PDA

View Full Version : Tiger - will the punters return

nomorecatering
28th Jul 2011, 12:54
During a night out over the weekend I was amongst a group planning to travel. They were saying the wanted to book Tiger cause it was cheaper than the others. Its seems the recent safety woes and the grounding of Tiger hasnt even registered.

So I guess its a yes....from my limited sample.....

I was quite surprised.

Aussie
28th Jul 2011, 17:09
Mate.. truth be told. Money talks. People dont care, long as its a cheap flight, they will take it...

Same as people say they wont fly aircraft with single pilot... of course they will. End of the day we live in rat race, and money is always the winning factor.,

Andu
28th Jul 2011, 23:10
The (hate the word, but it's appropriate) "demographic" of Australian air travellers has changed in the last 20-30 years to be made up in large part by those who used to travel by Greyhound bus. They buy a ticket - the cheapest one available - and get on the bus 'n go.

If their tickets are cheaper than Jetstar, Tiger will have full flights with a week.

Dangnammit
28th Jul 2011, 23:22
I heard tiger decided to stay grounded until Aug 1 after their casa grounding.
Also heard that major changes are afoot and that they will be a force in this country.
Rumour has it that ongoing maintenance issues should be resolved now with new fleet scheduling.
I suppose we can only wait and see.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Jul 2011, 23:37
People were still flying to Bali a week after the bombings. Not many leisure travellers, but some were going.

Plenty of people also buy really unsafe cars that crumble into a big pile of dust in an accident.

People will fly Tiger. My guess is not as many as did before (and that wasn't all that many) so there may not be enough pax to keep the show on the road, but I doubt there'll be zero ticket sales. The average pre-grounding Tiger pax probably didn't give a toss about safety anyway.

Wanderin_dave
28th Jul 2011, 23:50
Why shouldn't people buy tickets?

When (if?) CASA says Tiger's good to go then people will take that as a tick in the saftey box. If I wasnt so jaded when it comes to things CASA i would too.

I totally agree with the sentiments above regarding the demographic of people who fly Tiger (and J*). But these are people who otherwise would probably NOT fly at all. This means more a/c in the air and more pilots in work.

I've got mates in Tiger, as I expect many here do. Why would we WANT to see the company fail?

I'm not all for Tiger, the company sounds like a fustercluck, but I do wanna see the problems fixed and the boys and girls back in the air.

Metro man
29th Jul 2011, 06:52
If the company has been gone through with a fine tooth comb by CASA and all issues fixed, or else they wouldn't be let back into the air, then why not ?

The spotlight will still be on them and they can't afford any incidents so they sound like a good bet. Get in early and grab the cheap fares which will be on offer to get the ball rolling again.;)

redned
29th Jul 2011, 08:20
So Andu you have a problem with people(ordinary people, that is)buying tickets with Jetstar or Tiger?

superG3
29th Jul 2011, 22:01
" people are, on average fairly smart, the public on the other hand are dumb"
Words to live by!

Just like Juuulia will get re-elected in two years, yes people will fly Tiger again.
The Aussie "public" have short memories.:ugh:

Tiny1
29th Jul 2011, 22:46
I have heard all the comments about it being Bogan Air; we will all be bogan once Julia has finished taxing us.

As like Wanderin_Dave I have a friend that works for Tiger and know he and some of his colleagues have been putting in a lot of work behind the scenes in the last few weeks to get ready for the 1st. I have flown Tiger on many occasions and not had any problems.

For the safety issue I have got to have faith in my fellow aircraft engineers people still fly QF after in flight shut down of engines, O2 bottles exploding, A/C leaving the US with faulty fuel pumps. J* with maint records mixed up A/C safety equip not getting serviced.

My family and I have had tickets booked to Fly TT for the last 9 weeks to fly next Saturday.

Skystar320
30th Jul 2011, 02:16
Well, its better than J* so, I'll be flying them on the east coast when the price is right, same as my workers.

Andu
30th Jul 2011, 04:10
If you could ratchet back the outraged indignation for one moment, redned, you might actually agree with my comment. 30 Years ago, the average Joe Citizen couldn't afford an airline ticket except for a very special occasion. Today, he can, and where then, Joe Average would have caught an overnight Greyhound bus, he gets a cheapie airline ticket on LCCs like Jet* or Tiger - a ticket that often costs less than it does to leave his car parked at the airport while he takes his trip!!!

Now, if you'd like to stay up there "in high dungeon" ([sic] - :) thank you Julia - and I'll try not to be 'hyperbowlic' in my comments to follow), you might not be ready to accept, as many would, that there are quite a few people out there who don't read anything except the sporting pages and the TV guide and don't even know about Tiger's problems. Even many of those who do will still buy the cheapest ticket without giving a thought to safety. Hence my comments that Tiger will fill their flights if they offer the cheapest ticket price.