PDA

View Full Version : new in dubai, need advice on where to buy a car...

EY763ER
28th Jul 2011, 06:56
Hello!

Im new in dubai and wanted some advice on buying a car.
Was preferably looking for a second hand car rather than a brand new one.

Any advice on where to get some good deals?

cheers!

fliion
28th Jul 2011, 07:04

Pull_up
28th Jul 2011, 07:10
Just to extend a bit on that question.
Which car retailer in dxb gives discount to EK pilots please?

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Jul 2011, 07:10
Just started to become popular.

Not certain of www address but they should be searchable.

There is a big on in RAK, and I think I saw an advert for DXB too.

I am thinking about this route also.

glf

777boyindubai
28th Jul 2011, 13:44
I have heard that rhe Ford dealer is offering 15% off certain models to EK staff. Someone I know bought an Explorer.

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Jul 2011, 13:53
Does EK count as gov.

glf

ewok69
28th Jul 2011, 15:25
Best place is Souk or dubizzle.Most cars on Dubizzle are owner drivers,lots of them in a hurry to sell,for whatever reasons.
Haggle like crazy if you buying private,dont buy from a dealer,they buy private then up the price by at least 20%.
Make sure you buy from outside the sellers house,not in a carpark.Ask to see some ID,passport if necessary.lots of dodgy people will say they are the owner so check the names match,should be on the insurance cert also.
check the car reg on Dubai Police website,in the past I actually asked in the police station,this is not really necessary though,I'm a bit ocd with paperwork.
Have the car checked 100% in a garage,soooo many cars in Dubai have major problems due to the heat,lack of servicing and the sand/dust.
AAA and X-service Centre on Sheikh Zayed rd are excellent.they will do service checks for a few hundred dizzers.:D

FJCruiser
30th Jul 2011, 17:55
There are also ad boards in supermarkets like Spinneys. Park & Shop in Safa has a big ad board too.Well worth checking.

PB4
31st Jul 2011, 06:57
found this page had some interesting info
Car buying selling in Dubai (http://www.dubaifaqs.com/car-buy-sell-in-dubai.php#tips)

YYZ
1st Aug 2011, 14:36
I've just bought a new 2010 explorer with 30k knocked off the list price, and yes, ek staff do get the gov discount prices.

YYZ

EY763ER
1st Aug 2011, 14:59
Hey YYZ,

Please can you tell us how we know more about these government discounts and which manufacturers will offer it for cars.
I am new to EK and want to get a car, and this big discount sounds very tempting :)

many thanks

ewok69
1st Aug 2011, 20:04
Sorry but the Ford Explorer is a pile of rubbish,its the second worst jeep on the market,after the sister 4x4,Mercury.
AVOID at all costs!!!
Seriously awful.I wouldnt pay 10 thousand DHMS even for a new one.
Again I'm sorry if this offends anyone but buyer beware!!!!!!
Its also a depreciation nightmare.You will be lucky to get half yer cash back if you want to sell it and believe me,you will want to be rid of it!
Check any customer surveys.:=

Dubaian
2nd Aug 2011, 06:57
I believe the cars cannot be test driven at these auctions - caveat emptor.
And at one time individuals could not purchase one vehicle. Only dealers could buy in batches (bulk lots). But that may have changed.....

I bought privately (in AUH) from an ad in a supermarket. 18 months old, transferable balance of warranty. Immaculate condition. One ex-pat owner from new. FSH.

Right now is a good time to buy (if there ever is....?) from Dealers if you want new. Ramadan special offers. Mitsubishi advertising aggressively. Do you want a free telly?

Al Futtaim Automall have loads of used vehicles - browse on line. Google it. Inspected and tested and with warranties - but at least 20% up on the private deal prices IMO.

YYZ
5th Aug 2011, 09:13
I disagree about the explorer but everyone has there opinion.
I wondered up and down SZR and asked the dealers if they gave any discount to EK employees, long way around I know but at least it's from the horses mouth, I got mine from al tayer.

Yyz

Eau de Boeing
5th Aug 2011, 13:19
Thank you for sharings informationings YYZ.

Guess you've got nothing better to do in BKK!!

:D

Royalblue
5th Aug 2011, 21:50
Bought mine from Audi from 205k down to 167k can't beat that. Government prices also for EK employees.

YYZ
6th Aug 2011, 07:06
Twas a recovery period ;-)

Bus429
6th Aug 2011, 13:27
Kia sportage 4WD great value at 71K.