
(ii) the issue, or renewal, of an aeroplane pilot rating; or
(b) satisfactorily completed an aeroplane proficiency check; or
(c) satisfactorily completed aeroplane conversion training given by the holder of a grade of flight instructor (aeroplane) rating that authorises him or her to conduct aeroplane flight reviews;
is taken to have satisfactorily completed an aeroplane flight review.
You are right, and even the most super duper senior overlord FOI saying otherwise is WRONG. No opinon, no interpretation, WRONG. The regs are strict, and it would be a liability not to know them:E.

Of course if you talk to your instructor about using an endorsement as an AFR it's probably best to include a small nav or similar. But not strictly, legally, necessary.

LeadSled
30th Jul 2011, 16:21
IFR renewal constituted a AFR by a very senior FOI.
Just another example of an FOI who has got the bull by the tits. Sadly, all too common.
Tootle pip!!