PDA

View Full Version : B767 or B738

dash8pilotCanada
29th Jul 2011, 09:24
If you were faced with two posibilities B767 PIC or B737 NG PIC, what position would take. Note the NG is in a better place and more money.
The reason this thread is in the Middle east forum is, the NG position is in the ME.

B767: Pro: Wide body PIC, Con: less money, worse country.. and the B767 is an old aircraft, if I was to leave there arent to many jobs.

B737NG: Pro: Modern aircraft that is in demand, more money Con: stuck on a narrow body for longer period..

Thanks

WYOMINGPILOT
29th Jul 2011, 09:34
I would pursue the 737 NG job. There are over 25 ExPat contracts out there for 737 NG Captains. The 767 is sadly a dying breed and maybe 3-4 contracts currently out there. You will also probably fly more hours and you definitely will become a better pilot with the 737 NG. You will do 4-5X more approaches and landings in a 737 NG job and it will be a stepping stone to a larger Boeing aircraft with NG technology much mre modern than the 767. I have flown both and jumped at the chance to change into the NG given its HIGH Marketability. Best of Luck!

BBJ King
29th Jul 2011, 10:14
B737NG Modern? LoL :p

Aussie
29th Jul 2011, 11:01
hehe was just thinking the same... few mates just left our EJets for the NG... a generation behind....

Luke SkyToddler
29th Jul 2011, 12:01
The actual aircraft you fly is the least important thing ... the whole money / work / life / family balance is what matters.

If the NG was for a *cough cough* rapidly expanding Dubai based lo-co for example, that worked you to the bone and made you do subcontinent night turnarounds 6 nights in a row with min rest in between ... and the 767 was located in some place with a sustainable roster pattern where you could get to some nice destinations and weren't a shattered wreck on your days off, then I would say no contest mate :ok:

A lot of people, including myself, came to the sandpit being all star struck by the money and the nice new type rating and the promised "cosmopolitan lifestyle", and got a very rude shock when we discovered how severe the workload was, what a dull flea pit the town was, and how badly it affected the other areas of our lives such as family.

dash8pilotCanada
29th Jul 2011, 14:25
Well the B767 is going to be just the opposite to the NG interms of Roster.
Asia to Middle east with lots of night turn arounds.

What I am trying to know is the which is better career move, for long term progress and oppertunities.

Also last I checked the NG was more modern than the B763..

Immigrant
29th Jul 2011, 14:37
Also last I checked the NG was more modern than the B763..

This sounds like a joke for the guy looking for 767-737 PIC position :}

Are you allowed to drink alcohol??? :E

Skylight Dome
29th Jul 2011, 18:45
Yeah... you know, I do get the feeling that you have no idea what you're talking about. This sort of question may be asked by a newbie First Officer who's in the lucky position to have a choice between two jobs.

But for somebody who is about to become a PIC, you sound somewhat ridiculous. Sorry. :=

Nimer767
29th Jul 2011, 19:14
try to Google how many 767s are still in operation and compare it with number of the 738 in operation and then you will decide :)

Non Zero
30th Jul 2011, 05:26
... better look for a 777 position ... cause in a couple of years, despite the so glamorous future pilots shortage campaign, they both will be old and you'll end up paying for an other TR...