PDA

View Full Version : Value of PLB's?

EN48
28th Jul 2011, 14:12
Here is rather convincing anecdotal evidence of the value of a PLB: Teens Participating in Outdoor Leadership School Suffer Bear Attack near Chulitna | Vertical - Helicopter News (http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=17602)

It is often said that ELT's fail to operate in a significant per centage (I have heard as high as 85%) of accidents. PLB's are now routinely available for about $250 street price - would seem a worthwhile bit of safety equipment. Of course, assumes that someone on board survives in a condition to operate the PLB.

malabo
28th Jul 2011, 16:17
Everyone in the bush here now carries a Spot Messenger. The SOS function sends your lat/long accurate to 2 meters every five minutes until the batteries quit about a week later. Not sure if they work everywhere in the world. Some el-cheapo operators use them for sat-tracking their choppers. $100.

EN48
28th Jul 2011, 16:24
Some el-cheapo operators use them for sat-tracking their choppers. $100.

Isnt there an annual service subscription with SPOT? IIRC around $100-$150/year?

malabo
28th Jul 2011, 21:29
Basic is $100/yr, tracking is an extra $50/year and lets you transmits position reports automatically every 10 minutes. You could also use either the Help or SOS button for 5 minute position updates, but the SOS would send the cavalry coming.

Redhawk 83
29th Jul 2011, 00:36
PLBs getting better; many different models! How good depends on your environment; over land or water etc. Some float, some don't unless you put a neoprene cover on it. Newest ones are floaters and have a built in strobe! But the best (and most expensive) for a overwater type; is a water activated one where it can stay in the survival vest pocket (below the water) since it has a 406 antennae that is around the neck incorporated around the vest and is also a voice capable radio. I think the GPS antennae is also around the neck but not sure. And all these activate the SAR system! The Spot Messenger I won't comment on since I really don't know that system..

Former SAR Helo guy and RCC Officer in Charge