PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Art:Night Freighters

Aye Ess
29th Jul 2011, 07:56
Each painting is 20cm x 25cm acrylic on stretched canvas. The white flecks on each piece are just reflection of the scanning light on the high gloss finish & are not visible on the paintings. Also the colours & crispness seem to be lost in the scanning process.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/ScanSaab.jpg?t=1311925211

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/scanmetro.jpg?t=1311925032

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/scanBAE146.jpg?t=1311924879

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/ScanArgosy.jpg?t=1311924709

As the dark,purple cloak of night draws stealthily from east to west,swarms of nocturnal flying freighters hurtle twixt darkened 'dromes. Commanded by brave & diligent pilots, characterised by an obvious lack of 'Ray-ban Aviators',they swiftly bring Sydney Morning Heralds fresh to Adelaide,plump newly picked Bowen mangoes to Melbourne or the very latest Sudokus to Sydney.

To the men & women of the night freighters......WE SALUTE YOU !!!!

HomeJames
29th Jul 2011, 08:08
Hullo AS,

those are magnificent, especially the pencil.

Desert Flower
29th Jul 2011, 08:11
Each painting is 20cm x 25cm acrylic on stretched canvas. The white flecks on each piece are just reflection of the scanning light on the high gloss finish & are not visible on the paintings. Also the colours & crispness seem to be lost in the scanning process.

What???? No Westwinds!!!!!!

DF.

Jamair
29th Jul 2011, 10:13
What???? No Westwinds!!!!!!
These paintings are acrylic - if you tried to paint a Pelair Westwind the paint might wash off under the water*.

Another great piece of work AS :ok:

(*reference Norfolk Is for those who didn't get it.....)

PLovett
29th Jul 2011, 10:24
Wot.............no Diesel 9s'! :eek:

Seriously, fantastic art work - really like it. :ok:

Stationair8
30th Jul 2011, 07:50
Definetly need the Ipec DC-9, Ansett B727 and Electra.

das Uber Soldat
30th Jul 2011, 08:07
Fantastic. :)

Can I get a higher res scan of one of them?

Aye Ess
30th Jul 2011, 08:29
das Uber Soldat, those are the biggest I'm allowed on Pprune,but if you PM me your email address,I'll send you bigger piccys. They are very fuzzy on the scan. In real life the colours & crispness are WAY better.

stationair 8, I had an enormous list of freighters to choose those 4 from. One day I'll do freighters of Westwind,B727,DC9,DC3,Electra,Carvair & Bristol Freighter.

tasdevil.f27
30th Jul 2011, 08:50
As usual fantastic work!!!

PLovett
30th Jul 2011, 11:40
Ahh.........the Bristol Freighter (or Frightener). Remember one having an engine failure out of Hobart when I was training. Because of Mt Lord the pilot had to turn left through the circuit at Cambridge. The poor sod in the tower was desperately trying to get the three aircraft in the circuit there out of the way.

Later got to have a look at the cockpit of the beastie as the poor engineers changed the engine in pouring rain and no hanger. In those days you could walk out onto the tarmac and say you were from the aero club and could you please have a look inside. No one ever said "no", just "don't touch anything". Different days.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
31st Jul 2011, 01:17
Don't forget the old Piper PA-31/350, the good old workhorse for many companies like Airlines of Tasmania, Australian Air Charters, Flinders Island Airlines.

Lots of people got a start at Airlines of Tas on the Heron and then moved onto the Pa-31/350, flying the TNT night freight run out of Hobart to Launceston then Tullamarine.

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2011, 08:04
"AE" I can only hope yr not married there, yr misses would be an aviation widow!:-) Again amazing work:D:D The old 'Arg' is fab the rest although excellent are still too modern to be of any interest:-)

Don't forget the L35's they have done freight as well around the traps inc Melb with TNT I think back in the 80's??

Wmk2

Aye Ess
31st Jul 2011, 08:37
So many night freighters....so little time. Maybe I should just be a night freighter artist. Yes Wally I too,am of the older generation. Memories of the Wards Learjets,Bristol Freighters,Argosys,Electras & when I was a schoolboy watching the Ansett Carvairs clatter overhead. My wife kicked me out years ago,& just as well. My chockers loungeroom is my gallery,the dining room is my studio,one bedroom is a painting store room & the other two bedrooms are full of blank canvases & art supplies.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWw2jctjdoAxSGXvnPOTDkwCB1Z7jhHBfmOrYHIem QRY4H6Jb-WQ

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2011, 08:46
"AE" to sum up yr last post................YR IN HEAVEN THERE buddy:ok::ok:No misses.............join the club (it's expanding) sold mine on Ebay many years ago, damn sellers fees costs a bomb !:E

In the words of someone famous .............."ahhhhh women are like elephants to me, nice to look at but ya wouldn't wanna own one:..........:E:E

Wmk2

Chief galah
31st Jul 2011, 09:02
Wally

Do you remember the undignified exit of the Argosy's at Essendon?

CG

Aye Ess
31st Jul 2011, 09:07
Galah, I was just speaking to another 'aviation tragic' today about the Argosy's fate. Imagine if one had been donated to an aviation museum.

Here is pictures of the end. You can all look. I don't want to see.

VH-IPA AW-650 Argosy (http://www.aussieairliners.org/argosy/vh-ipa/vhipa.html)

megle2
31st Jul 2011, 09:17
How come no one has pushed for a painting of the Cessna 209.
It hauls more than its share

john_tullamarine
31st Jul 2011, 09:26
Remember one having an engine failure out of Hobart when I was training

I don't recall that .. he should have followed the escape and turned right at the threshold .. or was the failure after the left turn to intercept track ?

about the Argosy's fate.

Ron T has a lot to answer for for cutting them up. He only got a few thousand as I recall and that in the face of other offers to but at least one as I recall for a gate guard. I remember watching the chopper cut them up ...

PLovett
31st Jul 2011, 09:39
John, it was probably 1968, the left engine failed after crossing the HB 30 threshold. I suspect that the remaining engine pushed the nose left and he decided to "go with the flow" as I don't think the climb performance on one was anything to write home about.

It was certainly the left engine because I can remember sitting in the port seat looking at the poor bu@@ers quietly drowning outside the window.

yowieII
31st Jul 2011, 11:03
I remember the Frightner, Argosies, Diesels, Lears, and a faint memory of a B18 in and out of EN when I was a young tacker, must of had an affect as I flew the "modern" 4 engine job many years later...man I'm gettin old:}

john_tullamarine
31st Jul 2011, 11:14
after crossing the HB 30 threshold

Apologies - I misread your post - Argosy on the brain from some of the earlier posts, I guess. Many interesting memories of the Bristols pre-IPEC Aviation .. wonder what Ivan and Rob Bennett are up to these days ?

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2011, 11:16
Yeah 'Chief' I do recall the butchers axe dropping on the old screamers.
I bet a few EN residents at the time held a BBQ celebrating the demise of the old noisy buggers:-)
Putting out a request to know what became of the old PBY that was based at EN ( I think late 70's) with more aerials on it than a US secret spy post!
I remember chatting to one of the crew where he said if it ever landed in the bay that's where it would have stayed for good, on the bottom due more holes in it than Juliar's Carbon Tax crap!:}

"AE" those pix will make some old salts have a tear in their eyes:{ Love to know what happened to the old CB bombers too at EN, used to love crawling over them.

Hey 'Chief' when ya gunna let me up into yr lofty perch there?:)

Wmk2

Fris B. Fairing
31st Jul 2011, 22:57
Wally

The Catalina to which you refer is probably VH-EXG. Fortunately there's a happy ending. The aeroplane has been returned to military configuration for display at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook. I remember it once flew into Brisbane and someone suggested to the captain that "he should have given everyone a thrill by putting it down on the Hamilton reach of the Brisbane River" (which used to be a flying boat base). The response was: "It would givem a thrill alright. It doesn't float."

On the subject of the demise of the Argosies. The greatest irony is that the person named was also on the board of the nascent National Air and Space Museum of Australia. With a preservation policy like that it's not much wonder that NASMA never got off the ground. I believe that the Moorabbin Air Museum saved one of the MLG legs.

Rgds

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2011, 23:07
Thanks 'Fris' for the update I do recall the 'Cat' being EXG, there where a few reg'd EX's A/C around at the time I think.Good to see the old girl didn't go to the bottom somewhere:-)

Wmk2

Chief galah
31st Jul 2011, 23:36
Wal

I think the then tower manager retrieved the rudder bar? from the
Argosy wreckage.

I'd love to invite you up, but I've been out of it for nearly two
years now. It's a bit hard to get an invo myself!

Cheers

CG

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2011, 23:48
Ok 'Chief' looks like my one & only visit to the TWR back in 1978 or so was my first & last:{

Wmk2

dogcharlietree
31st Jul 2011, 23:50
Ron T has a lot to answer for for cutting them up.
Not wrong. The Sims "Claw" took only minutes to butcher them. Disgusting.

Don't forget the L35's they have done freight as well around the traps
Ah... Wards Freight Express. 'WFE, WFJ and don't forget Sludge 'SLJ ;)

The 9's were fanbloodytastic :ok:

PLovett
1st Aug 2011, 02:25
Actually John it is I who should apologise to you. I meant to write that the Bristol had taken off on R30 and the engine failure occurred after it had crossed the R12 threshold but before reaching 500' where the Pitt Water departure commenced. :\

IIRC a Bristol lost one over Bass Straight and couldn't maintain height on the remaining one. Finally wound up in the ditch with the loss of both crew. :sad:

Another memory from the late 60s' was a DCA seminar at the Tas Aero Club at Launie when they had an entertainment budget. The spread included heaps of food and drink and overnight accommodation for non-locals was in the rooms in the adjoining hanger. Copious amounts of food and drink later the drunken slumber was rudely disrupted by various Bristols and DC-3s' running up just outside as they prepared to depart back to Essendon from the night freight runs. :eek:

Just as well there was no DAMP then, the air inside the C206 the following morning on the trip back to Cambridge would have set off a breathalyser, let alone any proper reading. Fun times. :}

john_tullamarine
1st Aug 2011, 03:34
IIRC a Bristol lost one over Bass Straight and couldn't maintain height on the remaining one. Finally wound up in the ditch with the loss of both crew.

Indeed, I was thinking about that as I re-read your earlier posts.

The radio operator/FO on that aircraft was a chap whom I had trained up through his theory subjects some time earlier. He would have had a very good career ahead of him - bright and keen young fellow with a very quick ability to learn.

Alas, the cruel and fickle finger of fate. As they say, only the good die young .. the rest of us sort of fade away amongst the ravages of arthritis and forgetfullness.

By George
1st Aug 2011, 05:57
The Bristol lost was VH-SJQ on 10th May 1975, Les Barnes was the Captain (ex ANSW) and the other crew member was indeed classified as a Radio Operator. One result from the enquiry was to have two endorsed pilots as crew members, introduced by Gordon Howe, the new Chief Pilot. SJQ was a Mk 21 with slightly smaller engines than the 31. Its sister, ex SJG, is the one at Point Cook while the surviving 31, VH-ADL ("Adolf" we called it) lives in retirement at Moorabbin, locked behind a fence where it can do no harm. Sorry to sound like a complete Anorak, just can't help it sometimes. Nice paintings by the way.

PLovett
1st Aug 2011, 06:05
Its not surprising that the second crew member was referred to as a radio operator. My impression from sitting in the cockpit was that it was next to impossible for the person in the left seat to reach the radios given the huge width of the centre console.

To enlarge upon some earlier information:

Flying the Bristol Freighter (http://members.tripod.com/ahsa_q/articles/bristol.htm)

john_tullamarine
1st Aug 2011, 06:37
The names come back.

Gordon Howe I jousted with vigorously on many occasions - a thorough gentleman with whom I spent much time at Air Express in those early days although not as a pilot. Lived not far from him for many years. Les Barnes, Len Veger.

Never realised that Georgie Palmer flew for Air Express. Knew him well at Ansett although our paths diverged later.

Tmbstory
1st Aug 2011, 10:01
John Tullamarine:

The name Gordon Howe brings back some good memories from his time in Papua New Guinea.

Tmb

tail wheel
1st Aug 2011, 10:28
The name Gordon Howe brings back some good memories from his time in Papua New Guinea.

Yes indeed, during his time with DCA/PNG CAA. :E

My guess that would be somewhere around 1978 to 1980? (But I could be very wrong.)

john_tullamarine
1st Aug 2011, 12:12
If I recall correctly, Gordon was brought on board to set up and run the (ex-QF) DC4 side of the operation ?

Tmbstory
1st Aug 2011, 16:19
Tail Wheel:

As I was going there, Gordon was coming out. It was late 1989.

Tmb

Al E. Vator
2nd Aug 2011, 04:27
A/C in question:
Google Images (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=Ansett+Carvair&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1920&bih=1009&tbm=isch&tbnid=212vLmtSwM7e7M:&imgrefurl=http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-4/vh-inm/1125.357.html&docid=YWXGh-V0ANhDTM&w=700&h=420&ei=fHs3TvyeJY3qrQeEx4jpDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1439&vpy=103&dur=1706&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=195&ty=101&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=206&start=0&ndsp=54&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0)

and

http://16right.com/MessageBoard/Cargo%20Local/Ipec%20Argosy%20AW650%20VH-IPB%2019801100.jpg

any chance (or has it already been done) of a great Aye Ess version of:
http://www.16right.com/MessageBoard/TAA/TAA%20DC9-31%20VHTJQ-.jpg

Al E. Vator
2nd Aug 2011, 04:31
Nothing beats this though:

http://www.16right.com/MessageBoard/TAA/TAA%20B727-200%20VH-TBO%2019800700.jpg

For topic relevance (freighters):Bloodstock Air Services B727-100 VH-LAP Melbourne Tullamarine | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/saints09/3883249781/lightbox/)

tail wheel
2nd Aug 2011, 04:39
As I was going there, Gordon was coming out. It was late 1989.

I'd 'gone pinis' by 1985 and know Gordon arrived well before I left. So maybe he was in PNG from approximately 1980 to 1989?

I think I heard that Gordon passed away not so long ago?

Aye Ess
2nd Aug 2011, 11:11
AWWWW, Al E. Vator, Stop. Teasing. Me.....

Love the Carvair,it's crying out to be painted. The B727,I have an idea of doing the DHL a/c VH-DHE,it looks fantastic with the all yellow paint scheme. I have done the TAA DC9,but it didn't photograph so well. Are you ex TAA?

Stationair8
3rd Aug 2011, 08:30
One advantage of the Bristol over the DC-3, was with the autofeather it could depart with a much reduced take-off visibilty.

Didn't the Bristol Freighter originally get certified in Australia to operate single-pilot and carried a radio operater?

Somebody must have a copy and can scan in, of the Air Safety Digest with the photos of the Bristol Freighters operating the last few flights.

A few more possibilities for Aye Ess,

Ansett/TNT B707,

Murray Valley Airlines Shorts S360,

Bandeirante (Bassair, Air Tasmania, Schuttle Airlines)

Avcentres Aerostars,

Ted Rudges Doves,

Gulfstream VH-FLO

Executive Airlines Aerocommanders when they carried the newspaper to YSCB and last but not least,

The MU-2.

Aye Ess
3rd Aug 2011, 11:20
Phew !!! Stationair....you are a wealth of knowledge. I'll add those suggestions to my 'must paint' list. Thanks.

Stationair8
18th Aug 2011, 06:14
No doubt after flying a Bristol Freighter across Bass Strait in the middle of winter, the skipper would have rolled a cigarette on his way across the car park to his old Holden. Jumped in pulled the choke out, pumped the acclerator a few times and the old 186 would have roared to life, engaged first on the column shift and drove off into the sunrise, using the mark 1 back of the hand demister to clear a spot to peer out the windscreen, while gently touching the brakes approaching the intersection, after all don't want to wear out the newly purchased retreads!

Aye Ess
18th Aug 2011, 06:17
And been disgusted that he had to get fuel at the local Ampol,but it was now up to 14c/litre !!!

PLovett
18th Aug 2011, 06:19
Retreads!......................What............he's sent the missus out to work again! :}

Seriously, I take my hat off to those who flew Bristols and 3s' across the ditch in the middle of winter. Its bad enough now but with nothing but an NDB with all its associated weaknesses, especially at night, or, at best, a VAR they really had their work cut out for them. :D

Stationair8
18th Aug 2011, 07:25
14 cents a litre, and the guy would have checked your tyres, checked under the bonnet and washed your windscreen!

Fris B. Fairing
18th Aug 2011, 07:35
and you wouldn't need a voucher from the corner grocer.

blackburn
18th Aug 2011, 12:59
S8 - Small correction to the Bristol - it wasn't Auto Feather but Auto Pitch Coarsening that was fitted - bit like an earlier version of the NTS system in TPE 331 turbo props. Two Pitot like tubes were fitted to each wing - one in the prop thrust area and the other near the wing tip. The system was designed to recognise a change in the thrust from a failing engine compared with the free air flow detected by the pitot near the wing tip. If an engine failed, the result was that the failing engine prop was driven towards feather, but the pilot would have to carry out the proper identification to complete the feathering action. It did not qualify as an auto feather system.

Kharon
18th Aug 2011, 13:50
When the large 'luxury' freighters i.e Argosy and DC9 were running around, worrying about the odd (and there were a few) fuel leak, there was a small army of dedicated real freight dogs.

P 166 Sydney - Gove - Sydney: 140 TAS 14 hour shift, no auto pilot, single pilot, ADF + 200 mcs DME.

BN 3 - Sydney - Quirindi - Perth - Adelaide - Melbourne Launceston - Sydney.

TS 600 Sydney - Charlieville - Isa - Darwin and return.

The list is endless, not glamorous and probably not worth the acrylic - but they were there, same ramp, same weather without aircon, co pilot, ground power, de ice and or radar,

Where are their pictures then ??. Bloody Argosy - girls ship.

Selah.

megle2
18th Aug 2011, 21:38
Kharon Those are worthy of their own thread

Al E. Vator
18th Aug 2011, 22:42
Too many levers.....
http://www.philwieland.com/postcard/r/d7067.jpg

Decent fuselage space though:
http://ukmamsoba.org/mystery_022709.jpg

Excellent and very detailed IPEC history for those interested (with Argosy photos!):
http://www.tollipec.com.au/ipec_history.pdf

http://aussieairliners.org/argosy/vh-bba/1920.027l.jpg

sixtiesrelic
19th Aug 2011, 22:56
Too many levers???
Now the Argosy had been cleaned up from the mess its precessor the Viscount presented.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g32/sixtiesrelic/viscountcock.jpg
What a Pommy abomination this thing is.

CENTAURUS your comment in the other thread is right... an endorsed pilot would have trouble here when hands were flying about

Slasher
20th Aug 2011, 12:37
....flying a Bristol Freighter across Bass Strait in the middle of winter,

I remember when one of 'em went in the Strait - SJQ.

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-SJQ2.jpg

Pilot and radio op both killed. Poor buggers. :(